Very little elevation adjustment after zeroing

So Burris XTR Signature are not the only solution nor even the best solution to scoping a precision rifle. However, they can do some things that will save your bacon or your hard earned money in certain situations. And if your facing one of those as noted above, use these rings with confidence....They just work.
FWIW I have several friends that have used them and now of several others how have had problems with tightness and erectors confirmed after box testing.

So while I agree they might be helpful in some situations where a base isn't going to work or isn't available; going down that road as the first step does not make a lot of sense. Understanding what your intended uses are for your system and getting the best for that purpose within your budget, or deciding to save are better process.

Now, I'll make some rather large assumptions because the whole path of the OP is totally typical sounding.
1. He bought the Lowest cost 25x range scope because it looked to have the "field style features" (reticle and exposed turrets) and the power he would "need".
2. He has a Creed
3. He is on SH
4. He is concerned about elevation.

So my assumption is that he is hoping to shoot long range distances or even you might find in your typical PRS match (some over 1K). I will say that if the op never is going past 500m, then that scope and combo should be fine and my assumptions are wrong..

Now, he already has an investment that isn't best suited for those tasks.. Does he cut bait and sell with a hard restart, just spend another $40 on a 20 MOA base or go with the much more expensive plastic inserts? He already knows he can only use 20MOA.. The how idea of switching out insert to go to a mile, is just so.. IDK no words here, except except making pigs sing...

Again the main mistake, probably started with thinking that he needs 25ish magnification for longer range. But he would have been far better off with a used 3-15 that provides more travel (maybe with a couple extra $ even FFP) if he is indeed interested in precision long range.. Heck most the guys I know, even guys winning PRS matches run around 15x even on long range targets. I acknowledge that in this example it is about target acquisition; but my point is that 15x doesn't slow people down from making solid hits past 1K.

Sure I get being on a budget, but use your money wisely. If one is taking time out of their schedule, driving to the range, sending a $1.25 (6.5) plus with each squeeze... why cut corners so much?

Last edited:
I understand some reluctance when it comes Burris XTR Signature Rings. I thought that too before I used them. If fact I was advised to use them by a noted hater of all things Burris, who used to grace these pages under the name of Nobody. Long time posters pre-2010 will well remember that user. He still hates all things Burris except for these rings apparently. And he is right. Since I'm the person that uses them and recommend them let me give you my rational for their use and deployment.

First, the Burris XTR Signature Rings are not a replacement/substitute for good quality bases and traditional rings. I've used bases by Badger, Nightforce, Seekins, and Ken Farrell mostly. My favorite ring choices have been mostly Badger Alloy, Nightforce Ultralights, Seekins and APA. But theese Burris Signature XTR Rings are useful and invaluable in certain specific installations.

These are:

1) When you acquire a rifle that already has a 0 cant base that does not allow you to maximize your scopes elevation potential to reach the needs of your application, and you still need to buy rings. This is why I first bought these rings. My Tikka CTR stainless came with a pic rail that was 0 MOA canted. Instead of buying a set of both a bases and rings, I just bought rings, and use the inserts to give myself 30 MOA of cant.

2) When you buy a scope, like the OP above with only 18 Mils total, and that has insufficient elevation for his application. After using 4.1 Mils to zero, a 20 MOA base will yield him less 10 Mils total. A 30 MOA may not work at all. With these Burris rings he can try 30 MOA, and if he can't zero @ 100 yds, he can adjust them down to 25 MOA and not have to buy a new base.

3) Another great place to use these rings are with custom actions that have integral 20 MOA bases, Usually thats enough with most any cartridge to reach 1kyds and then some. But maybe your round is good out to 1750 yds. and beyond, and the integral a 20 MOA base just won't get you there, and there's no option to just get another base. With the Burris rings you can choose to add another 5, 10,15, 20, or 25 MOA if you scope can take it

So Burris XTR Signature are not the only solution nor even the best solution to scoping a precision rifle. However, they can do some things that will save your bacon or your hard earned money in certain situations. And if your facing one of those as noted above, use these rings with confidence....They just work.
BobinNC, thanks for the reply. I will look into them, but may just go with a 20 MOA or the Burris XTR rings. We'll see, but thanks for that info. I appreciate it.

So I also just bought a Savage Stealth, except in .308. I also bought the Athlon Argos 6-24x50, same as the OP. Also, with these Burris XTR Signature Rings, what does this mean? "The plastic inserts let you choose between 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 or 40 MOA of cant." What exactly does the "can't" do? I appreciate the help in understanding this so I can set my rifle up the best I can. Thanks.
"Cant" and "can't" (can not) are not the same. Cant is simply another way of saying "tilt"or "slant". The plastic inserts provide tilt in whichever direction is needed to set your scope properly. If your bases do not have a built-in angle or cant, they are level. The plastic inserts make it possible to introduce the needed cant to suit your needs. Also, if for instance you already have a 20 MOA base, the inserts allow you to add more.

"Cant" and "can't" (can not) are not the same. Cant is simply another way of saying "tilt"or "slant".
Thanks for the English lesson Doubs! I know that, I was on my phone when I posted, and I'm pretty sure you have heard of that thing called auto correct right? Thanks for your reply.

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
"Cant" and "can't" (can not) are not the same. Cant is simply another way of saying "tilt"or "slant". The plastic inserts provide tilt in whichever direction is needed to set your scope properly. If your bases do not have a built-in angle or cant, they are level. The plastic inserts make it possible to introduce the needed cant to suit your needs. Also, if for instance you already have a 20 MOA base, the inserts allow you to add more.
It is almost impossible to type the word "cant" on a modern device without having to override autocorrect. It does it every time.

It is almost impossible to type the word "cant" on a modern device without having to override autocorrect. It does it every time.
Even worse is Tapatalk on my iPhone -

It makes weird charters when I try to use most common punctation. It's to the point that I am starting to leave words out and my writing sounding more Mandarin than English.

I can't type "can't", "let's" or even cheat with "lets"; "I'll" etc.. As an example, when I am on TapaTalk, if I tried to type >> That's great, let's go, I'll tell them when they're.. etc.. << it ends up being something like That'^As great, le^As's go, I'^Asll tell them when they^Asre.. --- so I have to go back a delete entire words when I remember, making it even harder to read than my poor typing is already.

Thankfully most one here are fairly forgiving of the hastily put together typing.