The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Just got back from the shop, and they'd brought in a 365 spec'd just for me: 28" bar with non-ANSI semi-chisel chain. They did me right swapping my 465 for the 365 and gave me the 4yr warranty for buying the gallon of Husky gas (which my guy gave me at about half price).

IMG_2158.JPG

It's already drawn first blood, slicing the piss out of my thumb on that wickedly sharp chain. Now I need to find some big ole trees to get it run in. Chainsaw addiction is an absolute bitch.

Just got back from the shop, and they'd brought in a 365 spec'd just for me: 28" bar with non-ANSI semi-chisel chain. They did me right swapping my 465 for the 365 and gave me the 4yr warranty for buying the gallon of Husky gas (which my guy gave me at about half price).

It's already drawn first blood, slicing the piss out of my thumb on that wickedly sharp chain. Now I need to find some big ole trees to get it run in. Chainsaw addiction is an absolute bitch.
Thats Awesome Bogey! That will be a good saw for you. Don’t hesitate to post pictures of chips flying with that bad boy.

Bogey just mentioned above about proper saw fuel. It’s my belief that poor fuel quality leads to all sorts of carb and engine problems. Poor performance, hard starting, won’t start, won’t stay running, etc... It’s my understanding that newer carb components will tolerate ethanol blended fuels, I don’t doubt that. But, most ethanol blended fuels have a very poor shelf life. Most of us probably don’t run our saws daily. I believe that most of the good saw premix oils contain a stabilizer of some sort which helps. Short version is, I’ve run the following blend for years with ZERO problems. Saws start easy even after a month or so of sitting, performance is strong, and NO carb problems.

My blend is 3 quarts of 91 octane (no ethanol) with 1 quart of 100LL aviation gas and Stihl (or whatever brand you run) premix. Takes a little more fussing around to mix, but in my experience, it’s worth it. Think of it as poor mans MotoMix.

69D05ED5-D2D9-4835-96C1-56C54555AD9B.jpeg

I run only 100LL in my saws, no ethanol fuel is very hard to find here now. The airport is 10 min away from me, great shelf life, no water absorption issues

I run only 100LL in my saws, no ethanol fuel is very hard to find here now. The airport is 10 min away from me, great shelf life, no water absorption issues
I worked at a motorcycle shop in the mid 80’s, about the time that ethanol blended fuels were being introduced. The service side of the dealership made a fortune cleaning carb banks that had gummed up.

Shelf life on AvGas is measured in years. Ethanol blended fuels, sometimes weeks. We did tests on it to show the customers. Put each respective fuel in a clear glass container and let it sit undisturbed for a period of time. Doesn’t take long and you will clearly see separation on the ethanol junk. For small engines it’s no bueno.

Anyone tried running the Tru-Fuel stuff in the aluminum cans in their saws? They have it in both 40:1 and 50:1 and was looking at it vs having to mix gas

Anyone tried running the Tru-Fuel stuff in the aluminum cans in their saws? They have it in both 40:1 and 50:1 and was looking at it vs having to mix gas
I can't see paying that much, I remember seeing it at the local saw shop. It was like $8 a quart. $32 a gallon for gas. I'll keep running the $4.50/gal 100LL

I've used husqvarna premix, but wouldn't use the trufuel brand because I don't know the quality of their oil. The oil is the most important part. I typically only use stihl or husqvarna oil in saws, but have used redmax a few times because I had some that I bought when buying trimmers / blowers.

Edit: Find a station that sells real gas and keep a lot of it put up. Rotate it out using it for mowing or filling atv's. A good stock of gas may come in handy one day!

I ran one gallon of it through my saws while transitioning from pump gas to Husky premix. In the back of my mind it is the only "unknown" as the mechanic is working on my 455 trying to find an explanation for a scored piston in a 5 month old saw. I know for sure that my own mix was right, and used Husky oil, and they did a fuel test on the saw when I brought it in which came out fine (Husky premix). The only fuel that went through that saw that could've been jacked up was the TruFuel.

Im in no way saying that the TruFuel was to blame, as we haven't found the cause of the damage yet. He'll be doing pressure and vac testing this week with the hopes of finding a definitive cause to report back to Husqvarna for the warranty repair. If, however, he can't find a factory defect, all I'm left with as a possible culprit is the TruFuel.

Thanks to the "Pure Gas" website that MtnCreek posted up, I think I've found a station near me selling 91 octane real gas. Before that all I could find was 87, so I've been running Husky Fuel (95 octane), which I get at about $20 gallon (nice discount from full retail). I like the recipe that tnichols posted up, and may see what the airport down the road would charge me for a gallon of 100LL to try out that mixture in the future.

I'll say that once the damage was discovered to that new saw, it was a huge peace of mind to know that it was factory fuel mix in the tank. The mechanic also made it a point of documenting that the saw was well maintained with a clean filter, proper tune within factory limits, and no signs at all of abuse or misuse. Now I just need him to find that damn leak :mad:

Fuel story from last summer. I keep a dedicated fuel can just for 100LL. It is clearly marked. It had about 4 gallons in it the last time I had blended fuel. Out of the blue one day, Miss Lori asked me, "What is one zero zero L L ?" I replied that its $8 per gallon Av Gas and not to be used. I exaggerated the price to keep her mitts off it. Couple weeks later, I go to blend some fuel, and my 100LL can was full of wreaking car gas. I suspect she had dumped 100LL in her JD X320 mower and then after asking me tried covering her tracks by filling my can and hoping I wouldn't notice. I grew up around 80/87, 110/130, and 100LL. Can't fool me. I never said anything about, just put bigger warnings on my 100LL can for the future. Would have been a good day running her mower though, getting a whiff of that aromatic exhaust smell.

Fuel story from last summer. I keep a dedicated fuel can just for 100LL. It is clearly marked. It had about 4 gallons in it the last time I had blended fuel. Out of the blue one day, Miss Lori asked me, "What is one zero zero L L ?" I replied that its $8 per gallon Av Gas and not to be used. I exaggerated the price to keep her mitts off it. Couple weeks later, I go to blend some fuel, and my 100LL can was full of wreaking car gas. I suspect she had dumped 100LL in her JD X320 mower and then after asking me tried covering her tracks by filling my can and hoping I wouldn't notice. I grew up around 80/87, 110/130, and 100LL. Can't fool me. I never said anything about, just put bigger warnings on my 100LL can for the future. Would have been a good day running her mower though, getting a whiff of that aromatic exhaust smell.
That's funny man, I'll bet that mower was humming along. I had some asshat steal 3 five gallon fuel cans out of the bed of my truck in NOLA many years ago. I laughed all day at the thought of them pouring diesel into their car. I was tempted to put some more "bait" in the back of the truck after that.

Bogey, one thing some of the "mechanics" don't check is ignition system. That will burn a two stroke down just as surely as a lean a/f ratio. The snowmobile dealer installed about a case of pistons, several jugs, and assorted paraphernalia in a Yamahaha triple of mine only to discover the ignition system was possessed.
In this day and age all our small engines, especially two strokes burn C10 or C12 gas and get Royal Purple 2 cycle mix at 60:1
The reason I do not run 100LL, it is formulated to burn fairly slowly as most piston driven aircraft engines turn less than 2800 rpm and cruise a lot lower than that. Ye olde Husky seems to prefer a bit faster pace. YMMV

Bogey, one thing some of the "mechanics" don't check is ignition system. That will burn a two stroke down just as surely as a lean a/f ratio. The snowmobile dealer installed about a case of pistons, several jugs, and assorted paraphernalia in a Yamahaha triple of mine only to discover the ignition system was possessed.
In this day and age all our small engines, especially two strokes burn C10 or C12 gas and get Royal Purple 2 cycle mix at 60:1
The reason I do not run 100LL, it is formulated to burn fairly slowly as most piston driven aircraft engines turn less than 2800 rpm and cruise a lot lower than that. Ye olde Husky seems to prefer a bit faster pace. YMMV
Thanks man, that definitely helps if the search for a culprit doesn't turn up anything. Anything specific in the ignition system you found to be the big offender?

I don't remember exactly. Those were a cdi IIRC, but I think boxes, stator and all were replaced. He may have paid for an exorcism and not told me. By that time he had pulled out most of his hair, contemplated having to pay for a lifetime supply of blood pressure meds for us both he bought me out of the sled and fixed it in the off season. This man is way above most 2 stroke parts changers and that ignition deal really had him puzzled as well as some of the folks at Yama.

My Husky has never seen anything but 100LL and Husqvarna 2 stroke oil. It still makes power like new after 18 years.
We put up 4-5 cords mixed oak and hickory annually, plus whatever else needs done on 23 acres of woods, and helping the in-laws
on the farm.

I am woefully short of firewood big enough to feed the new saw, but found a 24" long crotch of oak to noodle, just to see how she cuts. I also did some cross cuts on what rounds I could find, and let me say that this mamajamma will EAT! I was grinning like a jackass eating briars running this bitch.

YouTube didn't want to give me a link in the format that Veer explained for posting a thumbnail video, but I'll post up a short one just so tnichols gets to see a couple of chips fly out of 'er :

https://youtu.be/ibFPCg57wuI

Last edited: