The OFFICIAL Sniper's Hide black powder / single action revolver thread.

Blue Sky Country

Urban Cowboy
Belligerents
Minuteman

The OFFICIAL Sniper's Hide Black Powder / Single Action Revolver Thread.

We at the Hide already cover a huge variety of firearms and shooting styles. This particular category hasn't gotten much attention so I decided to start a discussion section for our black powder shooters and hunters.

From flintlock Kentucky long rifles and Jaegers of the Revolutionary War period to modern in-line and 209-ignition magnum hunting rifles. From the first successful Colt revolving pistol built in 1836 to the tested, timeless, and ageless symbol of rugged dependability: the Model 1873 Single Action Army, and everything in between, this is the thread to talk about them and post photos and videos, as well as tell stories of Old West lore, the Civil War and the Indian Wars. Major world conflicts fought with these weapons are also discussed here.

Discuss your favorite hunting and target loads, powders, primers, projectiles, long range accuracy tests, ballistic performance, favorite cleaning methods, and gunsmithing issues.

HUNTERS: There are PLENTY of us who have harvested game and continues to harvest game with black powder revolvers and rifles. Share stories and pictures here.

In this thread, COLT'S and REMINGTON'S rule. ( And of course, every other type of handgun which had played an instrumental role in the taming of the western frontier and paved the way for all of the modern firearms technology that we have today. )

I MYSELF own and sometimes carry a Remington Model 1858, in both percussion and cartridge conversion mode. And like one of the most famous Remington revolver shooters in history: William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody, mine has never failed me either.

Remington Model 1858 with .45 Long Colt KIRST conversion cylinder installed:

Last edited:

Flyboy_451

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2018
Think this might be my first post... I do a lot of lurking. Lol

This is easily my most prized pistol. A 500 Linebaugh built by Dustin Linebaugh. Base gun is a Ruger Vaquero. 4 3/4" octagon barrel, Bisley grip frame with perfectly fit French Walnut panels. Looks and shoots fantastic!

Justin IMG_1918.jpgIMG_1886.JPG

footsteps

Private Greene
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Catskill Mountains NY

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Colts......rule... and something else I think he said... not quite sure about the apostrophes though.. (insert thoughtful emoji...) Before and after. Rig made by Indian Creek Leather and Grips engraved by Sylvan Studio. No connection with either other than a paying customer who spends his money in his backyard with people who actually take time to talk to the customer. Some great looking classics so far! Great picture of the .500! Scientists now know how the universe started! Big Bang....get it..? (insert thoughtful emoji)

IMG_2081.jpgIMG_2082.JPGIMG_2428.JPGIMG_2429.JPG

Reactions: Blue Sky Country

Flyboy_451

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2018
here is one I built as a birthday present for my brother last year. Started with a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Built a new cylinder chambered in 45 Colt, fit a Bisley grip frame and custom panels, made an octagon barrel and hexagon ejector rod housing and fit to frame.

Attachments

myronman3

deez nutz
Belligerents
Mar 24, 2017
Ft. Benning School for Wayward Boys
D36DC7FD-EDAD-4547-9EC7-8F855B0A2C15.jpeg

ruger flat top 44 special. Ebony grips (that are a little off). i have a set of stag grips enroute that should fit perfectly. An ivory bead front sight. I am especially proud of that, as i cut the dovetail by hand with a file. I was nervous before i started, but went with the mindset that “God hates a coward” and everything turned out great. It shoots like a dream.

bourbonbent

Redhead tamer
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
Ozarks
View attachment 7078495

ruger flat top 44 special. Ebony grips (that are a little off). i have a set of stag grips enroute that should fit perfectly. An ivory bead front sight. I am especially proud of that, as i cut the dovetail by hand with a file. I was nervous before i started, but went with the mindset that “God hates a coward” and everything turned out great. It shoots like a dream.
It’s shocking what you can do with that attitude. When you never hear what you can’t do, all sorts of things become possible.

How about a close up of the work you did? That sort of thing is up my alley.

Stag grips are awesome. I can’t decide if I want to make some stag or sheep grips for my Vaquero.

Reactions: myronman3

myronman3

deez nutz
Belligerents
Mar 24, 2017
I practiced once on a piece of scrap steel i had. I figured a bit of practice first would be a great idea. Also it is important to use the right tool...in this case it was a one sided triangle file i got from brownells. The file was like 30 bucks..but worth every penny of it.

I was poking around online, and found a guy within an hour of me that makes the grips. He guarantees the fit to frame, so i sent him a check. In the next week or two i expect them to arrive, will post pictures then. I do really like the ebony grips but the fit i am unhappy with. http://www.sackpeterson.com/

i have a freedom arms 44 special as well, and i cant tell you which one i like more. the FA is definately built tighter...but i have a lot of pride in the ruger.

bourbonbent

Redhead tamer
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
Ozarks
I practiced once on a piece of scrap steel i had. I figured a bit of practice first would be a great idea. Also it is important to use the right tool...in this case it was a one sided triangle file i got from brownells. The file was like 30 bucks..but worth every penny of it.

I was poking around online, and found a guy within an hour of me that makes the grips. He guarantees the fit to frame, so i sent him a check. In the next week or two i expect them to arrive, will post pictures then. I do really like the ebony grips but the fit i am unhappy with. http://www.sackpeterson.com/

i have a freedom arms 44 special as well, and i cant tell you which one i like more. the FA is definately built tighter...but i have a lot of pride in the ruger.
I’m a knifemaker among other things, so I do that sort of stuff pretty regularly. Mainly on the bigger and fancier stuff. I do a lot of handle and grip work, and have piles of material downstairs in storage from the exotic to the ordinary, I just enjoy seeing other people doing cool stuff with their hands, these days it doesn’t seem to be the norm.

The best way to get a perfect fit is to fit the slabs to the individual grip frame and then do any other work you plan on doing, cleaning up lines, breaking corners, etc, then refinishing the entire gun. It doesn’t take much to sand to a clean 800 grit finish on steel as soft as a revolver is and then buff it. This allows you to really clean it up without mental hangups about scratching the finish. That’s one of the reasons that I won’t build a 1911 unless I’m building the entire thing, or stripping it all down to frame and slide and going from there. Short of that route, having an accurate tracing of your grip frame will help your guy get the best fit.

I will say the FA revolvers are built like a bank vault, but I don’t know that I’d take that price jump over the Vaquero. I’ve had that gun all over hell and back and down some mountainsides as an unwilling participant, and it’s as reliable as I’ve ever seen a gun. Don’t know if I’d trade that for anything at this point. I do plan on doing some work on it, but it’s not at the top of the list right now.

myronman3

deez nutz
Belligerents
Mar 24, 2017
freedom arms guns are tight...but that comes at a cost. your cast bullet is .001 over .429? wont fit.

they are gorgeous....but the raw truth is, they dont have the personality. i suppose they could; if a person wanted to do it. but the price those things are, i aint got the balls. working on a 625 dollar gun is a whole lot different than a $2400 gun.

the truth is, they are so well thought out, there really isnt anything i’d change on them.maybe open the cylinder throats up just a smidge. and taper the front sight so it isnt a square-holster-grabbing monster.....like the original bead sight i put on the ruger. this second sight is much more to my liking.

Mike Casselton

Trunk Monkey
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2007
Lithia, FL
Since the Ruger Bisley seems to have a following here, I'll post up one for you guys.

This Ruger came to me as a father's day present from my then 10yr old stepson. He paid for it himself and mom picked it up.

It wasn't pretty, but it was the correct caliber.

This is what it looked like the day I got it.

20170212_161851.jpg

After having it for over a year, I decided to do that present some justice.

I converted it to a Bisley configuration and sent it to Gary Reeder for some cleanup, rebluing, action job and new grips.

Here's what I got back.

20180307_134941.jpg20180307_134747.jpg

I love the way it turned out.

Last edited:

myronman3

deez nutz
Belligerents
Mar 24, 2017
Since the Ruger Bisley seems to have a following here, I'll post up one for you guys.

This Ruger came to me as a father's day present from my then 10yr old stepson. He paid for it himself and mom picked it up.

View attachment 7080494

After having it for over a year, I decided to do that since present some justice.

I converted it to a Bisley configuration and sent it to Gary Reeder for some cleanup, rebluing, rebuking, and job and new grips.

Here's what I got back.

View attachment 7080497View attachment 7080498

What caliber?
Reeder does some nice work...man, that bluing!

Mike Casselton

Trunk Monkey
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2007
Lithia, FL
What caliber?
Reeder does some nice work...man, that bluing!
Looks like I forgot that. It's a 41 Magnum.

The gun was nice and tight, but it lived its life in a leather holster here in Florida. I guess people just don't realize what all those chemicals will do to steel.

Gary's bluing is top notch.

Fixed the auto-incorrect spelling errors also.

myronman3

deez nutz
Belligerents
Mar 24, 2017
I guessed it was a 41. I had a 41 6 1/2 new model blackhawk, was a bit too long for my taste. I have been prowling for a 41 old model or a freedom arms for the right price. I love that caliber. Everything you need, and nothing you dont. It can be a pussycat or a friggen lion. The right size bullet, and the right weight.
Frankly, i am shocked it isnt#1 in revolver pistol calibers. It’d be like the 6.5 creedmoor being ignored and passed over for the 308.

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ

View attachment 7080494

After having it for over a year, I decided to do that present some justice.

I converted it to a Bisley configuration and sent it to Gary Reeder for some cleanup, rebluing, action job and new grips.

Here's what I got back.

View attachment 7080497View attachment 7080498

Years ago Reeder ruined my unfinished custom 1911 that I spent $1500 to get to that point. It was a heartbreaking experience.

The front strap hand checkering was polished down so it wasn't sharp and was uneven.

The acid etching was deep on one side and gradually became shallow on the other side.

Last but not least the brand new front fiber optic front sight was bent over.

He refused to do any repairs or reimbursement. Shoulda taken them to small claims court but I wasn't like that back then.

Furthermore being local I know two guys that used to work for them with plenty of jaw dropping negative stories.

Your gun looks good though.

Mike Casselton

Trunk Monkey
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2007
Lithia, FL
Not a fan of his acid etching or the way he marks the caliber/ model. That's why mine was left bone stock.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I would have been pissed

Blue Sky Country

Urban Cowboy
Belligerents
Minuteman
I am also a major adherent of Ruger, and the one thing I appreciate the most about them is that their guns are overbuilt. The Vaquero is more than adequate for handling stout loads. (Of course, the rugged simplicity of the SAA internal action design plays a major role here too) When I got my Vaquero in .357 Magnum, I had been conflicted at the time about whether I should go the full hog and settle on the vaunted and hellishly strong Super Blackhawk chambered in .454 Casull. I went with the Vaquero because it fits perfectly in the multiple function zone between being powerful enough to take down serious game, and also compact enough to lug around as an EDC defensive pistol.

@Mike Casselton : As a gunsmith myself, I tend to frown upon the overuse of literature and safety warnings engraved on the firearm itself. It really takes a toll on the aesthetics, far more than actual blemishes, dings or scratches would. Any letters or markings on the actual gun, if not done correctly, puts a bad look on it. A lot of trad shooters tend to be critical of Ruger for that one sole flaw. Some of the most serious SASS/NCOWS shooters would have their weapons "de-farbed" to obtain a more period correct and original look. Only the serial number is present and everything else that is unnecessary would be smoothed over or given the patina treatment.

Last edited:

Mike Casselton

Trunk Monkey
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2007
Lithia, FL
@Blue Sky Country
I hate all the warnings roll stamped into the barrels of modern guns. I totally agree that they ruin the aesthetics of any firearm.
With this 41 I got lucky because it's a pre-warning revolver.
I would have paid extra to remove the markings.
I also have a 5.5 SS Bisley in 45 Colt that I've seriously considered having the markings removed.

For the cost and shipping both ways, I could almost afford the 5.5 Bisley in 480.

I don't need it, but when does need ever factor in?

myronman3

deez nutz
Belligerents
Mar 24, 2017
1FC98A70-1C60-411C-8427-9E4FDEFFE68B.jpeg

My other 44 special. I settled for the special....i really wanted this one in a 41. There were two for sale....one 44 special and another 41 magnum....there was another guy out there who wanted that 41 just a smidge more than i did...so i grabbed the 44 instead. I am laying in the weeds, waiting for another 41 to surface.