Sorting brass ??????

Savage Mark

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2018
Just curious as to how many shooters sort their brass ! Im using Lapua 6br and 6.5x47 . Just wondering if anyone has seen a difference in POI with say a 1 grain spread ? 2 grain spread ?

Thx

Mark

Rocketvapor

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
South East Louisiana
I sort out a new batch (200 or so) to find the outliers. Use them for dummy rounds.
While doing this I end up, by default, with a bunch of 'a little lighter' and a bunch of 'a little heavier'.
The bunches should be within a grain or two or you received a bad batch.

ZiaHunter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2012
Southern NM
Used to but never saw a difference at 600 with a Dasher or 1000 with a 284. Pay more attention to charge weight and neck tension. Sort trim and point bullets. Use Lapua brass for both.

cmoore806

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2020
Northern Ohio
I think you're talking about weighing empty brass and some of the replies look like weighing loaded brass?

cmoore806

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2020
Northern Ohio
I guess I never considered it because a lot can change the weight of brass (density of the alloy, dirt./debris, differences in flash holes, trim length. The weight isn't the factor, its all the other things that are (length, flash holes,) to name a few. If a case were longer (and therefore heavier) it would change the seating depth of the bullet which reduces internal volume which makes a bigger difference than the weight of the brass case alone.

Savage Mark

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2018
I guess I never considered it because a lot can change the weight of brass (density of the alloy, dirt./debris, differences in flash holes, trim length. The weight isn't the factor, its all the other things that are (length, flash holes,) to name a few. If a case were longer (and therefore heavier) it would change the seating depth of the bullet which reduces internal volume which makes a bigger difference than the weight of the brass case alone.
Only reason I ask is some guys in F class sort their brass by weight . Guys at my range say they sort to .5 grain. I was just wondering if anyone saw point of impact change with say a 2 grain heavier or lighter case ? And forgive my ignorance , but I’m not sure I understand about a longer case changing seating depth .

cmoore806

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2020
Northern Ohio
if a case is longer then the bullet has to be seated further into the neck to achieve the same OAL as a shorter case. The opposite is also true. A case that is shorter would require the bullet to be seated less to achieve the same OAL. Ive noticed this when I load bullets with a cannelure. cases need to be consistent lengths to get consistent OAL in the case of using cannelures

Rocketvapor

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
South East Louisiana
Well, my reply was cases, not loaded brass.
Buy 200, 250, whatever, brand new brass.
If your total weight range of empty cases is one or two grains, you wasted time.
IF you run into one or two heavies, and one or two light cases. then those should probably be culled.
This also isn't necessarily a "buy quality" issue.
New cases from the same lot probably have the same (almost) density.
Weight sorting dirty brass is dumb.
Weigh the little bit you get out of a flash hole.
Weighing cases of different lengths probably won't give good results.

Try this: Measure length and weight one of your culled brand new cases.
Trim off ONE GRAIN from the neck.
How much did you take off?
Really. Give this a try. Tell us how much length you had to trim.
Oh, and what caliber/brand.

What brand has a weight distribution for a reasonable quantity (at least a hundred) of 2 grains or less?

IF you quickly sort through your brass to find just the outliers, the one or two that are really different than the majority, you pretty much have sorted all of them. Just put them into different stacks.
1 grain increments, heavy/light, quarter grain increments.
You weighed them, why not separate them? It's free. :)

Last edited:

Rocketvapor

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
South East Louisiana
and since this is in the F-Class section :)

Ignoring wind (I wish) 1/4 MOA off a center hold is right on the line of being an X or a 10 with a 1/2 MOA X ring.

An eighth of an MOA can easily mean a dropped point.

Rocket204

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2013
With Lapua brass I trim to length and outside neck turn only as far as brass prep goes, then I weigh them. Any cases way out say for 308 FTR +/- .5 I use for warm ups on load develop. Lapua is very good brass I rarely toss any out due to weight, if I have a bad shot on target for no good reason I toss that piece of brass in the warm up box or trash.

Learning how to read the wind is key.

nfngun

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 26, 2011
NY
it is recommended you sort. Lapua tends to sort out into 2 main lots, Don't know why this is but it does. I switched brand avoid having to sort.