Ultimatum Precision's upcoming Tikka footprint action

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Exactly. Always so close yet just off the mark with their design details. It's not exactly difficult to modify, but if you change your mind, any resale value in the chassis takes a hit. The only thing making me consider it right now is the price. If it was the same as the Deadline, it'd be a definite 'miss' for me.
I think the price is going to make it compelling for a lot of folks that want to save some money.

For those that are willing to spend a bit more $ to get the quality and features that they want, they are going to overlook this option.

Reactions: Northernjets

Northernjets

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 5, 2017
Alberta
I think the price is going to make it compelling for a lot of folks that want to save some money.

For those that are willing to spend a bit more $ to get the quality and features that they want, they are going to overlook this option.
For sure. It's very much a budget friendly custom option, which is honestly awesome, especially for us Canadians. I'm sure they'll sell like hot cakes and giving the masses access to custom quality at a very reasonable price is great. I really hope more companies follow suit. Having said that, I'd still take another Nuke over this if budget wasn't a consideration. Damn those usd to cad conversion rates ha.

Reactions: kthomas

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It sure wouldve been convenient if they designed it to use Tikka shouldered prefits. The options for those are really opening up. With enough meat on the action face a customer could also use 1.2" shanked barrels for thread-to-fit solutions too but still backwards compatible to Tikka specs if desired.

flyer

Unicorn hunter
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
I've also yet to find any problems with the Tikka lug setup-- it actually has some benefits if you think about it.
I have been thinking, I don't see it. Could you help with a description?

I know a lot of people cut Tikka receivers for a Savage style recoil lug. I don't know the details of that operation but I have done similar on a Savage Axis.

This might make a really nice semi-custom rifle on a decent budget.

If it has an AW cut, a bunch of people will jump on it just for that.

I think a KRG Tikka Bravo chassis is $450 or $500, if the barrelled action is $1,000 and you add a Triggertech Diamond for $200-something, that is pretty cheap if the barrel is good.

I know I will be keeping my eye on this.

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
I have been thinking, I don't see it. Could you help with a description?

I know a lot of people cut Tikka receivers for a Savage style recoil lug. I don't know the details of that operation but I have done similar on a Savage Axis.

This might make a really nice semi-custom rifle on a decent budget.

If it has an AW cut, a bunch of people will jump on it just for that.

I think a KRG Tikka Bravo chassis is $450 or $500, if the barrelled action is $1,000 and you add a Triggertech Diamond for $200-something, that is pretty cheap if the barrel is good.

I know I will be keeping my eye on this.
well it already comes with a trigger so covered there

if they didnt have the trigger hanger and did a more normal tenon, this would be a fucking smash. but as it is...idk

lawofsavage

Deplorable
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jul 13, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I gotta be honest, I would be thrilled if someone would just drop a full on replacement bolt for Tikkas, especially given the lack of a Valkyrie bolt face in the lineup.
Yes, 100% agree. If someone that can bring reasonably priced tikka bolts to the market I think would sell pretty well for the guys that want to have tikka switch barrels but I don't know how big that number actually is.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes, 100% agree. If someone that can bring reasonably priced tikka bolts to the market I think would sell pretty well for the guys that want to have tikka switch barrels but I don't know how big that number actually is.

Same here. I'm really surprised someone like Area419 or PVA or LRI hasn't picked up this idea. Especially since they wouldn't have to machine the bolt handle. Just the bolt body.

6brshooter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2012
Illinois
I don't know why they want to go down their own path, when the road to success has ready been paved and well marked.

Like you say, follow those actions and use their recipe for success. The trend is pre-fit shouldered barrels, ease of use for the end consumer. Ultimatum doesn't have the following for companies to make and stock prefits for them, so why not capitalize on someone else's thread specs so you can use the plethora of prefits already available?

This would also require Ultimatum to hold exacting tolerances, which I'm not sure if they are capable of or not. I've never seen that specific feature of theirs advertised if it does exist.

Beyond that, they've made questionable design decisions that compromises other functions. Like the oversized bolt body, small ejection port, and (initially) super heavy duty bolt lift - I think the original was a 26# bolt lift. It's like they went into it, thinking that current action designs weren't strong and robust enough, and had to come up with a stronger, beefier action. I just don't understand the design ethos.
Idk about bolt comment, their bolt design is very close to ai and badger. Are those 2 shitty designs also?

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Idk about bolt comment, their bolt design is very close to ai and badger. Are those 2 shitty designs also?
AI has obviously got it figured out, but they build whole systems which have been designed from the factory to work together. Ultimatum makes actions that are designed to mate with other R700 parts, which pretty much all were designed to interface with an action with a 0.695-0.700" bolt diameter. This can be the cause of a lot of feeding frustrations for folk.

AI's don't have feeding issues. Lots of Ultimatums do.

Can't speak for the badger, you don't hear much about them either way. Certainly not near as many complaints about Badgers misfeeding then Ultimatums.

6brshooter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2012
Illinois
Link to misfeeding ultimatum? I have one, had an origin, both in 6.5prc. The origin had trouble feeding and ejecting. It's gone. Bolt lift on my deadline is heavier than my ae and 2013, but quite a bit lighter than my at. I do have a bix with proper sear height.

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Link to misfeeding ultimatum? I have one, had an origin, both in 6.5prc. The origin had trouble feeding and ejecting. It's gone. Bolt lift on my deadline is heavier than my ae and 2013, but quite a bit lighter than my at. I do have a bix with proper sear height.
There was a huge thread on a Canadian forum I belong to, where a guy couldn't get his Ultimatum to feed worth a shit. He ended up giving up on it and going back to Savage :ROFLMAO:

There always seems to be a few people that pop into Ultimatum threads talking about how they have issues feeding. But there's also just as many that are happy with them with no issues.

But it seems that oversized bolt can cause issues. samething with Curtis - known issues with feeding with that oversized bolt if you don't get the system set up just right. It's why Terminus turned their bolts down.

If you have a gunsmith that knows what they are doing, or everything stacks up correctly, it's not going to be a problem. But it certainly can be.

6brshooter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2012
Illinois
Huh, I should play lotto. I dropped my deadline into 3 different stocks, only one needed machinework(aics). Manners prs1 mini chassis and krgw3, all fed fine without fiddling, I did have to alter mag catch height. Pretty easy and I've had to do that with 700 clone actions in stocks with dbm that might be sunk in too deep.

Northernjets

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 5, 2017
Alberta
Huh, I should play lotto. I dropped my deadline into 3 different stocks, only one needed machinework(aics). Manners prs1 mini chassis and krgw3, all fed fine without fiddling, I did have to alter mag catch height. Pretty easy and I've had to do that with 700 clone actions in stocks with dbm that might be sunk in too deep.

Buddy of mine had issues with the ACC (reportedly since resolved by MDT for current Deadline specific inlets) and the Bravo needed material removed from the backbone in order for the safety on his TT Special to function. That's aside from the known mag latch trimming. Had some other issues too, including a complete firing pin failure, but I'll just attribute that to a 'luck of the draw, fluke failure' type thing as I haven't heard of anyone else having a failure like his.

6brshooter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2012
Illinois
Buddy of mine had issues with the ACC (reportedly since resolved by MDT for current Deadline specific inlets) and the Bravo needed material removed from the backbone in order for the safety on his TT Special to function. That's aside from the known mag latch trimming. Had some other issues too, including a complete firing pin failure, but I'll just attribute that to a 'luck of the draw, fluke failure' type thing as I haven't heard of anyone else having a failure like his.
Bravo has same backbone as w3, I had no issues in it. Of course I have a bix trigger, must not be as bulky safety.

6brshooter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2012
Illinois
The deadline does have some unique hurdles, mag height related, but trigger hanger is slightly lower profile/bulky than my impacts. Meaning if the deadline wouldn't work, neither would impact. I had to do some minor milling on an ax chassis for my impact hanger to fit, my deadline dropped in just fine.

I've got a good friend that bought a defiance barreled action, dropped it in a mcm or manners with someone's dbm already fitted. It would not feed worth a shit. He was using arc mags which were partly to blame, but the dbm was too far away from action. It took some tig welding on mag catch to build it up and filing to get mag up high enough. Does this mean mcm/manners, defiance, arc mags, or dbm is shit.....no. It was just a bad combination of parts and ill fitment that contributed to feeding. Not every part is ar Lego easy to build. There are hurdles with certain actions, stocks/chassis, and mags. My deadline will feed 6.5prc out of unmodified aw mags pretty decent, better than my tl3 aw cut would feed 6.5creed in aw mags. Does that make the tl3 garbage....no. I'm not trying to white knight for ultimatum, truth be told I like my impacts over the deadline, but its heads and shoulder better than any factory action.

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
And that's the bitch when you assemble parts from multiple manufacturers, with tolerance stacking coming into play. It doesn't always come together on its own, and a good gunsmith pays dividends for sorting out any potential problems before it reaches the end user.

It's a fact of life with custom rifles, but with better machined components with better tolerances, it's not as big of a factor as it once was. And certainly, a good gunsmith very well helps - they do all the work (as needed) to make sure there's no problems once it reaches the end user.

However, some components don't come together as nicely, and a part of that is when companies decide to take liberties with current standards of which all components are designed to work for, like say deciding to use an oversized bolt.

Doesn't mean that you will have problems, especially if you have a good gunsmith put it together, but there are certain components/products that are more prone to having issues if they are not handled correctly.

It's the gift and the curse of going custom.

flyer

Unicorn hunter
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
They showed this action in a Tikka inlet KRG Bravo chassis so I bet you would have pretty good luck with that combo.

It looks like they had to do some cutting to get the safety lever to clear. I wouldn't be surprised if KRG updated their inlet machining to fit.

There are less choices because this is a Tikka inlet but copying what the manufacturer does is a pretty good strategy.

Northernjets

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 5, 2017
Alberta
Well, as I've explained to another friend who had drop in fit issues with a long action Nuke, custom actions come with custom problems. I just can't see myself ever having a reason to get a Deadline over any other custom or even my Tikkas after fiddling with buddy's.

Reactions: kthomas