Trijicon Oasys

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
I clicked around on everything I could on that site, but don't see any pricing yet.

At SHOT we heard "2 months" for the SKEET ... and that was all. So maybe, by 1 April, we will hear more. But I wouldn't count on it. :)

Also, 4 of the six products have high power laser pointers ... the SKEET, the UTM, the UTB and the UTB LRF, so they will either have to down grade the laser pointers to low power or remove them, in order to sell them to civilians. Only the UTC (x and xii) are laser-pointer-less ... and hence can be sold as is. So we will have to see how this unravels as well.

The 1 year warranty, is better than nothing. And the ability to pay to get the units repaired even after the 1 year, is better than what BAE OASYS owners have now.
And I'm curious if one day, they will repair (for a price) existing BAE OASYS units. Hoping they will. At least the ones for people who "have papers".

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
I clicked around on everything I could on that site, but don't see any pricing yet.

At SHOT we heard "2 months" for the SKEET ... and that was all. So maybe, by 1 April, we will hear more. But I wouldn't count on it. :)

Also, 4 of the six products have high power laser pointers ... the SKEET, the UTM, the UTB and the UTB LRF, so they will either have to down grade the laser pointers to low power or remove them, in order to sell them to civilians. Only the UTC (x and xii) are laser-pointer-less ... and hence can be sold as is. So we will have to see how this unravels as well.

The 1 year warranty, is better than nothing. And the ability to pay to get the units repaired even after the 1 year, is better than what BAE OASYS owners have now.
And I'm curious if one day, they will repair (for a price) existing BAE OASYS units. Hoping they will. At least the ones for people who "have papers".
So let me get this right... if I were to purchase a UTC second hand even with release papers and it took a shit... well it would be a paper weight? I thought the release papers meant not only is it a legal unit that was sold legitamitely, but that if something broke it would be worked on...
Regards
Felipe

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
... So let me get this right... if I were to purchase a UTC second hand even with release papers and it took a shit... well it would be a paper weight? I thought the release papers meant not only is it a legal unit that was sold legitamitely, but that if something broke it would be worked on...
Well that was true 22 months ago when I bought my UTC-x ... but then 5 months later it was no longer true, when BAE "shut down the program". The people who knew how to work on them were no longer doing that. The supply chain was shut down, etc. No body home !
There are people who can do this and that ... so depending on the problem there is some help ... but as of right now, if you were to drive your spear thru one of the lenses .. you are hosed. As an example.

Reactions: Eliteuas

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Well that was true 22 months ago when I bought my UTC-x ... but then 5 months later it was no longer true, when BAE "shut down the program". The people who knew how to work on them were no longer doing that. The supply chain was shut down, etc. No body home !
There are people who can do this and that ... so depending on the problem there is some help ... but as of right now, if you were to drive your spear thru one of the lenses .. you are hosed. As an example.
Looks like I'll be waiting on a trijicon UTCX.... cause I'll be damned if I spend over 10 grand on something and cant get any support if it has a problem down the line. Now how to fund another 10-15 for the X... 10k to 25k is a big jump

wompa

Private
Belligerents
Feb 28, 2012
Going from a 9K Mk3 to a 15-20K Oasys thermal would seem to fall into the law of diminishing returns.

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
"Coming Soon" translation? Well, given the total history of such announcements in the NV/thermal space ... I'd say "You might see it one day" :D

Reactions: Frog05

Mr_Happyface

Huge Dork
Belligerents
Mar 13, 2006
I hope it'd be sooner, looks like they just stamped Trijicon on the side of BAE shit. Which is what I was hoping would happen.

Release that shit! I need a SkeetIR x!!!

Hootiewho

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
May 12, 2006
SC
So will Larue now sell the mount for the UTC that fits the UTM?

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
... So will Larue now sell the mount for the UTC that fits the UTM? ...
Do you have a pic ?

I called Larue once and asked if they could make me a higher mount for the UTC-x (the UTC-x is 1.31 center ... the rest of the NV/Thermal clipon world is 1.5) and they said "You couldn't afford it - have someone make you a shim" :D

==
But you can certainly call Larue and ask them your question !! I get them on the phone every time I try ... and get answers too !

Hootiewho

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
May 12, 2006
SC
I had asked them before if I could buy one. It is the exact same mount that they make for the UTC, and it fits the UTM. I was told no:(

The UTM works ok for a short range clip on, but as a stnd alone sight in the wilcox mount it is very lacking. Too much side to side movement to hold zero. The Larue mount solves this.

Hootiewho

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
May 12, 2006
SC
That is what I was told. I’m hoping maybe Trijicon can change that.

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
... what will the Utc sell for ? ...
If they can downgrade some of the parts ... i.e. substitute lower cost parts ... they might be able to get the price down some ... my hope is around $15k ... but until they publish the new prices, we have no idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Well "mac" made a big deal out for saying they weren't OASYS cores ... but that's because the cores got rebranded after the oasys program got shut down. Now those same cores are called "Mirco-IR" ... so a name change ... they are still made by BAE. And the "Micro-IR" cores are used in the newer Trijicons and Halos ... and Atlae ...

But yes the LWTS-LR does not have "Micro-IR" cores ... but it will get the job done ...

Last edited:

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Remember, we can't buy sh^t will full power lasers ... at least not from real dealers ... so they will have to either remove the ir-laser pointers or downgrade the power if these will be sold to regular people.

But it does say "call" ... so I wonder what we get told if we call !? :)

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Wig, not trying to derail the thread but as far as the skeetir s go would they be a good candidate for a sub 200yard clip on in front of a nxs 1-8 let’s say? Atleast where space is an issue in mounting a full sized clip on?

Here’s my train of thought... for the cost of one utcX which is essentially a dream as I have no need for the power or range ( I shoot custom airguns after all) ( hardly if ever see myself taking shots beyond 200 on an animal) I can buy a NV clip on of my choice for long range night shooting( on steel) , a thermal monocular for scanning / target ID, (l3 mtm a320) as well as a used skeet Ir or UTM for a clip on role in front of a short carbine length .457 air rifle I am building over the summer that will be shooting 265gr bullets. That puts me at 2 fully built and night time ready rifles & a dedicated monocular as well. I guess it’s all perspective. For the past couple years I’ve wanted & worked towards the best of the best. I.e. a Hensoldt for example. Not truly capitalizing on the fact that a Hensoldt only has 14mils of elevation and I need a scope with 30mils just to reach 500yards with my current setup. I believe it was with you that I had a conversation via PM’s about what these air rifles were capable of, I said I’d have no problem shooting out to 400 or so on game. Now I realize that’s not a reality, while the accuracy is there. (I have acquaintances that shoot sub 2inch groups at 400 with the same custom platform I have) it just wouldn’t be humane if for any reason shot placement was off, as the knockdown power or “shock” isn’t the same as a supersonic round. Which brings me back around to my question, within 200 yards, what will do the job and keep the rifle somewhat small / light.
Regards,
Felipe

Hootiewho

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
May 12, 2006
SC
Wig, not trying to derail the thread but as far as the skeetir s go would they be a good candidate for a sub 200yard clip on in front of a nxs 1-8 let’s say? Atleast where space is an issue in mounting a full sized clip on?

Here’s my train of thought... for the cost of one utcX which is essentially a dream as I have no need for the power or range ( I shoot custom airguns after all) ( hardly if ever see myself taking shots beyond 200 on an animal) I can buy a NV clip on of my choice for long range night shooting( on steel) , a thermal monocular for scanning / target ID, (l3 mtm a320) as well as a used skeet Ir or UTM for a clip on role in front of a short carbine length .457 air rifle I am building over the summer that will be shooting 265gr bullets. That puts me at 2 fully built and night time ready rifles & a dedicated monocular as well. I guess it’s all perspective. For the past couple years I’ve wanted & worked towards the best of the best. I.e. a Hensoldt for example. Not truly capitalizing on the fact that a Hensoldt only has 14mils of elevation and I need a scope with 30mils just to reach 500yards with my current setup. I believe it was with you that I had a conversation via PM’s about what these air rifles were capable of, I said I’d have no problem shooting out to 400 or so on game. Now I realize that’s not a reality, while the accuracy is there. (I have acquaintances that shoot sub 2inch groups at 400 with the same custom platform I have) it just wouldn’t be humane if for any reason shot placement was off, as the knockdown power or “shock” isn’t the same as a supersonic round. Which brings me back around to my question, within 200 yards, what will do the job and keep the rifle somewhat small / light.
Regards,
Felipe
My UTMx is very repeatable in a clip on role. As a stand alone it is not. Honestly IMHO anything above 6x is pushing it with that class of optics. It shines 1-4x. The laser on the optic is really a moot point because unless they release the Larue mount or something similar you will not maintain zero with the laser and wilcox mount. The laser would better serve to walk someone with NODs onto a target you spotted with the thermal.

1x CQBSS

~ 3-4x

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
btw Wig thanks for putting me in contact with Jay. He’s working on finding me a unicorn of the NV clip on world... turns out there’s a couple groups of people that do night shoots out here in PA. Should turn some heads when I show up with the air rifles haha

Reactions: 87stang

PlinkIt

GunNut Extraordinaire
Belligerents
Mar 30, 2014
Virginia / North Carolina
@Eliteuas I'm curious why the clip on thermal would not work? What type of drop are you seeing for 200 yards? I am certain a 10mil reticle will stay within the fxq50. I will say that @wigwamitus made the perfect comment about the fxq50 mount.... That scope objective mount thing is more questionable than Hilary's email practices.... I just got the dloc mount set up for the bottom of it and I "think" that will resolve the mounting issue, but it does end up with a height of like 1.78" from top of rail. So I'm waiting on some 1/4" pic risers to try some experiments with to it.

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
My comment of “dedicated thermal won’t work” wasn’t In Regards to the fxq50 advice. The pulsar may even work id Have to do the math in regards to size (length of unit) and height for cheek weld. It’ll be in front of a NX8. My current .257 drops 14mils at 200 if I remember correctly. This will be on a .457 shooting roughly the same velocity with a lot heavier of a slug.

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Yeah, you'd probably have to make changes ... might have to change the scope mount, might have to change cheek piece etc. such changes are not unusual with clipons ... the military clipon world is mostly around 1.5 center ... but there are exceptions .. and this 1.78 mount for the pulsar is definitely at risk in terms of work-ability.
I understand why you're saying dedicated won't work ... not enough reticle to hold with. But with the day scope, there should be.

The FXQ50 is a clipon, not a dedicated. But it was designed to mount to the scope. And plintit has learned that attaching to the objective is not working. The scope moves (turns) when he moves the focus ring ... and pulsar support says "working as designed" which is bovine scatology ... some folks have machined their own mounts. Plinkit has found an "off the shelf" mount and is trying that, but needing use a rail to raise up the day scope another .25 inches to get the more closely aligned.

And yes, that will throw off the cheek stock weld which will have to be separately addressed.

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Nvm it’s 9 mils just checked my ballistic calculator saved data. 14mils was when I was shooting 33gr pellets not 85gr spitzers HPBTs

PlinkIt

GunNut Extraordinaire
Belligerents
Mar 30, 2014
Dedicated thermal could still be an option...

I just started playing with the pulsar xp50 but it has three different zero profiles. Each of which consists of like 10 additional drop points. So you could just say have a 50 yard zero and nine more reference points from there out. They also have a "mildot" reticle m56fi I think it was that functions as a FFP mildot when you zoom. So you could simple have ten "zeros" at five or ten mil increments.

And yes the "tech" I spoke with at pulsar is full of bull scat about the mount being ok and it's meant to be where you can move it by hand so you can "line it up"

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
I called UNV on the "Trijicon Skeet-X" they are showing ... asked about "Restricted - call" words ...
And asked about full - power laser ...
Short answer ... they don't have answers yet ... they are still waiting on release date and full specs. I got on the call back list for when they do get the data.

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Dedicated thermal could still be an option...

I just started playing with the pulsar xp50 but it has three different zero profiles. Each of which consists of like 10 additional drop points. So you could just say have a 50 yard zero and nine more reference points from there out. They also have a "mildot" reticle m56fi I think it was that functions as a FFP mildot when you zoom. So you could simple have ten "zeros" at five or ten mil increments.

And yes the "tech" I spoke with at pulsar is full of bull scat about the mount being ok and it's meant to be where you can move it by hand so you can "line it up"
I'm not so sure. the drop is pretty intense due to the low speed of the airguns. I'll be shooting these. They just released as the newest and best flying projectiles for long range in the .45 class . The rifle will be bone stock for this season as far as power goes and I'm looking at 800 fps. I dont wanna send it to my Smith and miss half the season like last years build. Next year I should be able to push these at 950 or so... which means I'm packing quite a punch.
Regards,
Felipe7043363

PlinkIt

GunNut Extraordinaire
Belligerents
Mar 30, 2014
Well I believe you said 14mil to 200 yard...

Here is why I think something like the xp could be an option...
(Forgive crappy cell phone pics)

End of this house is roughly 20 mil tall from my position

Even with a low on screen zero I have ALOT of area left for using more zeros

I even made a second test zero down here that I can now flip back and forth between at will...

And the digital zoom follows whichever "zero / yardage" you are set to

It may not be in the same league as some of the stuff you are looking at, but with the multiple zero option like the pulsar it may give you some function with a dedicated unit

Last edited:

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Understood. The problem for my application lies in every 10 yards its another mil or so of drop, so while it might work for a few different zeros, I’d be much more comfortable with twisting the turret and making sure I’m on at any given distance. I’ve been going back and forth between a few units (nv & thermal) and researching as much as possible as I’m on vacation until May. But I’ve decided that if the snipe Ir will work like a night vision clip on for as much adjustment as I need (waiting on @Surgeon_Shooter ’s confirmation) and the M300W patrol monocular will work as my helmet mounted spotter... that puts me somewhere in the realm of 1 Oasys thermal price wise but I’m filling both roles instead of buying just one device.

If only money was an unlimited commodity right? I’m turning 25 this month & This is my biggest purchase to date other then my vehicle, so I wanna get it right.
Regards
Felipe

wigwamitus

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
... if the snipe Ir will work like a night vision clip on ...
The SNIPE will work like a thermal clipon ... it IS a thermal clipon ... you can use your day scope reticle .. BUT you will be limited to about 7x of magnification ... I ran it on 8x ... but it was getting a little fuzzy ...

SNIPE on 5.56(18) in front of burris xtr2 1.5-8x cq-mil

==
SNIPE on right, side by side with UTC-x on left ... I ran them side by side for a couple of months ... I wanted to keep both, but I could not afford it .. had to send the SNIPE back. But for under $10k list price thermal clipons, it is the only one I would get.

==
SNIPE on 5.56(18) with xtr2 1.5-8x on 8x looking at heated ipsc(2/3) at 500yds (12x24 inch steel) ... this is hand held camera pic and is much fuzzier than real image, but there was some fuzz in the real image .. however, that did not prevent hitting the target. The drop here is around 3 mils for this weapon and ammo, depending on atmospheric conditions.

==
Bottom line it is the baby brother to the UTC-x ... about half the magnification for about half the cost. But as of right now, the SNIPE is available and comes with a warranty (if you backorder a new one to maximize your warranty). And the UTC-x doesn't have those attributes.
One area the UTC-x excels in is the risley prism back end is actually collimated (see my thread on risley prisms). On the SNIPE I had, that was not the case. That means once you've bore sighted the SNIPE to your weapon, if you move it to another weapon, you will have to re-boresight it. That's not the case for the UTC-x... it is collimated so automatically bore sighted to any weapon that has day scope center heights within tolerance. But once you've bore sighted to your monster air-rifle you can take it off and put it back on and you will be fine (as long as you mark the spot it goes on to with something like a larue rail clip ... then you can remount by feel even at night).

Reactions: Hootiewho