Weird shooting patterns

Jmccracken1214

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Thomasville, NC
I shot a match in SC yesterday with my new build (223) running hornady black 75gr. Shot great until half way through when I had a know your limits at 370, easy.... dialed 1.9 which is what the kestrel had called for, for me and another shooter. Rifle shot 18” high... that’s odd number 1.

second time, last stage. I’ve got skme
Easy shots at 300-400... i shoot and hit half mil off to the right..... no wind.. wtf?? Dialed left half mil and was back on target.

what could cause this? Slip in the receivers? I checked scope mount and it’s still tight. Running a BA premium 20” 223 wylde barel on aero upper/Anderson lower

hlee

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2012
TX
Could it have been an edge hit on the plate that caused the bullet to go wild, but not move the steel? I saw several of those yesterday, ROing a match.

Jmccracken1214

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Thomasville, NC
Could it have been an edge hit on the plate that caused the bullet to go wild, but not move the steel? I saw several of those yesterday, ROing a match.
No, it was a very clear impact way above the target and when shooting to the right, I could see my impacts in the dirt 12-16” to the right.
I’m wondering if I should tear it down and reassemble

Racer88

Firearms Pedant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2018
Help me understand how the parallax would cause me to shoot that far off
I've had groups that opened up quite a bit when I forgot to set the parallax.

Just an idea.

Of course, it could be all sorts of things. The first that came to mind was something was loose. But, you said you checked that.

Oh... Hornady Black. I found it to shoot some amazing groups... and then some UNamazing groups. The ammo was inconsistent for me.

Or maybe something is broken or "off" in the scope? Do a tracking test?

F

free_rider_151

Try different ammo and different optic, in that order. If no improvement, let us know

S197

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2019
How was the impact for the closers targets? I’ve only had a couple Nikon scopes but I did not have much luck with them. Also have you ran this rifle with other glass?