Safety on the trigger a requirement?

Bravo6niner

Private
Belligerents
Oct 30, 2017
Colorado
Just curious if the rules for prs/nrl require a trigger with a safety? Everything is bolt back and have never used the safety at a match in the past.

Rob01

Super Mod/Team Blaster
Staff member
Jul 9, 2001
NC
www.teamblaster.net
Not sure on the official rules but all the matches I have shot this year started with "bolt back, mag in and safety on" including the Pigg River PRS match a couple weeks ago. Some were "bolt closed on empty chamber, mag in and safety on"It's a smart move to have a safety on your rifle. Would suck to go to a match and not be able to shoot.

Bravo6niner

Private
Belligerents
Oct 30, 2017
Colorado
Not sure on the official rules but all the matches I have shot this year started with "bolt back, mag in and safety on" including the Pigg River PRS match a couple weeks ago. Some were "bolt closed on empty chamber, mag in and safety on"It's a smart move to have a safety on your rifle. Would suck to go to a match and not be able to shoot.
Ya I’m like you and lean towards better to have and not need, than the other way around. I seen a trigger in the Px I was interested in. It was a no safety version and that is what got me to thinking about this. The few matches I’ve been to I’ve never need/used the safety. It was always bolt back type of deal.

Bravo6niner

Private
Belligerents
Oct 30, 2017
Colorado
Gamers be needin' that extra 2 millisecond advantage on the clock
to not flick the thumb
No not really looking at it for a “gaming” purpose. There is a trigger on the px with no safety that was priced right and the matches I’ve been to have never been bolt back, safety on. Been to a handful of matches last few years and have never used a safety. Don’t close the bolt till your ready to shoot type of deal.

Few guys posting that some matches require a safety so I’ll keep looking for a trigger with a safety.

Reactions: kindabitey

ThePretzel

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
Boulder, CO
People actually engage safety on/off at matches?
That's what I was thinking. The safety on my match rifle and the safety on my O/U shotgun both have never been put back on after the first time I took it off. Well, I did have to put it back on for my O/U once because the first time I took it off I selected the wrong barrel to shoot first. My cousin put the safety on my rifle once when I took him out shooting with me, but that's it I suppose.

I haven't encountered a match where I was required to use it, but I can't say I'd be inconvenienced any if they did. I treat the bolt as my safety (open and back until I'm on target) so it wouldn't be any extra hassle to just stick my thumb down and push on the safety when I'm already pushing the bolt forwards anyways.

It doesn't get in the way for me and I suppose there might be matches where it's required, so I would say it's probably worth it to just buy a trigger with a safety from the get-go. It's not like having the safety will ever hurt you (besides waiting a little bit longer to find the perfect trigger perhaps).

Reactions: Bravo6niner