So....How are your stocks doing

Fig

Janitor of the Hide
Mar 15, 2018
The Most Dangerous City in the USA
I don't know a single thing about stocks or trading, so I don't own any. When a financial advisor looks at me they're shocked, shocked I tell ya, at how I'm not "diversified".

I tell them they're fucking crazy and don't know what they're talking about. I have multi-family. I have industrial. I have office. I have retail. I have vacation rentals.... I'm about as diversified as you can possibly be. It's just all my assets are REAL. Nothing is just paper.

I only mess with what I fully understand and what I can control. If it's more work for me and the return is a little lower I'm fine with that.

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
How's it doing, though? Are they treating it well? Is it in a climate controlled environment? They're not tossing it around like it has FRAGILE on the box, right?
The newest lower is quite upset. It keeps asking me to take it down to the road so that we can protest and demand social justice from FedEx if they drive by.

BoilerUP

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 16, 2011
Clark Co., IN
Equities were overvalued anyway after 2017's borderline stupid rally.

The underlying economic data is strong and unemployment is low. The market reacts to tariffs and energy prices from an emotional, not a fundamental, perspective.

In other words: buying opportunity, and if you don't wanna be an active trader find a S&P500 index fund to put money into and leave it the FUCK alone.

Waorani

Back to the Island
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, AL
It’s rare the pros outperform a good index fund anyways.
That was the first thing I learned years ago when starting to invest and doing a lot of reading. I suspect you have to have serious $$ before you can get quality investment management. You ain't gonna get it at Edward Jones.

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Oct 8, 2012
Somewhere in the US
I meant me not some douchebag in a suit milking you for all your money.
Sweet! Well, give me some advice. I’m all ears. And the actual number that I’ve lost is about 18% in 2 months time. So not quite a 1/3 but that’s pretty rough. It’s under the care of a new pro since I was forced to take it out of my company’s plan more or less, after they sold us off. Had to go somewhere or take the tax penalty. Now I wish I had just got a good index fund and went at it alone.

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
That would be a very good point, except there is a bit of an issue with that around here.
You don't actually "Buy" land, rather you pay a large price to rent the land from the local government and if you stop paying the rent they demand, they can just come in and take it from you and "Sell" it to another renter.
Then they can pretty much hike the rent endlessly each year.
If you have a nice property, they can take it from you, or if that's a bit hard, they just tax you ever more till you go broke trying to pay for it & have to sell to one of their buddies.

When we are rebuilding civilization, remember that it must be a basic tenant of the new constitution that nobody may tax or fee or in any other way make you pay for what you own, especially your land and your savings.

Last edited:

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Oct 8, 2012
Somewhere in the US
That would be a very good point, except there is a bit of an issue with that around her.
You don't actually "Buy" land, rather you pay a large price to rent the land from the local government and if you stop paying the rent they demand, they can just come in and take it from you and "Sell" it to another renter.
If you have a nice property, they can take it from you, or if that's a bit hard, they just tax you ever more till you go broke trying to pay for it & have to sell to one of their buddies.

When we are rebuilding civilization, remember that it must be a basic tenant of the new constitution that nobody may tax or fee or in any other way make you pay for what you own, especially your land and your savings.
Yep. Most people don’t realize that they are actually renters. At the end of the day, in the fine print, the gov really owns your land. The funny thing is, they even tax you for renting it. It’s pretty messed up imo.

Rthur

Philomath
Apr 16, 2010
Not Chicago, Illinios
That would be a very good point, except there is a bit of an issue with that around here.

Another example of "them" making those evil land/asset owners pay their fair share...

R

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
I think there is a chance the stock market is in for a bit of a rocky ride in the very short term.

I'm not sure exactly who was pulling the strings on the whole getting another country to arrest one of the heads of Huawei. But that it happened right as Trump was having dinner with the Chinese dictator makes me think some of the Deep State types in the FBI and government are working hard to throw a wrench in the possibility that Trump could work out a new trade agreement with China.

I'm not sure how far the Chinese will push it, but I could see them being interested in letting the trade war go hot for a bit.

The Democrats & Deep State would like nothing better than an excuse to show Trump up.

It does seem however that the Chinese Government is becoming fully invested in the matter:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...-if-huawei-executive-meng-wanzhou-not-n945696
Basically in China they summoned both the US Ambassador and the Canadian Ambassador to lodge "strong protests".
Also in subtle Chinese message sending fashion, the meeting was with the Vice Foreign Secretary of China.

Vodoun daVinci

Sergeant of the Hide
Dec 17, 2017
It goes up - it goes down. Billionaires "drop" little bombs that make the stock market go *CrAzy!* because they get the information a few minutes before you do. They pay for that.

It's a game. Buy index funds that diversify across a multitude of stocks/companies and then ride it. Don't sell - never sell. Buy good stuff that pays dividends and never sell it. It'll go down (BooHoo - much weeping) and the Players will sell it and lose their shirts and then it goes up (surprise!) but overall it goes up, and up, and up, as long as Capitalism reigns.

In 20 years it will be up. Way up. This Week/Month/Year? Maybe not so much. Buy cheap Index Funds and hold them forever. Stop playing the market...Billionaires are counting on the fact that you can't take a 10% loss and will sell. So they buy your loss and ride it up. Right now stuff money in and buy 3 month CD's.....when it looks a little better in a year or so move that money to stocks in vetted companies that pay dividends and Never. Fucking. Sell. Hold it 20 years and watch the money roll in.

VooDoo

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Oct 8, 2012
Somewhere in the US
It goes up - it goes down. Billionaires "drop" little bombs that make the stock market go *CrAzy!* because they get the information a few minutes before you do. They pay for that.

It's a game. Buy index funds that diversify across a multitude of stocks/companies and then ride it. Don't sell - never sell. Buy good stuff that pays dividends and never sell it. It'll go down (BooHoo - much weeping) and the Players will sell it and lose their shirts and then it goes up (surprise!) but overall it goes up, and up, and up, as long as Capitalism reigns.

In 20 years it will be up. Way up. This Week/Month/Year? Maybe not so much. Buy cheap Index Funds and hold them forever. Stop playing the market...Billionaires are counting on the fact that you can't take a 10% loss and will sell. So they buy your loss and ride it up. Right now stuff money in and buy 3 month CD's.....when it looks a little better in a year or so move that money to stocks in vetted companies that pay dividends and Never. Fucking. Sell. Hold it 20 years and watch the money roll in.

VooDoo
That’s my strategy. I’m invested in some good stuff. Unfortunately, some are down as much as 11% this last week but all were down about 2.5%.

Last edited:

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Jan 22, 2014
Rhode Island
Mine are doing awesome because I sold them all at the beginning of the year.

As a result, of my move, I have a decent 6% of growth this year. Still waiting for the bottom to fall out to allow some bargain basement shopping