what power do most of you guys use @ PRS style matches?

phillip61

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 14, 2012
texas
I'm always up around 25X and I'm beginning to think that is hurting me. I'm watching these other guys and they are getting their shots off way faster than I am. I think its because it's taking me to long to get settled in on the target. I mean my center dot is moving all over the place and it takes me a minute to get calmed down enough to take the shot. I rarely finish any of the stages because I run out of time. I think my time is going to making the shot, not moving from point to point. .......please feel free to corect me where I need to be corrected.

lash

Swamp Rat
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
It took me a while before I realized that running at 12-15 power, and even at 10 power depending on the stage, is quicker for target acquisition. Like already said, I only dial up in power when shooting smaller targets at larger distances and on my belly. Usually, these have set target distances. If I need to move quickly and locate targets under time, I’m dialed down again.

Rugster

iPew
Belligerents
Apr 23, 2017
I shoot at higher power than most but it depends on the stage. If I’m going to be panning/searching for targets I’ll start at 15x. If I’m pounding away at the same target and have a good field for natural point of aim vs natural terrain (i.e. PRS barricade stage on a lone berm, 400 yards) I might start at 18-20x. Distance matters as well since field of view is a function of distance. I do see a lot of new shooters starting too high on magnification searching. I’ve shot more rounds than I care to admit to get to a point where I put my rifle on a barricade or the ground and when I look through the tube the target should be there.

25x is too much. You really should only hit that in a prone troop line scenario or KYL rack.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm

phillip61

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 14, 2012
texas
The one stage I did really well on was 2 shots each @ 300, 350, 400, 500, 600. I set my dope for 400 and used my ret. for hold under and over for the other shots and I went 9 for 10 . I been practicing using my ret. and I was pleased how that stage turned out.

Dthomas3523

Fuck your feelings....and peanut allergies
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
10x for movers and extremely high mirage.

12-18x for most everything else.

Dthomas3523

Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Also worth noting, unless targets are pretty close together or in the same FOV, don’t be searching while on glass.

Look over the optic and get settled behind the rifle. If it’s not close by, you’ll need to adjust your position for NPA anyway. So faster to look over the optic instead of through it.

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
Also worth noting, unless targets are pretty close together or in the same FOV, don’t be searching while on glass.

Look over the optic and get settled behind the rifle. If it’s not close by, you’ll need to adjust your position for NPA anyway. So faster to look over the optic instead of through it.
But my scope caps are so big and only work in the vertical position — lol

morganlamprecht

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 5, 2013
I’m an odd ball, i shoot pretty much everything 20-27x and just manage recoil like a mofo unless it’s a giant target close with a really tight time

If I zoom out too far my right eye (non dominant) has a hard time focusing with everything smaller

I don’t search for targets with the scope...find it with the eye, kill it with the scope

Hollywood 6mm

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
12-18x here, unless it's a dedicated prone stage, long range KYL, etc where target discrimination at distance is needed. That said, I am in the SE where movement and lateral target changes are quite common, so dialing up too much can make it a pain to get on target, even with good body indexing.

teerex

Belligerents
Jun 13, 2012
Columbus, OH
Mostly 14-16. Sometime less of more depending on whats going on. If it's s long range price stage I might max it out, but for the most part I don't touch it all day.

MountainHunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2018
Montana
12x almost always. I run a Mark 5 3.6-18 and if I put the throw knob/lever straight up at 12 oclock it’s basically right on 12x.

Only time I crank it up to 18 is long range prone, 900 yards and beyond.

Sheldon N

Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut
Belligerents
Sep 24, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I'm usually in the 15x range.

Like said above, find target with naked eye, build position, and then transition to looking at target in scope. IMO you should never be doing the "zoom out, hunt around, zoom in" with the scope magnification.

DFC

General
Belligerents
Nov 4, 2002
Arizona
Don't waste you time with wearing out a barrel looking to gain a 1/2" at 300 yards when the targets at that range are 5 inches anyway.

gconnoyer

Terminal Lance
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2017
St Louis, MO
10-15x
Probably 90% of the day on 12x unless its a wide field of fire, then I'll back down to 10.
If its a prone stage and the targets are relatively close, I might do 15-18 for that stage.

Meety Peety

It's possible
Hessian
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2017
San Diego
I'm usually in the 15x range.

Like said above, find target with naked eye, build position, and then transition to looking at target in scope. IMO you should never be doing the "zoom out, hunt around, zoom in" with the scope magnification.
I agree. The zoom out, find target, zoom in thing is a time sink that leads to a lot of guys rushing shots and/or timing out. Practicing the above will help you acquire your target quickly regardless of what power you are on.

Dthomas3523

Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Not sure if it’s “right” or not, but I’ve recently been getting into the habit when I get behind the optic if I don’t immediately see the target or a landmark extremely close to it, I get back off the optic and reposition quickly.

I feel like it’s faster target acquisition and better for natural point of aim to come off the optic than it is to search.

Reactions: gconnoyer

phillip61

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 14, 2012
texas
went and bought me an egg timer and went to the range today. Turned my power down to about 12X , I put 90 seconds on the clock. The first thing I did was do a few dry runs on the clock. I could really tell right off the bat I was faster. I probably did the dry runs for about 45 minutes. Then I went Live fire. I started on the 500yd target. still a tad shaky, but not as bad as it was. I think I hit 8 out of 10 . …...thanks for all the advise.

phillip61

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 14, 2012
texas
my next question would be with say just your rifle resting on a game changer bag, what is the best way to steady your rifle when you get behind it?