Seekins 6.5 CM SP-10 handloads?

giannid

Private
Belligerents
Mar 20, 2017
I sold my 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun and have the Seekins SP10 on the way. I'm going to be working on a handload as I'm turning this into my long range plinker and pig gun. I haven't really loaded much for Semi Autos and imagine that keeping the coal to fit in the magazine is going to road block things a bit. With my bolt gun, I used the Berger VLD and they were loaded long, much longer than would fit in a magazine. I imagine I should just load all my rounds to magazine length and not even try any shorter coals?

So for this rifle, I ordered the Hornady ELDx and the SMK 142. I know the SMK's aren't dedicated hunting bullets but many hunt with them with good luck. Are there any other bullets I should try? I'll be using H4350 with hornady brass I already have from my other rifle.

It also seems I can't find Forster dies in the 6.5 dies anywhere. These have been my go to for the last couple of years for die, I just like them. Anything else out there that works as good? These days I usually take out the expanders out of my FL dies and use a mandel from 21st century reloading in another step to inside neck size. Seems like I get more consistent seating pressure with the bullets.

Reactions: shax2lex

bfoosh006

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 13, 2007
PNW
No offense, but, it Sounds like you might need to wait and see how deep the throat is on the Seekins.

Remember, For a semi auto, feeding can be as important as OAL... even in the magazine.

I have had numerous 308 and 6.5CM's produce stellar groups ( IMHO ) with just factory ammo.

Factory Criterion barrel ( Note.. Adj. GB and heavy buffer assm. and lapped upper receiver face )
10rds Horn. AG 140gr

Factory PSA FN CHF CL.. same added parts...
10rds Horn. AG 155gr, also 100yds

IMHO, the best hing I have done to large frame gas guns has benn lapping the upper receiver faces flat / true.... the lapping tool ( Pacific Tool and Guage ) is only 30 bucks... at the very least doing so has produced much more consistent groupings, with a larger variety of factory ammo.

If you'd like I can send you a link to my PSA PA65 before and after results. ( Drastic improvements with factory ammo, in that bargain upper )

just IM me.

Reactions: AMP!

giannid

Private
Belligerents
Mar 20, 2017
I don't plan on shooting factors ammo. These days, unless it's a handgun, it's all hand loads.

What's this lapping the upper receivers flat true you're talking about? This is a factory built Seekins rifle, not one I put together. I'd imagine they do this in house when they build the rifle.

giannid

Private
Belligerents
Mar 20, 2017
bfoosh, thanks for your help. For now, I'm just going to try and develop and handload for the rifle and see if I can get it to shoot. Seems like a lot of people are having pretty good luck with these rifles from the factory. I really don't want to take it apart and mess with if, if I did, I would of just built one.

Niles Coyote

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 13, 2007
South West, MI
So for this rifle, I ordered the Hornady ELDx and the SMK 142. I know the SMK's aren't dedicated hunting bullets but many hunt with them with good luck. Are there any other bullets I should try? I'll be using H4350 with hornady brass I already have from my other rifle.
I've only used 140 ELD-M and 140 A-Max before the ELD was available. Many a Mule Deer have dropped with that combination.

Tip on loading it in a semi... anneal often and dont try to hot rod them. 41.3 grains of H4350 is my load, the higher node I've shot in my bolt rifles would not remain anywhere near as consistent.

Niles Coyote

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 13, 2007
South West, MI
SAAMI chambered JP Enterprise barrel with rifle +2" gas system. It'll be a bit before I can measure OAL but I jump them from .030" off the lands and use Laure mags which can accommodate a OAL of 2.87"