Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

BadQ

grumpy old fart
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2019
houston texas
Went out with the rpr xl yesterday. Factory ammo (cheapest s&b I can find local) runs right at .7 moa. I shot ladders and most everything was sub moa. I had several in the .6-.7 range, and 2 sets under .5. I know it can do better because I usually stack 2 rounds and have one open the group. I guess it's time to buy some lapua brass and see what all the hubbub is about.

and just to through it out there.... Houston in the middle of august is brutal at the range

20190816_104940.jpg20190816_114205.jpg20190816_101152.jpg

03psd

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
Went out with the rpr xl yesterday. Factory ammo (cheapest s&b I can find local) runs right at .7 moa. I shot ladders and most everything was sub moa. I had several in the .6-.7 range, and 2 sets under .5. I know it can do better because I usually stack 2 rounds and have one open the group. I guess it's time to buy some lapua brass and see what all the hubbub is about.

and just to through it out there.... Houston in the middle of august is brutal at the range

View attachment 7131957View attachment 7131960View attachment 7131961
I wouldnt be so sure itll do much better. On 1 hand I would be thrilled with anything sub MOA with the "Cheapest S&B" you could find. But on the other hand, its a 3 shot group. I would bet those groups to be bigger with 5 shots and cheap ammo. If it shoots consistently . 5-.6" 5 shot groups with quality handloads than I think you would be getting about the most you should expect for a production rifle with all factory parts. Ive upgraded everthing on my RPR except the barrel and while I am occasionally rewarded with a .3-.4" group, its really a .5-.7" rifle when I do my part. A new Proof tube would probably narrow that but Im not that disciplined and a Proof barrel costs as much as the rifle did new.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherwannabe

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
I had plans to reload my own so I saved all of my brass but it looks as though I'll be selling everything.

cgobeli

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2018
I have the enhanced RPR with the smooth top rail on the forend. Does anyone know who makes a screw on 1913 rail that will mount on the factory hand Guard?i have night vision coming and need a place to clip it on the forward rail. Really don’t want to change handguards out yet.
This is straight from Sampson for a Gen 2 with Keymod

For the Gen II RPR, for 12 o’clock mounting:

https://www.samson-mfg.com/evolution-accessory-rail.html

cgobeli

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2018
Yea I’m not aware of anyone that makes a chunk of rail to match the contour of the top of the factory Gen 2 handguard. You could try to find something close but then you also gotta worry about hole spacing. Samson makes a direct replacement handguard that used the factory barrel nut for like $150. Probably cheapest and easiest option. That or find someone trying to sell a gen 3 mlok takeoff on flebay or something like that
This is straight from Sampson for a Gen 2 with Keymod

For the Gen II RPR, for 12 o’clock mounting:

https://www.samson-mfg.com/evolution-accessory-rail.html

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
Mine was shooting half moa till about 2700 rounds.

I'm now at 3018 rounds and it's struggling to hold an inch group @ 100 yards.

I just got a borescope I'll post some pics tonight of how burnt out my throat is 😂
Yup . . . sounds like it's time for a new barrel there. Getting 2700 rounds down a 6.5CM and holding 1/2 MOA is pretty good.

Of course, just how long the barrel is going to last has a lot to do with how hot the loads are. If one is running hot loads, one should expect a lot less than 2700.

My .308 factory barrel has 3700 rounds and still getting sub 1/2 MOA. . . . though I haven't run very many "hot" loads through it and my loads are typically medium/mild. The lands has moved .023 and I'm loading long.

Pilotscrappy

Winter is coming
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Medford,OR
Yup . . . sounds like it's time for a new barrel there. Getting 2700 rounds down a 6.5CM and holding 1/2 MOA is pretty good.

Of course, just how long the barrel is going to last has a lot to do with how hot the loads are. If one is running hot loads, one should expect a lot less than 2700.

My .308 factory barrel has 3700 rounds and still getting sub 1/2 MOA. . . . though I haven't run very many "hot" loads through it and my loads are typically medium/mild. The lands has moved .023 and I'm loading long.
I am running 42.6 of rl16 and a 140eld in hornady brass think I am right at 2700fps with that load in my rpr

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
I am running 42.6 of rl16 and a 140eld in hornady brass think I am right at 2700fps with that load in my rpr
Running some numbers through QuickLoad app and it appears you're not even close to 2700 fps, but more like 2850 -2980 (may not be quite right in that COAL or seating depth is not known). That 42.6 gr of RL16 is at or over 100% case capacity and it's a pretty hot load. This would seem to explain what you're experiencing in that with 2700 rounds down the barrel, and so, I'd say your barrel is simply done and you need to get a new one to get back you accuracy. You might want to take it to a gunsmith to see if what I'm saying might be true.

Pilotscrappy

Winter is coming
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Medford,OR
Running some numbers through QuickLoad app and it appears you're not even close to 2700 fps, but more like 2850 -2980 (may not be quite right in that COAL or seating depth is not known). That 42.6 gr of RL16 is at or over 100% case capacity and it's a pretty hot load. This would seem to explain what you're experiencing in that with 2700 rounds down the barrel, and so, I'd say your barrel is simply done and you need to get a new one to get back you accuracy. You might want to take it to a gunsmith to see if what I'm saying might be true.
Damn unless my chrono is way off I dunno?
Caldwell cheapo chronograph could be the culprit but I don't think I'm anywhere near those speeds.

It is a compressed load but I don't have pressure signs with the load.

Another interesting thing is in my 24" mpa barrel I'm running 41.6 of rl 16 and I'm about 2760fps, again according to my chrono.

My ruger barrel is Def shot out I'll. Post some pics of the bore shortly.

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
Damn unless my chrono is way off I dunno?
Caldwell cheapo chronograph could be the culprit but I don't think I'm anywhere near those speeds.

It is a compressed load but I don't have pressure signs with the load.

Another interesting thing is in my 24" mpa barrel I'm running 41.6 of rl 16 and I'm about 2760fps, again according to my chrono.

My ruger barrel is Def shot out I'll. Post some pics of the bore shortly.
Hmmm, could be the Chrono . . .???

BTW, I see I had a typo in the velocity range I wrote. The upper end I meant was supposed to be 2880 fps. . . not 2980. And note that QuickLoad was showing pressure just under 60,000 psi. So at that pressure, I too don't often see pressure signs in my .308 hot loads either (though I seldom load them that way). . . . but it IS "hot".

Pilotscrappy

Winter is coming
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Medford,OR
Hmmm, could be the Chrono . . .???

BTW, I see I had a typo in the velocity range I wrote. The upper end I meant was supposed to be 2880 fps. . . not 2980. And note that QuickLoad was showing pressure just under 60,000 psi. So at that pressure, I too don't often see pressure signs in my .308 hot loads either (though I seldom load them that way). . . . but it IS "hot".
I need to get that app, Ididnt realize the rpr load was so hot lol. I figured I had a super slow barrel but maybe my chrono is way off..
I think I was seating the ruger loads about. 30 off the lands

I'm actually cleaning the ruger barrel right now before I scope it.
I'm. Using bore tech on this barrel for the first time and Holy shit is a bunch of copper coming out. Maybe it's partly to blame for my slow speeds lol 🤷‍♂️

Pilotscrappy

Winter is coming
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Medford,OR
Just got done scrubbin the shit outta my barrel. Here are some pics of what the stock 6.5 creedmoor barrel looks like after 3k+ rounds.

Still shoots an inch @ 100 despite the throat being totally burnt out LOL :poop:

Attachments

Reactions: gigamortis

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
Just got done scrubbin the shit outta my barrel. Here are some pics of what the stock 6.5 creedmoor barrel looks like after 3k+ rounds.

Still shoots an inch @ 100 despite the throat being totally burnt out LOL :poop:
Yeah (lol), that throat is pretty charred. Though firecracking is normal to see . . . it depends on how far into the barrel it goes that can tell you something.

A little while back an "old timer" (like me) mentioned how he had a rifle barrel with only 4" of rifling left at the muzzle end and it still shot somewhat accurately; the point being that one can still, to some extent, hit a target with such a barrel, just not with much precision.

It seems to me that you did good getting 2700 rounds out of a 6.5 with such hot loads (even if it's a little less, whenever you actually started loosing precision).

Reactions: Pilotscrappy

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
Anyone ever used the MDT AICS mags in the .308 with binder plate removed, 2.960 OAL internal. (Berger 185)

BANG...ping

Private
Belligerents
Apr 15, 2017
Hello,
I am trying to get the barrel off my RPR, but the barrel nut is tight. Can I put the action in a vise so I can apply more torque to the nut? Is that the proper way to do it? I have seen Franks vids and it shows the action in a vise, but not while he applying torque to the barrel nut. How do you guys get the nut off?

Thanks in advance.

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
Hello,
I am trying to get the barrel off my RPR, but the barrel nut is tight. Can I put the action in a vise so I can apply more torque to the nut? Is that the proper way to do it? I have seen Franks vids and it shows the action in a vise, but not while he applying torque to the barrel nut. How do you guys get the nut off?

Thanks in advance.
Better to put the barrel in a barrel vise. Then, if you really need to apply some extra ordinary force, you won't be damaging the receiver in any way. You don't want to warp the receiver in any way.

Jethatsme

Private
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2017
Upgrading the RPR, does anyone have any great options for replacing the Buttstock. I have seen the Magpul PRS and Luth AR options but was looking to see if anyone had gone with something different while stile being an adjustable.

Mountainbum

Private
Hessian
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2018
Upgrading the RPR, does anyone have any great options for replacing the Buttstock. I have seen the Magpul PRS and Luth AR options but was looking to see if anyone had gone with something different while stile being an adjustable.
I was thinking of doing an MDT stock, but I hadn’t looked into it any further as of yet. They sell adapters, but not sure if they would work on the RPR.

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Which Buttstock is that? Looks great
That’s an XLR stock. I had one on my AR15. They’re really nice. I had a Luth AR which was nice too. The Luth AR is a little lighter I think and no tools required to adjust it. The XLR is a little more quality in my opinion, and is heavier (I like weight on my rig), but you need a hex key to adjust it. I don’t do a whole lot of adjusting though so that didn’t matter to me

RPR300WM

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2018
Krieger has barrels for the .300 win mag

Im thinking about replacing the barrel on my .300 win mag. Only have 150 rounds through it but it's not very consistent. Sometimes can get a decent group but often not. I just think that you really need at least 10 round groups to see what a rifle is truly capable of achieving.

My stock Ruger RPR barrel Cooper fouls pretty quickly and in reality probably a 1.25-1.5 MOA rifle when looking at 10 round groups.

I think this rifle needs a true match grade barrel with a chamber that's better than the SAAMI MIN version Ruger uses. I think that why the creedmoore and PRC shoot better than the .308 and .300 win mag, the chamber design.

I hope the a new barrel with a match chamber delivers better accuracy than the stock barrel.

Too bad Ruger doesn't machine a chamber like the mk248 mod1 because then there might be some usefulness to the rifle as purchased in this caliber.

REL1203

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 31, 2010
Centreville, VA
After reading through all 81 pages, i finally got to mount my Scope and Bipod last night (was waiting on the new rings) on my just purchased Gen 2 308 RPR. I got in on that killer GanderOutdoor $700 deal. The trigger is as crisp as my SAC .260 trigger, i cant wait to get her out to see how she shoots. image1 (007).jpeg

RPR300WM

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2018
Im thinking about replacing the barrel on my .300 win mag. Only have 150 rounds through it but it's not very consistent. Sometimes can get a decent group but often not. I just think that you really need at least 10 round groups to see what a rifle is truly capable of achieving.

My stock Ruger RPR barrel Cooper fouls pretty quickly and in reality probably a 1.25-1.5 MOA rifle when looking at 10 round groups.

I think this rifle needs a true match grade barrel with a chamber that's better than the SAAMI MIN version Ruger uses. I think that why the creedmoore and PRC shoot better than the .308 and .300 win mag, the chamber design.

I hope the a new barrel with a match chamber delivers better accuracy than the stock barrel.

Too bad Ruger doesn't machine a chamber like the mk248 mod1 because then there might be some usefulness to the rifle as purchased in this caliber.
I decided to go for a kreiger prefit barrel. 26", 4 groove, 1:9 heavy contour with their match chamber that is SAAMI MIN spec but more importantly with a .165" long, .3085" diameter freebore. Not to mention truly precision cut rifling .

I have some other accurate rifles in my inventory so the mediocre performance of the stock RPR barrel made it a ho-hum shooting experience. Yeah it's extra $, but i figure if I'm going to spend a buck everytime I pull the trigger (handloads) then I might as well maximize the pleasure.

rlsmith1

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2019
Anyone had any luck finding a magnum bolt head for a regular RPR? Looking at my current bolt (6mm Creed) I doubt it has enough material to open it up to magnum size. Wanting to rebarrel to 25 SAUM

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
After reading through all 81 pages, i finally got to mount my Scope and Bipod last night (was waiting on the new rings) on my just purchased Gen 2 308 RPR. I got in on that killer GanderOutdoor $700 deal. The trigger is as crisp as my SAC .260 trigger, i cant wait to get her out to see how she shoots. View attachment 7142959
Nice. Feel the power of the .308! The best factory ammo I’ve used was Nosler Custom 168 gr. Long range factory it liked 178 gr Hornady Superformance. Reloading it likes it heavy. Very heavy.

Reactions: DRAGON64

FromMyColdDeadHand

40X Mafia
Belligerents
Jun 19, 2008
CO
@REL1203 Is that how you have the rifle set to actually shoot? I Got a RPR 6.5GenIII for my son and he says that he needs the stock set just about at the limits, like yours is. It seems waaay long to me, but he is 6"1' and I'm 5" Worked it out to 550yards and are pretty happy with the accuracy.

RPRIII with Hornday 6.5CM 147gr (20 shots)
1567783622193.png

RPRIII with Hornday 6.5CM 140Gr (10 Shots)
1567815162598.png

I was surprised that the 140s weren't faster.

Racer88

Firearms Pedant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2018
With 2700 rounds through my RPR 6.5-CM, I thought I should try to break down the bolt and give it a cleaning for the first time. :) I've had some light primer strikes out at the range recently. I thought maybe cleaning the bolt and firing pin might help.

I watched Ruger's video on Youtube. Easy enough. When I pivoted the plastic firing pin removal tool, the two tabs broke! On the very first use! That's pretty pathetic! So, I just ordered the titanium shroud and tool from Anarchy Outdoors. There goes another $100! LOL!

Ruger bolt tool (2).jpg
Ruger bolt tool (1).jpg

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
@REL1203 Is that how you have the rifle set to actually shoot? I Got a RPR 6.5GenIII for my son and he says that he needs the stock set just about at the limits, like yours is. It seems waaay long to me, but he is 6"1' and I'm 5" Worked it out to 550yards and are pretty happy with the accuracy.
Nice work!

I’m 6’2” and my stock is pretty much maxed as well. Me thinks that cheek riser will come up a bit though..

Reactions: REL1203