Updated -RRS Tripod Barricade practice device?

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
3/20 Edited to ADD Video and at the bottom: Cattle Gate, Latter and Rolling Bar Simulator - videos added

I have built barricades before and they always end up too big and I get to lazy to move them around.

This time, I wanted something super small and light that I could dry fire with or take with me out to the range.

My RRS-TVC legs and TA-3 are so solid, that it has taken some of the skill out of the shooting; but figured using it for an adjustable height barricade, might be cool.

I been using a simple 2x4 on edge and it works fine, but wanted a bit more.

I did not want to over complicate it because the tripod can spin giving multiple options and provide adjustable height from near prone, to taller than I can shoot.

It approximately resembles the more rickety wood barricades. Of course, it does not let you work on rapid elevation changes like the classic steps, but does give near unlimited elevation choices.

Anyway, here is what I started playing with. It is not perfect, but works well enough with a repurposed 2x4.

The one (below) I have been using before the triangle option. It is a simple 2x4 with a dovetail plate in the 2 inch side and still my go to ....vvv

Per request: Add the the dims - Notice I cut off one redundant leg. Spinning on the tripod 180 allows for off-hand or strong side already.

Using the plate nearest the vertical allows for less leverage on the TA-3 when using it as a fence post.

Edited to add inspiration- actually I flat out copied, Natestreo. His post is near end of thread.

Chain/Swinger- below: Uses a metal AI latch with long SS wood screws semi-tight, to allow swiveling out of position.

Removable

I thought the easiest way to show the stability was with a quick cell phone video. The videos are meant to show how much the RRS tripod legs, head and barricade, move or don’t. That’s the point of the focus, not my ugly butt..

I used a height in the first two examples, that didn’t let me brace elbow to knee, or kneel. The iPhone is at a weird angle so that you can see the device..It makes the other stuff look a bit off-axis.

Videos in action below:

Fence post simulator below:

Swing rope or chain.. you can remove and shoot off the much more stable 2x4

Using the cattle gate below
BTW USING @JC Steel, Jake's TacTable in the rear on swing chains and ropes is wickedly effective (not shown in the video)..https://jcsteeltargets.configio.com/pd/276/tactical-table?cid=435&returncom=productlist&source=search

I took 4 phone videos and will post the other positions. But many more creative positions are available, I just didn't have the patience in the cold to fuss around more with the iPhone. Besides, you guys get the idea.. It is just posted to help see the movement of the system, it is not as much as some wonky barricades, but more than the really nice ones.

As a side note, running the right-hand action, left-handed, where reaching over a large scope isn't really an option:
You can see just how convoluted this left on right action is on a barricade for fast follow ups. The moment my trigger finger releases, so does the support hand (see the hand under the scope on the barrel shroud), and the hands switch roles.

BTW Follow-thru: The trigger is a Huber 2 stage, the second has an exceptionally crisp, immediate zero take-up brake, followed by an empty take-up stroke to a hard stop. I'm releasing after the trigger has broken, the round has touched off and after the Huber continues past the brake, thru the take up to the hard stop, but not sitting there, to shorten the process.. I am not suggesting anyone do the same as I am making a compromise for speed because of the much slower reversed position.

The only good thing about shooting so damn convoluted, is you can see a round chambering when shooting lefty on a right-handed action. Hope that makes sense.

ADDED: Cattle Gate, Latter and Rolling Bar Simulator -
Made to simulate stages like the one below. (18yr old son)

View attachment 6884932
Notice you can slide in mount to best center were needed
PVC Rollers bellow, make it hard to "lock in" like the above image.. Image above is using 2 XLR barricade stops. As displayed, they can help lock into round tubes like cattle gates or barricades.
Position 3 is just like the top of a fence etc..
Using position 3 with a single barricade stop and the Bipod to help with recoil.

I’d need a flatbed to haul the 10 barricade positions with all the height options this little pile can reproduce. That said I still find every reason to do something other than practice..

All not much bigger than a few cans of “Spin Drift”

BTW:
I have been using full length ARCA Rails cobbled onto the forearms sense RRS came out with the conversions for Atlas and Harris bipods.

Not only does a device like this allow you to quickly slide the bipod to shoot off a barrel or other small foot print, it can work like an MPA front barricade stop. Maybe more on this later. But these are a game changer :)

Anyway, HRD-Gear is making a few very cool offerings. Here is one (top in the image) for a SA AX.. keymod at Mile High.
https://www.milehighshooting.com/hrd-gear-afax-09-full-length-arca-rail-for-ax-sa-forend/

The gun at the bottom shows a 6” standard ARCA rail (not RRS dovetail) on the AT chasis. It extends to the same distance the spigot mount would.This was done BEFORE a full length HRD-Gear AT option was available. If I was going to do it today, I would forgo the RRS handgaurd /dove tail and go the 11" HRD-Gear.. You will need the SLOTTED version for the AT to clear the spigot release on the bottom of the chasis.https://www.milehighshooting.com/hrd-gear-uaf-11-full-length-arca-rail-for-la-forend-11/
More information on the XLR barricaded stops can be found here:
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/new-xlr-rrs-arca-swiss-compatible-barricade-stops.6877052/

Truth be told, I do not use the barricade blocks and stops. I a bag works faster and better for me.

Last edited:

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
Nice, can you post the dimensions
I added a photo showing the dims in the original post..

I also added my main go to and original simple single 2x4.. you can get creative with that as well. Any height, laying the gun on the side, using the edge or angling the legs and head to give more angles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
No, I used RRS dovetail “compatible plates 13 bucks for a set of 2 on Amazon

Just for the record Arca is not the same as the RRS dovetail. Seems the RRS dovetail standard works in most all Arca QRs, but not the always the other way.

You only need 2 to get full functionality- but I used 3 just for ease

Last edited:

Sogan

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 11, 2013
Those tripods are THAT solid? I clearly need to upgrade

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
Thanks for sharing the dimensions! I threw a “chain” simulator in there for some extra practice. Just need some arca mounts now!
Tried similar but a chain with more droop, or arc, but figured it would scratch stuff up more than need be. But you have a good idea, maybe I'll try webbing. BTW, I needed much more slack (droop) for the scope to clear, unless thats a rubber bungie? If so, your going a entirely new level of hard :)

In your photo, the lower left: On the short side, Place as long of a plate as you can get cheaply that works with the RRS dovetail standard as far right as you can. That will take some of the extra leverage out of the system when your using the longer 2x4 as a fence post simulator. Hope that makes sense.

I also have my TA-3 setup to set up so it can lock tightly, but still move nearly freely. If you haven't already done that, you can buy taking the top plate off and tightening the center axle.

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
Thanks for sharing the dimensions! I threw a “chain” simulator in there for some extra practice. Just need some arca mounts now!
Took your idea (credited you above the images) and used some extra webbing I had.. thanks!

Natestreo

Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Took your idea (credited you above the images) and used some extra webbing I had.. thanks!

That is indeed a rubber bungie! I'm glad that helped you. I was also concerned with scratching my rifle on a chain unnecessarily.

I haven't purchased dovetail mounts yet, but I was planning on getting something 100mm or so so that there was a longer surface area to balance and mount the barricade on. Good tip!

Night Assassin

Private
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
thompson
No, I used RRS dovetail “compatible plates 13 bucks for a set of 2 on Amazon

Just for the record Arca is not the same as the RRS dovetail. Seems the RRS dovetail standard works in most all Arca QRs, but not the always the other way.

You only need 2 to get full functionality- but I used 3 just for ease

Any chance you can please post a link to the plates you purchased.

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
Sorry for the late response. I will post a link shortly and update the post. The issue is they are only 60mm so you need 2 or 3. But they are so Fng cheap not a big deal. I tried linger cheap plates but they seem to be on the Arca Swiss standard and to loose in the RRS. However, just a bit of thought tape (duck tape) and it is a none issue.

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
Sorry for the late response. I will post a link shortly and update the post.

The issue is they are only 60mm so you need 2 or 3. But they are so Fng cheap not a big deal. I tried longer cheap plates but they seem to be on the Arca Swiss standard and too loose in the RRS.

However, just a bit of thought tape (duck tape) and it is a none issue.

All that said, the right stuff is available, at a higher price.. time cost balance is your choice

Last edited:

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2005
VA
Wow that's a good idea.

I'm sure you could make a few bucks making some for those who aren't comfortable with power tools or don't have any. You could ship them unassembled with holes drilled so they could be assembled with a screwdriver. USPS has a large flat rate priority mail box called the "large game box" that has inside dimensions of 23.75"x11.5"x3". You can definitely get 3 widths of 2x4 in there and it ships for around $17 flat rate. Just a thought.

Night Assassin

Private
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
thompson

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
I had a few questions regarding the Stability.

I thought the easiest way to show it was with a quick cell phone video. this is meant to show how much the RRS tripod legs, head and barricade move.. that’s point of the focus.

I used a height that didn’t let me brace elbow to knee, or kneel. Phone is at an off and weird angle to you can see the device..

Fence post position

Swinging Rope or Chain, It can be removed to shoot off the more stable 2x4

As a side note, running the right-hand action, left-handed, where reaching over the large scope isn't really an option:
You can see just how convoluted this left on right action is on a barricade for fast follow ups. The moment my trigger finger releases, so does the support hand (see the hand under the scope on the barrel shroud), and the hands switch roles.

BTW Follow-thru: The trigger is a Huber 2 stage, the second has a very crisp, immediate zero take-up brake, followed by an empty take-up stroke to a hard stop. I'm releasing after the trigger has broken, the round has touched off and after the Huber continues past the brake, thru the take up to the hard stop, but not sitting there, to shorten the process.. I am not suggesting anyone do the same as I am making a compromise for speed because of the much slower reversed position.

The only good thing about shooting so damn convoluted, is you can see a round chambering when shooting lefty on a right-handed action. Hope that makes sense.

Added the above to the original post with the pictures etc.. will add a couple more as soon a taptalk starts working again

Last edited:

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
ADDED: Cattle Gate, Latter and Rolling Bar Simulator -

Made to simulate stages like the one below - my 18yr old son.
JT-Cattle Gate Stage - Match.jpg

[Cattle-gate-off-over-post.jpgNotice you can slide in mount to best center were needed
Cattle-gate-Possition1.jpg

PVC Rollers make it hard to "lock in" like the above image.. Image about is using 2 XLR barricade stops, as displayed they can help lock into round tubes like cattle gates or barricades.
Cattle-gate-Possition2--roller.jpg
Position 3 is just like the top of a fence etc..
Cattle-gate-as-fence-Possition3.jpg
Using position 3 with a single barricade stop and the Bipod to help with recoil.
fence-baracade-stop1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stpilot12

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
Added the Cattle Gate Simulator
Again ignor me, look at the tripod and simulator practice barricade fairly stable.. 900y.. easy to self-spot.

Again with 2 light, cheap and portable 2x4 pipe and rope.. You’ll get 7-8 simulations plus almost infinite height possibilities.

Outcome

Monica
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2017
This is awesome, been looking at building a practice barricade but this is a much better solution and without the bulk.

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
Yes, that’s the point. I’d need a flatbed to haul the 10 barricade positions with all the height options this little pile can reproduce. That said I still find every reason to do something other than practice..

49E6A79D-3709-46C1-8CBA-747F414EB791.jpeg

All not much bigger than a few cans of “Spin Drift”

GGK

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 6, 2013
Toledo, OH
This thread talked me into buying a tripod as I don't have the ability to carry around barricades regularly.

Looking to build a single side of the barricade to put on top.

stwcattle

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 22, 2017
This thread talked me into buying a tripod as I don't have the ability to carry around barricades regularly.

Looking to build a single side of the barricade to put on top.

I just got my TFCT-24L in a couple weeks ago. I have not made it to range with it due to had to head back out of town but i did get to mount a rifle and play with it in the yard. Very high quality piece of "hunting equipment" in my case. You wont be disappointed of you choose RRS.

To the OP, great idea. I'll have to get started on a tripod barricade myself.

GGK

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 6, 2013
Toledo, OH
I just got my TFCT-24L in a couple weeks ago. I have not made it to range with it due to had to head back out of town but i did get to mount a rifle and play with it in the yard. Very high quality piece of "hunting equipment" in my case. You wont be disappointed of you choose RRS.

To the OP, great idea. I'll have to get started on a tripod barricade myself.
I went leofoto for the tripod itself. Couldn't justify the cost of the RRS setup.

Colt1776

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2018
Muskogee, OK
What tripod is that? How much does it weigh and did the TA-3 just drop in?
It’s a Benro A373T it weights 5 lbs can support upto 55lbs costs $180. No the TA-3 did not fit had to cut out the half bowl and make it a little larger but compared to the cost of $1200 I couldn’t afford that and didn’t need it super light.

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
Dude....I really hate you....this whole concept justified our discussion earlier today.

Ordered everything tonight
Well there are probably a hundred guys ready to take your used stuff off your hand if you hate it. Probably for about the smallest rental free you could otherwise get.

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
Rhode Island
Well there are probably a hundred guys ready to take your used stuff off your hand if you hate it. Probably for about the smallest rental free you could otherwise get.
Can't see that happening. The barricade idea is an amazing idea. Lets me practice a variety of situations at the local range. Opens a new dimension to weekly practice. I'll use it for that purpose more than shooting the rifle from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diver160651