Seekins rifle ? /lightweight rilfe

Fleece82

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
Hi,
New to the forum but been researching and reading on here a lot in the past year. I've noticed that people have purchased discount codes from other members for seekins rifles. If any one knows of or has a discount code available. Please let me know!

On to the more important matter. Anyone have any suggestions on a quality builder or setup i could use for a sub 6lb hunting rifle in 6mm creedmoor?

The rifle will be for my father. He has been going through cancer treatment and dealing with parkinsons. He isnt able to handle a 9-10lb rifle anymore and has become recoil sensitive. Want a lightweight, short barrelled set up for him. Thought the 6mm creedmoor with a 20"+/- barrel with a break would be optimal. I know there are a few factory offerings out there but they get into the 3-4k price range, which gets into custom build price. So just weighing options and possibilities.

Thanks!

DJL2

Talon 6
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
Seekins makes a 5.5 lb rifle - the Element. Is that what you want the code for?

From everything I've seen, if you want that weight ready to go out of the box, it's gonna cost. I've seen Remington and Browning do factory offerings in excess of $3k. The Sako Carbon Wolf is up there as well, but not in 6 CM.

Examples:
https://www.remington.com/custom-shop/classic-series-rifles/model-700/ultimate-sheep-rifle ($5900)
https://www.sako.fi/en-us/rifles/sako-85/85-carbon-wolf ($3500)

I'd take the Havak Element @ $2800 all day over any $3k+ factory offering I've seen. No contest.

That said, I've been doing some research on this. Lots of customs actions to be had from about 2 lbs and $900-1100. You can get a carbon stock from McMillan/Manners/AG Composites etc. that'll come in around 28-30 ounces (depending on how you option it) and $700-800. You're sitting at 4 lbs and, say, $1800 bucks before you add barrel, bottom metal, etc. You can probably bring it in under $2800 for the Element with some shopping around...but you won't necessarily have a better or lighter rifle.

For consideration:

Fleece82

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
Seekins makes a 5.5 lb rifle - the Element. Is that what you want the code for?

From everything I've seen, if you want that weight ready to go out of the box, it's gonna cost. I've seen Remington and Browning do factory offerings in excess of $3k. The Sako Carbon Wolf is up there as well, but not in 6 CM.

Examples:
https://www.remington.com/custom-shop/classic-series-rifles/model-700/ultimate-sheep-rifle ($5900)
https://www.sako.fi/en-us/rifles/sako-85/85-carbon-wolf ($3500)

I'd take the Havak Element @ $2800 all day over any $3k+ factory offering I've seen. No contest.

That said, I've been doing some research on this. Lots of customs actions to be had from about 2 lbs and $900-1100. You can get a carbon stock from McMillan/Manners/AG Composites etc. that'll come in around 28-30 ounces (depending on how you option it) and $700-800. You're sitting at 4 lbs and, say, $1800 bucks before you add barrel, bottom metal, etc. You can probably bring it in under $2800 for the Element with some shopping around...but you won't necessarily have a better or lighter rifle.

For consideration:
The element is the main reason for the code search. Yes. Wont be my deciding factor but figured I'd ask around. It's def on my short list of factory gun considerations and I agree for the price, possibly best off the shelf package.

I have also priced things out exactly as you have with action, stock, etc. My issue is I dont really have anyone around me that is reputable to do the fit and finish work... bedding, etc.....
Thanks for all the input!

Fleece82

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
Barrett Fieldcraft for the win
The fieldcraft was actually one of my first considerations but I'd have to change the stock. Dont like the cheek piece. Not a deal breaker but an extra expense and hassle in rather not deal with. Then comes the issue of finding someone to do a decent bedding job.

DJL2

Talon 6
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
If it matters, the Fieldcraft is supposed to be full length bedded IIRC. Not really my cup of tea, but I understand the reason behind it - light whippy barrel and all.

Gobears16

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Walnut Creek, Ca
The fieldcraft is an unreal factory flyweight rig. The stock is stiff and lightweight. It’s not full length bedded but Barrett does bed the recoil lug and action perfectly, very tight fit. Mine is the 21in 6.5cm flavor and shoots eldx .75 out to 800 yards. For an all up (sling scope rings and ammo) rifle under 7lbs I think you can’t buy better off the shelf.

I also have a 6cm in Seekins PH1 and if the quality is the same in the element (which I have no doubt it is) then that would be a winner to. They are about a $1000 difference in price.

For me I’d buy the Fieldcraft and use that extra money and buy a Swaro Z3 in Talley lightweights to keep the weight in line with the rifle.

Reactions: DJL2

DJL2

Talon 6
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
Yeah, good point on pricing...the Fieldcraft is in a pretty good spot for a <6 lb rifle.

Gobears16

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Walnut Creek, Ca
Yeah, good point on pricing...the Fieldcraft is in a pretty good spot for a <6 lb rifle.
Just a side note. Barrett is stopping production, for the time being, of the fieldcraft because of a military contract. For your fathers condition I’d also look at the .243. The Fieldcraft 243 twist is 1-7 so you can shoot the heavies if you like or shoot the 80gr ttsx for a very light recoiling deer killer. There’s a few on gunbroker right now.

Fleece82

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
Appreciate all the help and opinions guys. I think I'm going to go the element route. After some discussion and research, goin have some custom touches done by seekins that will benefit him and make it a optimal rig for him!

HydroMT

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2019
Appreciate all the help and opinions guys. I think I'm going to go the element route. After some discussion and research, goin have some custom touches done by seekins that will benefit him and make it a optimal rig for him!
Let us know how you like the Element, been looking for solid reviews on it.

Fleece82

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
Will do. I have a custom PH2 coming and now the custom element. Soon as I get them and put some rounds down range I'll get an update posted!

Reactions: HydroMT