Youth participation?

yellowfin

Roll Tide!
Belligerents
Jan 2, 2014
Lancaster Co., PA
I'm working on a project to help my club (and actually getting credit for it as a business class project) on youth participation in matches. Having a 2 year old son myself and waiting for him to be big enough to shoot or at least attend matches with me had me notice that not too many folks have theirs alongside them. I'm curious as to why that is and what we can do about it. Here is a survey about it and I would greatly appreciate your help, naturally of course to benefit all of us in the long run. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SLC8BTZ

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie (ICLASA)
Belligerents
Oct 24, 2007
Wautoma, WI
Took your survey.

I have 2 boys. 12 and 7. The 12yo has been going to comps with me since he was 8. My youngest will be starting this winter. Some comps are too physically demanding for a small kid to tote around and maneuver a heavy rifle safely. We stick to mostly probe matches for now. The 12yo might get in a prs type match in the coming fall/spring though.

I find taking one for their friends out shooting with us helps them want to do it more. Reactive targets also keep their interest a lot more than punching holes in paper.