Which (non-Applied Ballistics) Kestrel?

I'm looking at picking up a Kestrel to use for gathering reliable data on the shooting conditions, but I'd rather not spend extra for the Applied Ballistics versions. The non-wind items won't change often enough to be a pain to punch into my Applied Ballistics app when large changes present themselves, and the wind itself is something that I should be able to judge so long as I have a numerical value for it (and the AB app does make it rather easy to punch in the wind, if I wanted to get calculated wind holds).

With these things in mind, which Kestrel unit would you recommend that I pick up to just measure all the relevant data for shooting? I'm not very familiar with the Kestrel lineup, hence my request for assistance.

I'm looking at picking up a Kestrel to use for gathering reliable data on the shooting conditions, but I'd rather not spend extra for the Applied Ballistics versions. The non-wind items won't change often enough to be a pain to punch into my Applied Ballistics app when large changes present themselves, and the wind itself is something that I should be able to judge so long as I have a numerical value for it (and the AB app does make it rather easy to punch in the wind, if I wanted to get calculated wind holds).

With these things in mind, which Kestrel unit would you recommend that I pick up to just measure all the relevant data for shooting? I'm not very familiar with the Kestrel lineup, hence my request for assistance.
You pretty much have only one choice, a 5500. I recommend spending the extra coin for one with LINK so that when AB eventually talks to the kestrel your atmospherics will auto update. However, I strongly recommend justbgetting at a minimum the sportsman 5700. It has AB in it and you can upgrade later to the elite with just a firmware upgrade.

https://kestrelinstruments.com/catalog/product/view/id/41/s/kestrel-5500-weather-meter/category/46/

Having spent way too much on toys.. I moved over to and thru several generations of Kestrels; up to the last 5700AB. Tired of all the bugs, curves that do not match other AB offerings and the resulting effort it takes to manage a bunch of calibers, multiple rifles in each with several loads each, they have less of a place with me any longer.

Back to a good watch with absolute, compass, temp. Either of the devices suffer from temp issues in direct sun.. kinda were you need the devices and must end up creating the offsets anyway.

Casios amongst others are cheap and work well. But my favorite watch now, the Fenix 5x, can use a BT remote temp (tempi out of the sun) . Simple, no battery issues, effective.

Another VERY low cost option is offered by BallisticsArc that will give you bluetooth (but not with AB) with the entire weather station less than Kestrel gets for the BT option.. The app really has some cool features going for it.. Mainly you can spit entire stages out with individual target matrix or as all the same..

Last edited: