Thunder Beast 556 TAKE DOWN SUPPRESSOR experience/feedback?

southerngolfer

HACHIE CHACHIE DUNKIRINI
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
SWMO
I'm a huge fan for TBAC already. own an ultra 7 and it's perfect. I'm looking at an AR pistol and wanting to run it suppressed. does anybody have any experience behind or hands on with the 556 take down? it's only $495 and if it has the legendary build behind TBAC, damn that's a hell of a deal! I've seen @TBACRAY vid on youtube but haven't heart much chatter elsewhere.

if you have any other suggestions for an 556 suppressor, please, chime in!

thank you.

jcam

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2019
I would also like to see if there is any feedback or experience from the hide members.
Already have a Ultra 7 which I absolutely love. Ultra 9 still in jail.
I'm seriously considering the 556 takedown for the MK18.

Gtscotty

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
It's just so heavy, at 27 oz it's almost 3 times the weight of the YHM Turbo K, which has been getting rave reviews.

Edit: I guess I should add that I've shot one and thought it performed well on a short barrel AR.

Last edited:

LeadZeke

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2019
The weight really kills it IMHO, not with so many other good options that weight <1/2. Otherwise the performance looks exceptional.

southerngolfer

HACHIE CHACHIE DUNKIRINI
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
SWMO
It meets the kind of weird requirements for that spec, so in that sense the quality is there, but it definitely does not follow the same design criteria as the Ultra series.
this is one of the main reasons I went with TBAC ultra on my first can. no other can manufacturer is on this forum actively giving up to date reply and info. besides the weight.......price, full auto build, and TBAC reliability /CS seems to really fit the bill.

WirgmanUSMC

LCpl
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Flat Rock, NC
I’ll get a review up here soon for it. Just picked it up from my dealer a few days ago and I’ve been out of town since and haven’t had a chance to shoot it. Really well built though and I love the design. I went with the DSU and had it pinned and welded for the one stamp (non)SBR.
6D496E68-836F-440B-BB61-D8BDA3498B26.jpeg

Reactions: FishinGuns

southerngolfer

HACHIE CHACHIE DUNKIRINI
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
SWMO
I’ll get a review up here soon for it. Just picked it up from my dealer a few days ago and I’ve been out of town since and haven’t had a chance to shoot it. Really well built though and I love the design. I went with the DSU and had it pinned and welded for the one stamp (non)SBR.
View attachment 7137198
perfect. can't wait to hear some feedback. thank you very much!

Reactions: WirgmanUSMC

Kansas_Born

Private
Belligerents
Sep 21, 2011
Avon, Indiana
I will know more next year. I did get to fondle mine while in jail and it is well built! Heavy doesn’t bother me as it’s going on an SBR and I’m not planning on hiking long distances with it. I wish my SOT had a range so that I could shoot it now. From the videos I’ve seen and the reviews I’ve read you can’t go wrong with anything TBAC.

Attachments

WirgmanUSMC

LCpl
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Flat Rock, NC
Got some range time today with my DSU. Granted it was just indoor, but I’m gonna get outside on Sunday with it too. The whole DSU system is fantastic. It’s super low in the gas department for a 10.3” barrel. Even though the can is heavy, it is balanced really well on a short barreled system. Seems pretty quiet indoors, I am looking forward to shooting it outside, I’ll take some comparison videos with my other 10.5” SBR set up.
I enjoy the construction of the can, everything is heavy duty. The front end service is cool.
I really only have one complaint, and that’s the inability to maintain alignment with the baffles during reconstruction. Carbon buildup will be different along the stack, and the change in friction causes them to rotate as you’re locking down the end cap.
I have a .45 can from Freedom Armory and during testing they got different decibel ratings and back pressure results when the notches weren’t lined up, so I wonder how much different this effect will be in a high pressure can.
Some sort of groove system similar to what they use would be cool to keep everything in line. B6E89E32-801E-48CA-8457-2776918695D4.jpeg
Aside from that, I have no complaints and I’m looking forward to hammering on this thing this weekend.
I know TBAC recommends a H4 buffer, which I don’t currently have, so I used it with my JP Silent Capture heavy setup today, and I’ll also try a Spikes T2 buffer this weekend.

6D41BDA8-951E-4E26-8181-18057F955578.jpegCB4560C3-824B-4C35-87AC-54E6B87C64B4.jpeg2D21F6E1-12AA-4F45-888E-03C655E8B628.jpegA4CA0173-63C2-4896-8D99-E4FF82A55FB1.jpeg909BDD35-6867-4EC0-A7DD-69E18BD4244B.jpeg

WirgmanUSMC

LCpl
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Flat Rock, NC
I have been planning on the TBAC for my 10.5" like others have said the balance is nice I'm going to pin and weld mine so I don't have to have an SBR also.
Before you pin and weld, make sure you’ve attached a well built adjustable gasblock. Sure would suck to realize you’re overgassed after the fact.
Or just snag the DSU system, the gas system is specially built for the can and the whole unit runs great.

Reactions: LeadZeke

308Gunner

Full Bird Private
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2013
W TEXAS
I have had a DSU for around 4 months and with the Hornady 5.56 sbr it is really quiet me and a couple of friends have shot it out to 400 with bits on steel. I am not saying it is a 400 yard gun but it can be done, it is nice to be able to clean the baffles and it is real easy. I bought an H4 buffet and when mine was new it would not cycle with it I have around 1500 rounds on it so I am going to put it back in and see how it goes. I will say that TBAC is great to deal with and having them on the forum and able to answer your questions is worth it.

kurtispalu

TBAC Nerd
Belligerents
Jan 29, 2014
Wellington, CO
I have had a DSU for around 4 months and with the Hornady 5.56 sbr it is really quiet me and a couple of friends have shot it out to 400 with bits on steel. I am not saying it is a 400 yard gun but it can be done, it is nice to be able to clean the baffles and it is real easy. I bought an H4 buffet and when mine was new it would not cycle with it I have around 1500 rounds on it so I am going to put it back in and see how it goes. I will say that TBAC is great to deal with and having them on the forum and able to answer your questions is worth it.
If yours is running well with something other than an H4, run it. We suggest an H4 on the website because it has consistently worked for us. Each lower is going to vary.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers

missed

nothing
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2013
TEXAS
Before you pin and weld, make sure you’ve attached a well built adjustable gasblock. Sure would suck to realize you’re overgassed after the fact.
Or just snag the DSU system, the gas system is specially built for the can and the whole unit runs great.
Thanks, I haven't gotten that far into the planning on it. It's a MCX there is a somewhat adjustable block on it now. Thanks to the good ole ATF I have plenty of time to think about it and plan for it.

Jefe's Dope

Duke Caboom
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2017
Got some range time today with my DSU. Granted it was just indoor, but I’m gonna get outside on Sunday with it too. The whole DSU system is fantastic. It’s super low in the gas department for a 10.3” barrel. Even though the can is heavy, it is balanced really well on a short barreled system. Seems pretty quiet indoors, I am looking forward to shooting it outside, I’ll take some comparison videos with my other 10.5” SBR set up.
I enjoy the construction of the can, everything is heavy duty. The front end service is cool.
I really only have one complaint, and that’s the inability to maintain alignment with the baffles during reconstruction. Carbon buildup will be different along the stack, and the change in friction causes them to rotate as you’re locking down the end cap.
I have a .45 can from Freedom Armory and during testing they got different decibel ratings and back pressure results when the notches weren’t lined up, so I wonder how much different this effect will be in a high pressure can.
Some sort of groove system similar to what they use would be cool to keep everything in line. View attachment 7138413
Aside from that, I have no complaints and I’m looking forward to hammering on this thing this weekend.
I know TBAC recommends a H4 buffer, which I don’t currently have, so I used it with my JP Silent Capture heavy setup today, and I’ll also try a Spikes T2 buffer this weekend.

View attachment 7138416View attachment 7138417View attachment 7138418View attachment 7138419View attachment 7138420
I just ASSumed that it would have similar alignment system to the TakeDown 22 w/ a numbering and a line. They also seem to have a detent of sorts as they kinda 'click' in place when lining them up. Have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed.

Reactions: msstate56

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Nov 7, 2003
Fort Collins, CO, USA
thunderbeastarms.com
Hello, to keep the price point some features had to be omitted. Here are the engineering notes which might be helpful
>>>
The rifles zero shifted less than 0.5 moa after disassembly, cleaning and reassembly, regardless of baffle orientation. This included jumping a fresh
baffle to the front. Zero shift was less than 1 moa after having the stack completely replaced. Solicitation meter requirements were also met regardless of baffle orientation.

WirgmanUSMC

LCpl
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Flat Rock, NC
Hello, to keep the price point some features had to be omitted. Here are the engineering notes which might be helpful
>>>
The rifles zero shifted less than 0.5 moa after disassembly, cleaning and reassembly, regardless of baffle orientation. This included jumping a fresh
baffle to the front. Zero shift was less than 1 moa after having the stack completely replaced. Solicitation meter requirements were also met regardless of baffle orientation.
Awesome, thanks for the information!

ZY100

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 13, 2007
VA
Ha...military proof--" The rifles zero shifted less than 0.5 moa after disassembly, cleaning and reassembly, regardless of baffle orientation".

I have one on an 11.5 SBR and agree the weight is not an issue...and love I don't have to give "any" consideration to temp/abuse. If I had to have a multi-use can and swap this around a lot, probably not my first choice. But for an SBR and higher volumes of fire, perfect. That 11.5 with blaster ammo, WC844 (bulk, surplus mil powder) and just a flash supressor shakes my teeth....

Great product, great price point.

ZY

308Gunner

Full Bird Private
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2013
W TEXAS
Well after 300 rounds of everything from Wolf to Hornady the H4 is back in the gun with zero problems

WirgmanUSMC

LCpl
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Flat Rock, NC
Went out today and dumped a couple hundred rounds through mine. Functioned flawlessly. Sounds really nice too. I brought my other 10.5” 556 SBR to compare them. It has a YHM TI Phantom, JP adjustable gas block and JP silent capture system. The gas system is tuned and it’s super smooth shooting. Has a distinctly different tone than the DSU. On video and standing behind my brothers shooting them side by side I thought the DSU had a lower frequency tone to it. Firing the two, my YHM has always rang my ears just a smidge on my 10.5 556, but the DSU didn’t at all.
Tried putting the video in here but it wouldn’t let me.
I’m super happy with this can, and would still be even if TBAC wasn’t who they are. The fact that they support this sport so much, and are so active in the community is just icing on the cake.
4B2B84B9-9749-423A-BC7F-263C9E3BD7C6.jpeg

Reactions: TBACRAY