Upgrade Savage 10 or buy new rifle

TxWelder35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
Hey guys looking for advice on a set up out to 1000 yards.

I currently have a bone stock 308 Savage Model 10 Tactical with a Vortex Viper HS on top. I've been shooting at 200 yards with less than impressive results. Best group ive managed with the gun is right at 1 MOA. Average is 1.25-1.5 MOA. This is shooting the front on a sand bag, and a rear polyfill bag. Ammo is Federal GMM 175gr. I have not tried handload in the gun yet.

I am looking for sub moa accuracy. I don't need 1/4 MOA but 1/2-3/4 is preferable. Is this achievable with box ammo or am I going to be hand loading from now on?

I've read that dropping the barreled action into a chassis can help, but will that get me there or would I be better off investing into a new rifle instead? I've looked really hard at the Bergara b14 HMR.

I appreciate any advice yall can offer. Thank you!

Last edited:

OLD308

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2018
I have a factory model 10 that came with a McMillan a5. Still has the stock trigger. All I’ve done to it was cut the barrel back to 18”. Handloaded 175 SMKs and Lapua Scenars L all preform better than your experiencing. Now the interesting part. FGMM 168 goes in the same hole at 100 yards. At 200 1/2” is the largest it’s been. FGMM 175 at 200 averages 1”. So for what ever it’s worth that’s my experience.

Also, I learned while reloading for it that it really likes to have the bullets seated into the lands. I’ve head this is typical of Savage. I can’t confirm as this is my only savage. All my other rifles like a jump.

TxWelder35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
I have a factory model 10 that came with a McMillan a5. Still has the stock trigger. All I’ve done to it was cut the barrel back to 18”. Handloaded 175 SMKs and Lapua Scenars L all preform better than your experiencing. Now the interesting part. FGMM 168 goes in the same hole at 100 yards. At 200 1/2” is the largest it’s been. FGMM 175 at 200 averages 1”. So for what ever it’s worth that’s my experience.

Also, I learned while reloading for it that it really likes to have the bullets seated into the lands. I’ve head this is typical of Savage. I can’t confirm as this is my only savage. All my other rifles like a jump.
I give the 168s a try and see how they do.

TxWelder35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
Couldn’t hurt to try different ammo, and are you capable of sub moa groups?
Honestly I'm not sure. I've shot a TON and am A very well rounded shooter and my fundamentals are good, this rifle is the closest I've had to a precision rifle. I'm not sure if it's me or the gun making the groups that it is. I've shot out to 500 with the rifle and made hits on a 6" gong but am new to chasing group sizes.

Spblademaker

Don’t tell my wife
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 24, 2017
At least you are honest. That’s a good start. My 10 Stealth in 6.5CM averages around 3/4” with Federal, Winchester and Hornady match. But will shoot under 1/2” with Handloads. So I would see what the other match ammos do. If they all shoot around the same, try some load development. if it still isn’t what you expect, see if someone has a chassis you can try out, before you dump money into one.

GONE BAD

Private
Belligerents
May 8, 2013
Portland
Buy 2 boxes of factory ammo;
1 box of FGMM 168's
1 box of FGMM 175's
After that you can go down a thousand different rabbit holes.
Good luck 👍😁

Quest1000

Private
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2017
I have a model 10T in 6.5cm from Cabelas and dropped it into an XLR chassis, it shoots 3/8” groups at 100 using Hornady ELD 140m.

Cfshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Hey guys looking for advice on a set up out to 1000 yards.

I currently have a bone stock 308 Savage Model 10 Tactical with a Vortex Viper HS on top. I've been shooting at 200 yards with less than impressive results. Best group ive managed with the gun is right at 1 MOA. Average is 1.25-1.5 MOA. This is shooting the front on a sand bag, and a rear polyfill bag. Ammo is Federal GMM 175gr. I have not tried handload in the gun yet.

I am looking for sub moa accuracy. I don't need 1/4 MOA but 1/2-3/4 is preferable. Is this achievable with box ammo or am I going to be hand loading from now on?

I've read that dropping the barreled action into a chassis can help, but will that get me there or would I be better off investing into a new rifle instead? I've looked really hard at the Bergara b14 HMR.

I appreciate any advice yall can offer. Thank you!
I was able to get my cheap 700 ADL to shoot under 1” with factory Ammo, it only took 8 different boxes though. May just need to try a few other loads.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Belligerents
Aug 10, 2001
Arizona, good place for me...
My model 10FP was one of the last 260's made when Savage discontinued the chambering back in 2001. It shot high 190's (once) at 1000yd using handloads my first time shooting (ever) beyond 300yd (with the factory barrel). In 2003 it got a Lothar-Walther 28", 1:8" barrel and was used for several years in 1000yd F-Open shooting. It shot better than I could. Still does. It's my only custom rifle, and I don't ever plan to sell it. I own five other (factory) Savage rifles. I have never sold a Savage rifle.

Greg

Jknox1030

Woo Pig
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
TX,

I'm definitely not trying to persuade you either way... My only experience with heading down that rabbit trail with a Savage is that you'll dump a bunch of money in it and never get it back out... I did it... And regretted it. I had guys that were seasoned that tried to talk me out of it... I didn't listen.

There are much better base platforms to build around. There are inherent things that make a Savage rifle a bit dated and Struggle to keep up with better platforms...

Below is my old Savage that I took a bit of a bath on....

Attachments

TxWelder35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
TX,

I'm definitely not trying to persuade you either way... My only experience with heading down that rabbit trail with a Savage is that you'll dump a bunch of money in it and never get it back out... I did it... And regretted it. I had guys that were seasoned that tried to talk me out of it... I didn't listen.

There are much better base platforms to build around. There are inherent things that make a Savage rifle a bit dated and Struggle to keep up with better platforms...

This was the info I was looking for. So after you dumped the money into it what kind of results did you get out of it?

Jknox1030

Woo Pig
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
I upgraded the extractor, bolt lift kit, trigger job, chassis.... Essentially everything accept the barrel...

It shot fairly well, but after longer shot strings it would walk all over the place...

I realized I dumped money into that platform trying to overcome its inherent draw backs....

JMGlasgow

Private
Belligerents
Apr 13, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
TX,

Same here. Had a LH model 10, kept pouring money into it trying to polish a turd. It was accurate, but the scope base kept coming loose, always had terrible weak ejection even after the "upgrade" parts, bolt body was extremely loose down the raceway, limited aftermarket support, etc.

TXwelder, Do yourself a favor and sell or trade that rifle on something better.

I know I'll get flamed but I've had great luck with Remington. My new Rem700 SPS Varmint 308 in a Grayboe Renegade stock shot under an inch without really trying, and I only have 25 rounds down the barrel so far. Those loads I shot were for my match M1a just to get a basic zero. Load development between my 308 and 30-06 have been painless. And with a 700 platform, you can upgrade as you see fit.

TxWelder35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
Same here. Had a LH model 10, kept pouring money into it trying to polish a turd. It was accurate, but the scope base kept coming loose, always had terrible weak ejection even after the "upgrade" parts, bolt body was extremely loose down the raceway, limited aftermarket support, etc.

TXwelder, Do yourself a favor and sell or trade that rifle on something better.

I know I'll get flamed but I've had great luck with Remington. My new Rem700 SPS Varmint 308 in a Grayboe Renegade stock shot under an inch without really trying, and I only have 25 rounds down the barrel so far. Those loads I shot were for my match M1a just to get a basic zero. Load development between my 308 and 30-06 have been painless. And with a 700 platform, you can upgrade as you see fit.
I tend to agree with the trade it crowd. I dont think it's going to get me where I want.

However it'll be a cold day before I buy another Remington. There overall quality and QC has really gone down the tubes. Bought an 870 super mag and it's was by far the biggest POS I've ever used. There quailt ly has gone down so bad they ruined the best function pump gun of all time. Hi point would have had a better functioning gun that that. So I don't trust them to build a gun that's capable of doing any better than what I have.