The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

I am woefully short of firewood big enough to feed the new saw, but found a 24" long crotch of oak to noodle, just to see how she eats. I also did some cross cuts on what rounds I could find, and let me say that this mamajamma will EAT! I was grinning like a jackass eating briars running this bitch.

YouTube didn't want to give me a link in the format that Veer explained for posting a thumbnail video, but I'll post up a short one just so tnichols gets to see a couple of chips fly out of 'er :

https://youtu.be/ibFPCg57wuI
I like it. The big saws sound nice as the “attempt” to idle. Love that broken staccato exhaust note. I always start the saw and set it down to allow it to warm up while I gear up. I’ll turn around and my 441 will have “walked” 10-15 feet away on frozen ground :).

Thanks for posting the video.

I like it. The big saws sound nice as the “attempt” to idle. Love that broken staccato exhaust note. I always start the saw and set it down to allow it to warm up while I gear up. I’ll turn around and my 441 will have “walked” 10-15 feet away on frozen ground :).

Thanks for posting the video.
That's my routine as well, and learned my lesson on the walking. Now I find a nice pile of sawdust to set them in to keep them in place. This one even has a "kickstand" at the bottom of the spikes to keep the bar raised off the ground when it's set down. I'd never seen that before, or if I have I don't remember it.

I mentally wrestled for quite a while about trading the 465 and coming out of pocket a decent chunk of extra money to upgrade. Those couple of cuts yesterday made me glad I did it, and the missus (who'd given me the 465) was in absolute awe of how powerful the 365 was in comparison to anything else she'd seen run. She gave me a huge thumbs up for trading in her present, which was a big load off of my conscience.

I hope your 365 does you well. Are you going to put a smaller bar on it for cutting smaller stuff or just use it for larger wood? Just the difference between 20" and 24" is noticeable on mine.

I hope your 365 does you well. Are you going to put a smaller bar on it for cutting smaller stuff or just use it for larger wood? Just the difference between 20" and 24" is noticeable on mine.
If the 455 survives its visit at the shop it'll continue to wear a 20" full time. I've got a 435 and a couple of 145's for small stuff. In buying the 365 it was only $20 more to get the 28" bar and the chain of my choosing, so I got it that way with a plan of grabbing a 24" for it in the near future. The last saw I really want and have a need for is a top handle. If I can find one used at a solid price I'll be all set until I lose my mind and buy something else for no reason whatsoever, just like guns.

I'm glad to find this thread, as I thought it was just me. My bride thinks I'm crazy with my chain saw wants. We have an outdoor wood stove as well as a wood stove in the living room (a free standing fireplace to the insurance company).
I currently am using Dolmar saws. I do real estate appraising and the Dolmar dealer was building a new house, so when visiting with him he convinced me they were good saws and I bought one. I now have the 7910, the 7310, the 6421 and my wife has a 410. I still have a Stihl 260 pro, but it has seen little use after the Dolmars came into the picture.
The 7310 was the first saw that I had bought new for a long time and for some reason I have kept track of the gas I run through it. Today I filled it up for the 69th time. About 90% of those fills were after it had run dry.
I had some logging done last year and have been trying to get that cleaned up. The place needed the logging, but they left it looking like a bomb went off there.

Buy the chain by the spool and save a bunch of bucks.
I've heard that. I'm not sure I'm quite at that stage yet, but now that I've got the 28" I'm much closer. I guess I'd have to commit to chisel or semi-chisel and just run it on all of them all of the time.

missed , I've bounced around treestuff but haven't checked all of their categories. I usually end up at Baileys simply because they tend to have damn near everything and their selector tool for bars and chains is super handy. I'll take another look at treestuff.

Yeah Bailey's is gtg also. I signed up with treestuff mailing list they send a coupon out periodically, with the coupons they have done pretty good on pricing, and fast cheap shipping. I do need to order a bar and some chain for my 346, I just buy chain loops as the price over a roll is minimal, and convenance not to have to jack with making loops.

We are looking at the Quadrafire Voyager Grand with the cast iron surround for the new house. We have a Quadrafire i3100 step top stove in the current house. It's great, lots of heat, clean burning, no catalytic converter, but still low emissions.

Thanks to all about the fuel choice. I’m gonna give the Husky mix a go, and then try to source the other mix that was previously mentioned.

Ill throw in another mention for Bailey’s to get bars/chains/whatever else you may need. I just called them yesterday about a new bar and chains for my incoming Kusky and they were top notch. Got a 16 inch Oregon replaceable sprocket nose and pair of Woodland Pro chains for the 350 inbound

Any opinions on the Cannon brand of bars?
Glad you found the thread as well. I still run all stock bars on my Stihls. Have not heard of Cannon. I see a far amount of Oregon bars around. I lust for a Sugihara but really don’t have a need. Maybe someday on the 441 to save a bit of weight.

I buy a lot of stuff online, but still buy saw stuff from local dealers. I want them to stay in business so I can pick up things without waiting a few days on shipping.

I buy a lot of stuff online, but still buy saw stuff from local dealers. I want them to stay in business so I can pick up things without waiting a few days on shipping.
That's an excellent point. My local shop is great and the people are top notch. Unlike a lot of horror stories I hear about the folks at dealerships, mine are incredibly friendly, remember me when I come in, custom order shit I've found online, and give me a price break where they can. If I can buy something from them I do. If I have a question or problem I can ask the folks up front or even go out back to the shop and talk to their mechanic.

I like the online sites for being able to do price and spec comparisons, find new items that aren't going to be on the shelf in a store, and that sort of thing. There's been a few things I found during online shopping that I've shown my local shop and asked to be ordered in and they were close enough on price that it was worth keeping my business local.

Sadly, a lot of places don't have good dealer support. There's also just some 3rd party gizmos that a factory dealer can't get ahold of because of licensing agreements or whatever. tnichols mentioned Sugihara bars as a good example. I'm currently looking for a combination peavey or cant hook / log jack and finding one I want at a dealer is about impossible. I'm about to make a materials list and see what a shop would charge me to make one, or let me make it myself with their equipment. I'm thinking I could put one together for less than the standard $100+ price tag I see on most.

Talk to me about protective pants/chaps. What type do you use, number of protective layers etc. My new saw kind of gives me the willies and I want to make sure I keep my legs intact.

I use these. The strap design is a little different, as it appears Husky changed the design without updating photos, and mine are grey vs orange. You can probably see them in the video I posted recently of the new 365. They can be had for a good bit less than the MSRP on Husky's website.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/accesso...aps/587160704/

Chaps are hot, period. Down where I am it really becomes an issue in the summer, but it still beats a potentially fatal injury. I opted for the size a bit longer because they come down over the laces of my steel-toe boots, adding a little extra protection.

The Labonvilles that missed posted are highly regarded on the tree forums.

Beware of the super cheap Chinese models on Amazon. There's some YouTube videos of a guy testing them, and although they do work better than nothing they still allow complete penetration of the material.