Tikka T3 Thread

DMP

Mike
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2018
Northern Utah
For all you running KRG setups what brand AICS mags are you running? Thinking of just getting some of the KRG branded mags when I grab the chassis but am curious if there are other better choices or not
I went with the KRG mag. Figured if I had a problem they would help. But no worries, the work flawlessly

littlepod

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I ran the MDT 10-rounders w/o any problems.

The KRG-Mag is just an accurate-mag, where they engraved their logo on it.

Ranger Bob

SFC, USA, Ret.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Sanger, Texas
rangermadeknives.com
I just got around to checking the group sizes from my second outing with the 24" 6.5cm CTR. I didn't think the gun liked the Hornady 147gr ELD-M as much as either the 140gr ELD-M or the 140gr BTHP. My suspicions were confirmed by measuring the groups but, it is not as bad as I thought it would be; group sizes at 100 and 200 yards are about 1/8moa larger with the 147's. Since I just added Ballistic-X to my app collection, might as well post up best 200yd group from Sunday.

Bob

Ballistic-X-Export-2019-12-11 171345.830598 by Bob, on Flickr

yeos

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2018
For all you running KRG setups what brand AICS mags are you running? Thinking of just getting some of the KRG branded mags when I grab the chassis but am curious if there are other better choices or not
I have a both in the 5 and 10 rounders. They both function well, but if I had to choose it would be MDT because their 10 rounder is shorter than the KRG/Accurate mag.

Reactions: littlepod

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 8, 2009
Southern Alabama
I run MDT mags and with the exception of one early production mag that was replaced under warranty ( thanks @MDT_OFFICIAL ! ) they have been flawless in my Tikka / Bravo combination.
I’ll be trying them out in my Tikka / MDT ACC after Christmas, but I’m pretty confident that there won’t be any issues.
Buy the “Non-Binder Plate” versions if you are hand loading to allow a longer OAL.

Dombern34

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2019
picking up a TX3 lite here in a couple of days in a trade and I wanted to explore barrel options. I didn't read all 124 pages of this thread but was curious if these guns required or didn't require any special gunsmithing. it's in .300wsm but I would like to put a heavier barrel on it and change out the stock. does anyone have a good recommendation on where to start with this? TIA.

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Kansas
MDT 12 round magazines for me, binder plate versions with Primal Rights kits for my 22BR and the non binder plate for my 6.5 Creedmoor. They are the same length as most 10 round AICS mags and I can get 13 rounds of 22BR in them.

phlegethon

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
picking up a TX3 lite here in a couple of days in a trade and I wanted to explore barrel options. I didn't read all 124 pages of this thread but was curious if these guns required or didn't require any special gunsmithing. it's in .300wsm but I would like to put a heavier barrel on it and change out the stock. does anyone have a good recommendation on where to start with this? TIA.
It has been reported as difficult or impossible to remove stock Tikka barrels. Some have reported success with soaking in Kroil for up to a week, applying heat, and either using long cheater bars or impact with hammers. Others have had to make relief cuts in the stock barrel.

You will also need someone to chamber the new barrel. Carbon Six is doing profits for Tikka and I think another outfit has a barrel nut setup for them, otherwise the gunsmith will need your action in hand for chambering.

physguy88

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
It has been reported as difficult or impossible to remove stock Tikka barrels. Some have reported success with soaking in Kroil for up to a week, applying heat, and either using long cheater bars or impact with hammers. Others have had to make relief cuts in the stock barrel.

You will also need someone to chamber the new barrel. Carbon Six is doing profits for Tikka and I think another outfit has a barrel nut setup for them, otherwise the gunsmith will need your action in hand for chambering.
Proof also does pre-fit barrels for Tikka now. You can get both steel and carbon versions from Stocky's.

MachoKing

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 26, 2017
Just ordered a 24" Proof prefit in 6.5 PRC and a Kremlin Iota stock. Counting the days till they get here!

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
If someone needs a Bravo stock, I have one that I'll be selling. I haven't put it on the PX yet but would sell it.

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
Did you get in on a MDT/MPA BF sale? :)
No, I got a good deal on McMillan 100% coupon so have a McMillan on the way. That's why I haven't put it on the PX yet as I have a few more months before that shows up. That being said, if someone wanted the Bravo, I would sell it now.

Reactions: littlepod

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
Do we have any TAC A1 love in this forum?
I like mine, so far, just heard that KRG has new competition chassis from the Whiskey:love:, though not sure is it for rem actions only.
So far this one can stay as it is, a predator hunter.
tak.jpg

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
No, I got a good deal on McMillan 100% coupon so have a McMillan on the way. That's why I haven't put it on the PX yet as I have a few more months before that shows up. That being said, if someone wanted the Bravo, I would sell it now.
Just put it on PX.

Lawnboi

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2019
WI
Just put it on PX.
Already done, waiting patiently

By the way mcmillan just delivered a tikka stock to me after 3.5 month, great Christmas gift but was expecting it to go the 6 months quoted.

Could probably pick the bravo up from you locally as well if you would be up for it, I’m down that way somewhat often.

Last edited:

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
Just put it on PX.
Already done, waiting patiently

By the way mcmillan just delivered a tikka stock to me after 3.5 month, great Christmas gift but was expecting it to go the 6 months quoted.

Could probably pick the bravo up from you locally as well if you would be up for it, I’m down that way somewhat often.
Should probably take this conversation to a PM so the rest of the guys don't get sick of looking at our business:) Sorry guys.

Reactions: Lawnboi

Ranger Bob

SFC, USA, Ret.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Sanger, Texas
rangermadeknives.com
Anyone using the Timney 2-stage trigger on their T3X? I have two outings with my CTR and 180 rounds total. The accuracy potential of this rifle is probably the best I've ever owned but, I need to tighten some things up. First outing was with the factory trigger as delivered. Second trip to the range, I had adjusted the trigger down with the stock spring to where the adjusting screw was about 1/4 turn off the trigger mounting screw head. It lightened up a lot but, I don't know if I'm going to be able to adapt to a single stage trigger; been shooting two stage for nearly 40 years. I found the Timney 2-stage trigger at Anarchy Outdoors and am thinking it might be a good solution for me. Like to hear your experiences and any other recommendations.

Bob

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
I had a KRG Mitas trigger that I thought was very nice but unlike you, I'm used to the single stage so I sold it and went back to the factory with aftermarket spring. The biggest difference in my mind between the KRG Midas and Timney is the bolt lock. Timney does not have a bolt lock, KRG does. Even though I sold the Midas, I thought it was a great 2 stage and very adjustable including length of pull which Timney also does not have.

Reactions: Ranger Bob

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
Anyone using the Timney 2-stage trigger on their T3X? I have two outings with my CTR and 180 rounds total. The accuracy potential of this rifle is probably the best I've ever owned but, I need to tighten some things up. First outing was with the factory trigger as delivered. Second trip to the range, I had adjusted the trigger down with the stock spring to where the adjusting screw was about 1/4 turn off the trigger mounting screw head. It lightened up a lot but, I don't know if I'm going to be able to adapt to a single stage trigger; been shooting two stage for nearly 40 years. I found the Timney 2-stage trigger at Anarchy Outdoors and am thinking it might be a good solution for me. Like to hear your experiences and any other recommendations.

Bob
I have in on my son 223rem.
It´s nice trigger for the money.

Also got KRG Midas, which is very nice trigger, you can also adjust trigger position, and i really like that.

Then i have also Tikka 2-stage trigger.
With yodaves sping is very light, but still wont brake off if you do not pull the trigger.
Tikka with Bravo chassis on, was a TAC A1, i sold the chassis and drop the action to the Bravo chassis.

Check out this video.

http://instagr.am/p/Bw43wP9HpNP/

Last edited:

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
I have in on my son 223rem.
It´s nice trigger for the money.

Also got KRG Midas, which is very nice trigger, you can also adjust trigger position, and i really like that.

Then i have also Tikka 2-stage trigger.
With yodaves sping is very light, but still wont brake off if you do not pull the trigger.
Tikka with Bravo chassis on, was a TAC A1, i sold the chassis and drop the action to the Bravo chassis.

Check out this video.

http://instagr.am/p/Bw43wP9HpNP/
When I had my Midas,I thought the same thing..."it just felt nice". Hard to explain but I think it was a combination of adjustable shoe positioning and the finish on the trigger shoe...smooth to the feel but not slick.

NewsShooter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 14, 2011

Buddy of mine just changed his barrel, came off easy. He's never done a barrel swap before either.

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND

I have barrel changed, Krieger SS barrel on now, gunsmith told when i asked, was it any hard to get out, hi told me that nothing more than normal bolt action.
But if you have black action and naturally black barrel that is done in the factory, and if it has been there for a long time, it might get rust on the threads, and that might be pita to take of.
Mine was also rust on the barrel threads, since snow and s..t here in Finland.
Stainless i bet is easier to get of, since it does not have that much to rust, but Tikka SS will rust if you let it wet in your gun bag, have seen those rifles too :D

Here´s my Krieger Tikka, shoots like a dream.
6.5 Creedmoor.
Gunsmith in Finland was Ensio Firearms, they do custom rifles and custom jobs too.

http://instagr.am/p/B54g0ZSJcdY/

Reactions: BLKWLFK9 and DMP

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
When I had my Midas,I thought the same thing..."it just felt nice". Hard to explain but I think it was a combination of adjustable shoe positioning and the finish on the trigger shoe...smooth to the feel but not slick.
That´s true.
KRG trigger is true precision rifle trigger, thought it can not be set as sensitive as Timney if you do PRS or long range and want super low weight trigger, if that what you want, im good with that Midas about 2lbs trigger pull.
But i have heard few sad story about Timneys, for me i have not had any issue, but it´s good to know they have a long warranty.
I should do a new short clip of the triggers, and i wish i had a trigger scale, so i could do a little compare.
KRG trigger does not move more than a 1-2mm, after it is on the breaking wall, Tikka 2-stage moves 3 time as KRG.
Timney is on my other safe, so im not gonna do the comparison now.

IDbound

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Central Kansas
I maybe should post this in the novice forum but new someone here would know. I bought a lh GRS Bifrost and have thoughts of replacing my Tac A1 stock. Attached is a picture of a “shroud lug”?? It is not the recoil lug as there is one in the Tac receiver and another in the bifrost. I am guessing the collar on the barrel must be loosened to get this”shroud thingy off? I thought these Bifrost stocks were just drop in ready?? Any other help or videos would be appreciated!!

Attachments

phlegethon

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
I maybe should post this in the novice forum but new someone here would know. I bought a lh GRS Bifrost and have thoughts of replacing my Tac A1 stock. Attached is a picture of a “shroud lug”?? It is not the recoil lug as there is one in the Tac receiver and another in the bifrost. I am guessing the collar on the barrel must be loosened to get this”shroud thingy off? I thought these Bifrost stocks were just drop in ready?? Any other help or videos would be appreciated!!
As you noticed, there is something like that that’s part of the Tac A1 chassis. If there is another collar that came with the Bifrost it must be part of the mounting system. Just take the A1 apart until you’re left with the bare barreled action and see how it fits in the bifrost.

edit: to be clear, the thing that looks like an ar15 barrel nut in the Tac A1 isn’t part of the Tikka action, it’s specific to that chassis.

IDbound

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Central Kansas
phlegethon: Based on your response, apparently the barrel collar has to be removed in order to remove the "shroud thingy". Would it be safe to say that removing the "collar"/nut, has nothing to do with holding the barrel on? Probably a dumb question but I know that Savages use a barrel nut and I just am not familar with how the Tikka barrel is attached.

phlegethon

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
phlegethon: Based on your response, apparently the barrel collar has to be removed in order to remove the "shroud thingy". Would it be safe to say that removing the "collar"/nut, has nothing to do with holding the barrel on? Probably a dumb question but I know that Savages use a barrel nut and I just am not familar with how the Tikka barrel is attached.
Yes, there’s no barrel nut in a stock Tikka. The barrel is shouldered and screwed into the receiver. You will not accidentally remove it. The thing that looks like a nut is part of the mounting system for the chassis.

Estes640

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Gainesville,FL
Anyone know what the inside diameter of the collar that slips over the barrel is? Curious as to what diameter barrel you could fit.

KitShickers

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2019
North Carolina
Hello all. New to the forum and also new to Tikka. Just ordered my first one yesterday and though Im 43, I feel like a kid at christmas. 😁
I picked up a Lite SS 6.5 CM 24" from gunsmidwest.com for $670 shipped. Don't know if I could beat that price! This rifle will pull double duty as a lightweight whitetail/hopefully elk gun as well as LR target gun. I plan to drop it into a KRG Xray soon. But I have a couple of questions hopefully some of you can answer.
Does anyone have experience with a good clamp on brake? If that is a bad idea, anyone know a good gunsmith in the Charlotte, NC area I could go to have it threaded? Also, any suggestions on brakes?
My other question is, why does everyone swap the bottom metal as soon as they get the rifle? Is there some deficiency in the factory BM I should be aware of?
Thanks!

Reactions: viking78

Ranger Bob

SFC, USA, Ret.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Sanger, Texas
rangermadeknives.com
Hello all. New to the forum and also new to Tikka. Just ordered my first one yesterday and though Im 43, I feel like a kid at christmas. 😁
I picked up a Lite SS 6.5 CM 24" from gunsmidwest.com for $670 shipped. Don't know if I could beat that price! This rifle will pull double duty as a lightweight whitetail/hopefully elk gun as well as LR target gun. I plan to drop it into a KRG Xray soon. But I have a couple of questions hopefully some of you can answer.
Does anyone have experience with a good clamp on brake? If that is a bad idea, anyone know a good gunsmith in the Charlotte, NC area I could go to have it threaded? Also, any suggestions on brakes?
My other question is, why does everyone swap the bottom metal as soon as they get the rifle? Is there some deficiency in the factory BM I should be aware of?
Thanks!
You should shoot it first before deciding that it needs a brake. I only recently picked up my first Tikka (a 24" CTR in 6.5cm) and I have no intention of putting a brake on it even though it came threaded. I would put the recoil with 147gr ELD-M about halfway between a .223 and a .308. Pretty easy shooting gun!

Bob

Krazy_jim

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Apr 9, 2014
Canada
Not much meat on the muzzle end of the lite barrels. Im looking at cutting mine back so i can get proper threads

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
Viking78. So has tikka made you their company photographer yet or what?
Fuck not, Tikka official does not even follow me on my insta 😂😂😂😂😂😂.
All those 3 Tikka rifles, i have payed them with my own money.
For sure i get them a bit cheaper, since i work in a gun store, but no freebies from Tikka to me.
Im a lonely wolf like Chuck Norris, if some one does not like my pictures and shit, dont follow, but if you do, please :)
Tikka does though reposted 2 of my pictures, but that´s lame since i got 2000 shots on my insta wall of Tikka.

Last edited:

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
I'm telling you. Tikka, KRG, and Custom Gun Coatings need to team up to make the Viking78 edition. A CTR in a W3, with "High North" camo (Summer and Winter editions of course). Especially now that there is a CTR mag version.
Im in for that, good proposal ;).
Did you hear that KRG and Tikka:p.

Last edited:

762libertarian

Private
Belligerents
Feb 24, 2012
Just installed my 22-250 varmint in the new CTR Bravo. I've been waiting for KRG to come out with this version of the Bravo and the wait was worth it.

So that's a factory .22-250 T3x Varmint, but in a CTR compatible stock? Why did you want to go with the CTR mags?

What load are you shooting in it? For what purpose? I'm sure that's a very gentle shooter with that stock and that suppressor...