What is the most accurate long range 338 lapua magnum ?

Fulcrum

Violant by Nature , Peaceful by Choice
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2019
Hi , what do you guys think of this 338 lapua ? I can’t seem to find any feedback about it.88C8FC63-B7A1-4F7E-858B-2A849CA21485.jpeg

lash

Swamp Rat
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
I do not have experience with that brand and load of .338 LM ammo, but you question is a bad one. I suspect that you meant to ask what factory .338 LM ammo have others found to work best for them in your (insert brand of rifle, action, barrel length) rifle and based upon those responses, make a decision as to what you will try in yours.

Barrels will vary as to which load they prefer and if you are only using factory ammo, your best bet is to buy a box of each of a few types and brands and try them in your rifle.

Also, it will help to narrow your responses if we knew what your intent was for your rifle. General plinking, match level performance at long range, hunting, ELR shooting? That way you can get input on the best bullets for your application at the same time.

For what it’s worth and without additional information, generally Lapua and Prime make high quality ammo that performs well. Some people have good luck for their use with the lower cost brands.

Personally, I load Hornady 285g bullets over 91.4g H1000 and get excellent repeatable results out to 1200 yards or so. After that, I like flatlines loaded to 2950 FPS for longer distances. Good luck with your journey.

Fulcrum

Violant by Nature , Peaceful by Choice
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2019
I do not have experience with that brand and load of .338 LM ammo, but you question is a bad one. I suspect that you meant to ask what factory .338 LM ammo have others found to work best for them in your (insert brand of rifle, action, barrel length) rifle and based upon those responses, make a decision as to what you will try in yours.

Barrels will vary as to which load they prefer and if you are only using factory ammo, your best bet is to buy a box of each of a few types and brands and try them in your rifle.

Also, it will help to narrow your responses if we knew what your intent was for your rifle. General plinking, match level performance at long range, hunting, ELR shooting? That way you can get input on the best bullets for your application at the same time.

For what it’s worth and without additional information, generally Lapua and Prime make high quality ammo that performs well. Some people have good luck for their use with the lower cost brands.

Personally, I load Hornady 285g bullets over 91.4g H1000 and get excellent repeatable results out to 1200 yards or so. After that, I like flatlines loaded to 2950 FPS for longer distances. Good luck with your journey.
You are right . I own a sako trg 42 338 LM. Trying to get the best performance in long range target shooting. I think this helps narrowing down the answers

powerspc

Sine Metu
Belligerents
Mar 15, 2018

Hijacking in progress...Lash, specs on rifle please. I’ve given up on Retumbo for two reasons, it never shot the 285’s well out of my barrel no matter what I tried and it’s generally impossible to find. H1000 I have pounds of since my 300WM loves it; think I’ll work up a load with that and see what happens. Thanks!

lash

Swamp Rat
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
You are right . I own a sako trg 42 338 LM. Trying to get the best performance in long range target shooting. I think this helps narrowing down the answers
Those Sakos are nice.

Hijacking in progress...Lash, specs on rifle please. I’ve given up on Retumbo for two reasons, it never shot the 285’s well out of my barrel no matter what I tried and it’s generally impossible to find. H1000 I have pounds of since my 300WM loves it; think I’ll work up a load with that and see what happens. Thanks!
The rifle is unimpressive, just a stock Savage 110 LRP that I bedded and cut in a cheek piece. The bedding job made all of the difference. Lapua brass with the 285 BTHP seated 0.020” off the lands shoots lights out with single digit SDs at a mild 2780 FPS.

To not further derail the OPs thread, PM me with any further questions. (y)

powerspc

Sine Metu
Belligerents
Mar 15, 2018
Those Sakos are nice.

The rifle is unimpressive, just a stock Savage 110 LRP that I bedded and cut in a cheek piece. The bedding job made all of the difference. Lapua brass with the 285 BTHP seated 0.020” off the lands shoots lights out with single digit SDs at a mild 2780 FPS.

To not further derail the OPs thread, PM me with any further questions. (y)
Thank you!

dyecocker1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2019
I also have a 42, mine eats Berger 300 grain OTM, hated hornady bullets. Can hold a pretty damn tight pattern at 1850 yards. Give the Berger factory ammo a try maybe.

AIAW

★★★★★
Belligerents
Aug 16, 2001
Central Texas
Retail 338LM ammunition. No tweaking, no customization. Expensive venture to possibly find just "acceptable" results.

1578434449165.png

There are just some calibers that are meant to be reloaded for. This is one of them. If I had to go retail though, I'd probably look at Berger's offerings - or factory Lapua.

Quicksilver338

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
I have shot my trg 42 enough to shoot out the factory barrel. I never shot factory through it beyond zero and brake in. With hand loads it shot the scenar bullets well and shot the berger 300 otm exceptionally well. The Hornady 285 eldm didn’t seem to like it as much. Try Lapua factory ammo with either 250 or 300gr scenars or berger 300 otm factory ammo first. Either option will yield Lapua brass which you can use to reload if you decide to go that route. Expect 10+ reloads from that brass when prepped correctly every time.

below is a group with my hand loaded 300 berger otm ammo. Typically performed a ragged hole at 100 and touching at 200.2FB04886-38D0-40D2-AA0C-FA9775F43603.png

Reactions: lash