Video truing a Remington 700

Nov 7, 2009
Houston, Texas USA
Re: Video truing a Remington 700

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you very much. You're correct about this site. I've been on many forums, and in my opinion, this is the very best. BTW, <span style="font-weight: bold">I'm no one special</span>, but whenever an opportunity to help arises, I do my very best to do just that. Again thank all of you guys for you appreciation. I hope to give more in the future. </div></div>
I am afraid you are.
All I can say is WOW and these detailed videos are incredible.
Many thanks.

Feb 16, 2011
Colorado

Awesome! This is the kind of stuff that really shows what can be done with a stock gun to make it totally pro. Great job! Again, another great thread on the Hide that is truely instrucional & informative for the enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

I have a question maybe you can help me with on my Remington 700 5R mil-spec set-up. I want to set a Nightforce 5-22x50mm atop a nightforce 20moa 1 piece base, what height Nightforce rings will i need to mount it as close as I can get it to the barrel? maybe one of you has already done all this. Thanks!

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

You can use the Ultra light .885 rings. With an MTU barrel, the barrel is so close to the scope that the rubber lens cover won't fit, but with you factory barrel, this will not be a problem.

Aug 2, 2011
E. WA

STR, I actually joined the board to thank you for your work. I am happy to see folks share the skill building tips that take us all so long to learn. Good job, it is gonna pay off big time.

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

Thank you guys for all your support. I am in the process of retiring the rifle building part of my business. I will continue to build for fun from now on, and make videos that I think will help others as a way to give back some of what you have given me. I will post pictures of my home shop once I'm better organized. Right now it looks like a rats nest. Again thank you all.

Ozzie

Sep 10, 2011
S.C.

I just joined the forum today and would also like to say thank you for the videos they were very nicely done. If you ever decide to do another set of videos would you consider doing a set on timing the bolt and what all is involved in that. Thanks, Brian Brown.

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

Yes I ould be happy to film and post that when I do another one. I am currently looking for an older Remington 700 right hand short action where I will change the bolt body for a PTG which I have in my tool box. Once I have it in hand I will do the work. Thank you.

Ozzie

Oct 4, 2010
NorCal

fantastic series... I watched from start to finish. I understand ALOT more about how the Rem 700 is put together. ALOT. Thank you very much... appreciate all the basic machining tips you put forth for us non machinists.

clayne_b

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 18, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah

STR

I have never really looked into custom rifles. and i feel i understand ALOT more now then i ever did befor!!!! Great videos, keep up the good work i will be subscribing to your youtube channel. I look forward to your future videos!!!!

Clayne_b

Aug 10, 2011
NV

Makes the prices I have seen for action cleanup work sound cheap! That's a lot of work, but with a great result. Nice vids

Jun 26, 2011
U.S.

I have a question.. do you need/should true your rifle no matter how it shoots out of the box?

The shooting system im looking at now is a Rem 700 as well and I just want to know what type of modifications would be best to have the best shooting sytem for the price I pay.

I would love to do all the mods myself, but I lack the experience and the knowhow so I will have a local gunsmith do some of the work, but what work can I do myself and what should I leave to someone with experience?

Thx guys!

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

What I'm going to say is my opinion, and certainly not the only way to go. I'm sure others will agree, and some will have other ideas that also work, so here goes. If I were lucky enough to purchase a rifle that satisfied my accuracy needs, then I would just shoot it, a lot. Depending on what stock it came with, I might want to change it for one with a chasis system such a Manners or an AICS, which will do the trick without bedding. I do opt to bed them, but know of many that didn't, and got great results.

Second, I would have trigger work done if it is something other than one of Remingtons new triggers, which I would just replace with a Timney or Jewell depending on the intended use.

If you are going to have a gunsmith do machine work on your rifle, then pick one that specializes on precision rifle work, since you're paying for it. There are many here on this sight. I hope this advice helps, an good luck with your project.

BTW, thank all of you that have commented lately, I do appreciate it, and I will have new videos on my channel soon. Again, thanks to all of you!!!

Jul 15, 2010
Seattle, WA

Just had to swing in and say what an awesome dude STR is. He walked me through threading my first barrel, which came out fantastically. It's nice to see people out there willing to share their knowledge for nothing more than a "thank you" posted on a forum.

Dec 14, 2011
Texas

Like other have said, thank you for the videos. Now I know what is involved in truing and can appreciate the work involved.

Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA

Sometimes I wonder how and why people dig up old threads. <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT WITH THIS ONE I DIDN'T!</span>

I have no idea how to do machining work, but have always admired those that could.

STR. . . I admire your calm voice, your desire to have the camera focused on the task at hand, and your ability to explain the project steps in an easy to understand manner.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and giving back.

(applause!!!)

-G45

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

I would like to take the opportunity to say thank you to all of you. I also want to wish everyone here a very happy new year filled with your every wish.

Ozzie

Dec 21, 2011
Texas

Outstanding video's and much appreciated; you make it look easy! True artwork, I also like the fact that now people should know what to look for when they are buying a "trued action" or at least having one done. Depending on smiths the prices vary a lot but asking them what operations they perform when trueing an action is very helpful! I'm sure not everyone is as detail oriented or thorough as you. Again thanks for putting this together!

Jul 29, 2011

Was having a rifle built when I came across those videos sometime ago. I honestly had no idea what was actually involved.

Thank You.

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

The Remington 700 is probably the one that this is most done to, given all the aftermarket parts available for it. Any factory rifle can be a great shooter out of the box, but there are no guarantees on any of them, unless the manufacturer specifies an MOA guarantee. There are some very good factory rifles that shoot great out of the box all the time, but are no less expensive than a custom rifle. Example, Accuracy International AE, or AW. BTW, you are very welcome. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom