Time lapse through the scope video? Am I imagining things

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
College Station, Tx
We've talked about how changing light, mirage, etc can affect poi. Frank has talked about dope changes at his Alaska classes on the podcast due to where the sun is in the sky.

I vaguely remember someone making a time lapse through the scope video looking at a target to illustrate how it appeared to move throughout the day but I can't find it. Anyone remember or have a link?

C.R. Adams

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2019
I would be curious to know what the rifle is resting on in that video. I would have to question if the rubber feet of a bipod or leather of a front forearm rest was exposed to different heat during the day (expanding and contracting) or the sun heated the material differently on one side or the other as the sun moved through the sky.

Reactions: fxdrider

stevenc23

Belligerents
Oct 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I would be curious to know what the rifle is resting on in that video. I would have to question if the rubber feet of a bipod or leather of a front forearm rest was exposed to different heat during the day (expanding and contracting) or the sun heated the material differently on one side or the other as the sun moved through the sky.
He explains the setup in his description on the youtube link. Basically a spotting scope clamped down and enclosed in a box.

Reactions: C.R. Adams

Alabusa

Understudy
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2018
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
Was it cloudy that day?

By the way the shadows came and went, I would guess the flashes was the sun light changes with cloud movement.

smoooth1

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Mar 4, 2017
If you play it at .25 speed (click the little cog left of YouTube in the lower right corner), it is much more interesting.