Ruger Precision Rimfire

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
If those are edge to edge measurements, those groups are very nice center to center. I can only imagine what it would do with ammo it really likes.

Maybe the bashers ought to line up at the crow buffet. I hear there's humble pie for dessert.

If those are edge to edge measurements, those groups are very nice center to center. I can only imagine what it would do with ammo it really likes.

Maybe the bashers ought to line up at the crow buffet. I hear there's humble pie for dessert.
Ha, NOT very observant are you, you likes you some crow pie I bet, note the vertical stringing on almost every group - likely from receiver flex.

Out of 9 groups with 3 different types of ammo 3 had vertical stringing. One of those is an off the shelf 7c per round bullet. I just expected so much more out of a $400 rifle when it went to the range for the 1st time. :rolleyes: I guess he should just toss it into the plastic recycle bin.

As for me I look at this 1st range report as very encouraging. Like all 22's a little more load development with a few other types of ammo could reveal a real winner, even for a rifle at 3 times the cost. Really interested to see what SK Rifle match, Wolf Match Plus or Lapua Center X will look like. Now I'm intrigued. The Ruger booth at SHOT will definitely be one of my 1st stops.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Ha, NOT very observant are you, you likes you some crow pie I bet, note the vertical stringing on almost every group - likely from receiver flex.
Barrel vibration, of which receiver flex is one component, has multiple degrees of freedom. Which means that almost perfectly vertical stringing like what those targets show is most likely ammo related.

I'm more observant than you think.

How is the chassis feel? I know it is made of plastic (but it is a very decent price).

I wonder if any of the stringing could be chassis related - some stiffening work with arrow shafts or something could maybe help.

Barrel vibration, of which receiver flex is one component, has multiple degrees of freedom. Which means that almost perfectly vertical stringing like what those targets show is most likely ammo related.

I'm more observant than you think.
Sounds bombastically fancy, but it can simply be flex from weighing down the rifle differently from shot to shot.

I have no problem admitting I'm right or wrong, lol. I was mostly seeing what it's like to act like you do.

POI shifting from frame flexing will be a trend or it won't. let's hope for the best. I'm not familiar with composites and there stiffness ratings but I'll put more confidence in steel or aluminum off the top of my head if higher precision is top priority. Although the worst shifting I've experienced was with a AR7 copy with a super thin aluminum frame.

It turns out a friend is interested in buying one, if so I'll do some testing of my own.

Actually if someone who owns one could try to induce flex "on purpose" that would help solve doubts either way. Shoot some groups with as little interaction on the rifle as possible, some more with normal interaction, and push down harder on the rifle for more groups.

For what this rifle costs, with the groups already shown and the ammo used, it's not bad, just as long as it feeds and ejects well.

I've noted a trend on all Rimfire boards... Everyone seems to what to hate Rugers attempts at a precision rimfire, even thought there has been plenty of targets posted that clearly show there barrels can go toe to toe with everyone favorite darling the CZ. My Ruger Target shot great out of the box. and the Ruger Prevision looks like it is doing the same.

Few of us can or will drop $2-$3K on a Rimfire bolt gun and another $1K on a scope. Especially when there are options like Ruger out there. And Just my Humble opinion, worth what you paid for it, but the Ruger Magazine is the Number 1 feed system out there.Based on performance and cost.

I'm looking forward to more of these getting into shooter's hands. Like lots of other options in the market, it fills a niche that will appeal to some while others won't have anything to do with it. I can see it doing quite well, especially if the trigger is acceptable and the accuracy is there.

Held one Saturday. My buddy got one in for his shop and offered it to me first at cost.

They do look nice, but as someone mentioned earlier; they "feel" like a .22 and for that reason I passed. The bolt throw is a little choppy but not bad. The trigger is heavy like you'd expect but again, for a factory rifle, not bad. I like that they will take regular 10/22 mags and for someone just starting out on the rimfire road... "not bad." Ha!

The big downside when comparing it to a CZ is the inherent lack of aftermarket support and the very limited customization that will be available due to the design. Besides a barrel and a bolt knob, it doesn't look like much will be possible.

With that said, I am absolutely thrilled that Ruger made this move. It is doing to rimfire what it did for "Precision" centerfire with their RPR - it is creating interest and we need all the new blood we can get.