Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Belligerents
May 19, 2013
Southern Idaho
Something else I noticed!
Yesterday I got bored so I decided to polish the feed ramps into the chamber which brought on a new train of thought, the RPR has M4 style feed ramps so does that create problems when using a single stack IA style Mag due to having the elevated ramp in between the two feed ramps?

I'm going to pick up some AW double stack style mags from Accurate Mag so I can run the longer COAL, I was just curious how they would work with single stacks?

Pilotscrappy

Winter is coming
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Medford,OR
Yesterday I got bored so I decided to polish the feed ramps into the chamber which brought on a new train of thought, the RPR has M4 style feed ramps so does that create problems when using a single stack IA style Mag due to having the elevated ramp in between the two feed ramps?

I'm going to pick up some AW double stack style mags from Accurate Mag so I can run the longer COAL, I was just curious how they would work with single stacks?
Good questions, hopefully someone with more experience can answer for us, cuz I have no idea lol

AllWorkAndNoPlay

Don’t forget to dial
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
Chapel Hill
D

Thanks for heads up which would suck because I like the Seekins Safety. Just curious what you mean by not meaty enough? Not big enough to engage safety due different design between the timney trigger vs stock, or not meaty enough as breaking.
Yeah, I liked how the red one looked on my rifle too, but it is just too light weight and too thin to engage and flip the safety in the Timney trigger. The OEM fire/safe selector is stout compared and flips the Timney safety with ease.

AXMC

Private
Belligerents
Apr 24, 2017
AW double stack mags won't work in a RPR...the action inlet isn't cut far enough forward to allow the flat front of the mag to seat up in the inlet. Since the bolt can handle double stacks (like PMAGS) and the profile is the same as an aics, you could probably get them to work by cutting a crescent shape notch out of the front of the aw mag to match an aics mag so it can interface with the rounded bottom of the action....though you might introduce other issues. AW mags are notoriously finicky in anything but an AI action.

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Belligerents
May 19, 2013
Southern Idaho
AW double stack mags won't work in a RPR...the action inlet isn't cut far enough forward to allow the flat front of the mag to seat up in the inlet. Since the bolt can handle double stacks (like PMAGS) and the profile is the same as an aics, you could probably get them to work by cutting a crescent shape notch out of the front of the aw mag to match an aics mag so it can interface with the rounded bottom of the action....though you might introduce other issues. AW mags are notoriously finicky in anything but an AI action.

Well shit!......

ChrisH56

Private
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017

I run MDT AI style mags in my RPR 6.5 CM and the run fine. Smoother than the PMags.

pewpewfever

Raw Recruit
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2019
DFW
Does anyone know what kind of thread protector barrel cap can go on the gen 2 RPR in 6mm creedmoor? Gotta have one for F class rifle so ... I mean, how about a 1/2-28 barrel cap for an AR15? Like this one?

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Belligerents
May 19, 2013
Southern Idaho
Does anyone know what kind of thread protector barrel cap can go on the gen 2 RPR in 6mm creedmoor? Gotta have one for F class rifle so ... I mean, how about a 1/2-28 barrel cap for an AR15? Like this one?

It's going to be a 5/8x24 heaps of people make them, JP enterprises has some nice ones. You can get them in .750 and .875 outer diameter $15

PS. I just measured the outside diameter at the end of my 6.5 RPR .750 will fit perfect for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllWorkAndNoPlay

AllWorkAndNoPlay

Don’t forget to dial
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
Chapel Hill

Pretty sure it’s 5/8x24

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017

Yes it is 5/8x24. 1/2x28 is mostly .223/5.56

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Any suggestion for a bore guide for the 6mm creedmoor RPR? I thought the Possum Hollow #4 would work but it isn’t fitting.

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Any suggestion for a bore guide for the 6mm creedmoor RPR? I thought the Possum Hollow #4 would work but it isn’t fitting.
I have this one for my .308 and I really like it. They have the 6 CM too

anon

Private
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2013

The 223 gen 2s that I bought came with thread protectors in the box. I replaced the brakes with those thread protectors. If you bought it new I think it was supposed to be in the box.

The manual calls it a muzzle cap. On the shopruger.com site they are called thread protectors. The spec sheet for the current 6mm Creedmoor RPR says it is a 5/8-24 thread.

pewpewfever

Raw Recruit
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2019
DFW
My friend wants to use his RPR in F Class competition, and the rule is that you can only load one round at a time and not from a magazine. He says the bolt on his RPR locks back when the mag is empty. Is there a way to make the RPR work for F Class?

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
My friend wants to use his RPR in F Class competition, and the rule is that you can only load one round at a time and not from a magazine. He says the bolt on his RPR locks back when the mag is empty. Is there a way to make the RPR work for F Class?
I don’t have time to look it up myself right now, but 8541 Tactical has a YouTube video where he goes over a number of different mags on the RPR Gen 2. The factory mags cause the bolt to “lock back” when empty, but other mags do not.

Reactions: pewpewfever

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
It's been quite a while since I read (somewhere around here) that one could make those mags work by filing/grinding of a piece of the mag at the back that keeps the bolt from moving forward when empty. I didn't do this myself as I simply bought a single stack MP mag that allowed the bolt to close when empty.

ChrisH56

Private
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
I made a single load follower that slips into the MagPul magazines. It is made from a section of PVC pipe (1 inch, I think). It holds the follwer down and allows the bolt to close. It slips in like a cartridge. See photos below.
3BkAAAAAAAA1.jpg3RkAAAAAAAA1.jpg

Creedmoor87

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2019
Missouri
I have question, it’s about mags. I have been using two same MP LR/SR .308 for my RPR , and for 6.5 CM AR-10 I had. Work flawlessly is both guns.
So what’s difference in the AW/MDT, and ACIS mags you guys keep talking about? and make they worth the $70-$90?
Just curious is all

DRAGON64

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2011
Alabama
www.dragonworksrocketry.com
Reactions: BU37377

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
It's been quite a while since I read (somewhere around here) that one could make those mags work by filing/grinding of a piece of the mag at the back that keeps the bolt from moving forward when empty. I didn't do this myself as I simply bought a single stack MP mag that allowed the bolt to close when empty.
the pmags are made for AR, gas rifles so they have a bolt catch on last round. After running the bolt enough, the mag will wear down so it does not stop the bolt, or you can file the bolt catch down, and it will run just fine.

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
I have question, it’s about mags. I have been using two same MP LR/SR .308 for my RPR , and for 6.5 CM AR-10 I had. Work flawlessly is both guns.
So what’s difference in the AW/MDT, and ACIS mags you guys keep talking about? and make they worth the $70-$90?
Just curious is all
The difference is case overall length limitations. I am running steel mags, due to my barrel wearing down. I have to load my rounds much longer to meet the .055 jump that the ELD likes.

anon

Private
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2013
I like the LR308 bob sled. It takes more travel on the release to get it out of position than the one for AI magwells. I shoot mine prone, slung up, so I figure the harder it is to get out, the less likely I am to do it unintentionally.

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Belligerents
May 19, 2013
Southern Idaho
Finished up load development narrowed it down to two loads 41.9 and 42.1 H4350. Tell me what you all think.

I have no idea what happened on my third shot of 41.9 I must have bumped the table and accidentally dropped a few extra kernels of powder in, because when that shot broke I actually felt the difference in the recoil.

I also noticed a bit of a difference from my last test, the first round of handloads I only neck sized the once fired brass and had quite a few that the bolt wouldn't close on. This time I full length sized my brass and had zero issues, but it did change my groups a bit. Those groups should tighten up even more once I get some AR mags that allow for a longer COAL, going to try some LaRue or KAC mags I believe those are the two that allow for the longest COAL

But all in all not too shabby for a bone stock RPR.

IMG_20190425_203540139.jpg
IMG_20190425_203558471.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LongRangeLefty

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
I also noticed a bit of a difference from my last test, the first round of handloads I only neck sized the once fired brass and had quite a few that the bolt wouldn't close on. This time I full length sized my brass and had zero issues, but it did change my groups a bit.
Yeah, it's really not so unusual that neck sizing will result in too tight a fit for some or all fired rounds. This is why when I neck size, I always bump the shoulder back to be sure to have enough and consistent head space. I find for my RPR .308, I get better results from neck sized cartridges than full length sized (even when adjusting for the difference in case volume). I suspect that may be because there seems to be some looseness built into the RPR SAAMI spec chamber that effects the over all concentricity on a chambered cartridge. I also bump the should back for consistency to get consistent trim length from my Giraud Tri Way Trimmer where the shoulder is what gauges the depth of the cut.

And, no surprise here that FL sizing gave you no feeding problems since that operation bumps the necks back . . . and, that your groups changed a bit since FL sizing reduces case volume, thereby increasing pressure and velocity.

But all in all not too shabby for a bone stock RPR.
(y)(y)

Lumpybrass

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2018
My load testing is about complete. Settled on Hornady ELD 140gr match, 42.0 gr H 4350 and hornady brass.
My last test was setting distance off the lands. Tested .020", .015", .010", .005", and JT.
The test was all 5 shot groups. Two groups at each jump measurement.
Being pleased with the results the next step is increasing the range out from 100 yds. Start with 200 yds and go from there.
target1.jpg

Last edited:

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Belligerents
May 19, 2013
Southern Idaho
My load testing is about complete. Settled on Hornady ELD 140gr match, 42.0 gr H 4350 and hornady brass.
My last test was setting distance off the lands. Tested .020", .015", .010", .005", and JT.
The test was all 5 shot groups. Two groups at each jump measurement.
Being pleased with the results the next step is increasing the range out from 100 yds. Start with 200 yds and go from there.
View attachment 7067835
Nice Shooting 👍

What mag did you use for the seating test or are you single loading them?

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
I ground the corner of all my pmag bolt stops with a dremel. You can close the bolt easy on empty, but the problem with single feeding is that it still doesn’t load the round at the correct angle. It’s either much to high or you have to keep the mag lower in the well about just before it clips in. I use the bob sled but I’ve always heard the PVC trick works very well too

Lumpybrass

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2018
I single load. Made a pvc pipe piece that loads in the mag . Kind of like a half pipe. Works well.
It just occurred to me that my load may not fit in a mag. Never checked it.
All my range shooting is single load.

RPR300WM

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2018
RPR 300 Win Mag
5x25 vortex PST gen2

225gr Hornady ELD M
76.8gr H1000
Win brass
GM215M primer
.030" off the lands (3.616" coal, 2.844" cbto)

The 225gr version of the .30 Cal ELD M bullet has a secant ogive so I had to experiment with seating depth to get better groups.

2888fps Ave (Prochrono @15')
13fps ES
5fps SD

IMG_20190427_122824.jpg

Last edited:

BU37377

Private
Belligerents
Mar 1, 2017
Reactions: hughmac4

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
Has anyone checked out Hornady's new A-Tip bullets?

Obviously, they're not for everyone, being that they're quite pricey (about double the cost of a typical match bullet). From listening to their video about this new A-Tip, it sounds like they really raised the bar for competitive shooters. see: https://www.hornady.com/bullets/a-tip-match#!/

Interestingly, RPR's are mentioned where the bullets will work particularly well with the twist rates the Ruger puts into them. Unfortunately for me, they don't make anything for .308's (currently, anyway). But if you're competitive and shooting 6's, 6.5's or 300's, it appears they've got a winner for you.

Guess I should have converted to a 6.5 when I swapped out my barrel??? :unsure:

Reactions: bigjake83

Carlos Danger

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Working on load development with this at 100 yds is proving to be a challenge. Theres almost not enough variation to say one group stands away from another. Testing varying seating depths all day. Best groups of the day....
20190427_192609.jpg20190427_192554.jpg20190427_192544.jpg

All 5 shot groups with either 115DTAC or 105 Nosler RDF'S. Both seemed to perform about the same.

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
^ Pretty nice. That’s just how development is I guess. One head scratch after another. I have a few different loads that work best in my rifle given different weather, distance etc. But I probably went through half a dozen before I found one that performs great in pretty much any scenario

Brutalwarpig

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
I just purchased a second generation RPR .308 with the M-Lok Handguard. Has anyone else's M-Lok had very sharp burrs around all the cutouts in the handguard? Mine cut my hand and is literally razor sharp in 20 different locations. It's like the hand guard wasn't finished being machined.
Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion thread

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
^ Wasn’t deburred after being machined. Might be the first I’ve heard of that. Ruger will take care of you

pewpewfever

Raw Recruit
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2019
DFW
My friend and I shared his rpr at a match this weekend. It was our first time using the RPR in match conditions where you have to advance and lock down the bolt only after getting your crosshairs on the target. We both noticed that locking down the bolt threw us off target. I know I actually lost the target several times and had to find it again. We had already cycled the bolt a thousand times which did smooth out the advance of the bolt, but did not seem loosen up the bolt rotation at all. Is this issue something that we just have to live with or is there anything to be done? I have a rifle on order that has a surgeon action. Should I expect the same issue with that one?

Pilotscrappy

Winter is coming
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Medford,OR
My friend and I shared his rpr at a match this weekend. It was our first time using the RPR in match conditions where you have to advance and lock down the bolt only after getting your crosshairs on the target. We both noticed that locking down the bolt threw us off target. I know I actually lost the target several times and had to find it again. We had already cycled the bolt a thousand times which did smooth out the advance of the bolt, but did not seem loosen up the bolt rotation at all. Is this issue something that we just have to live with or is there anything to be done? I have a rifle on order that has a surgeon action. Should I expect the same issue with that one?
I'm sure your surgeon will be night and day difference regarding bolt lock/bolt lift.
The rpr is very stiff , it's just something I've gotten used to.

Build a solid firing position, I kind of lean in when I'm loading my bipod and my sight picture doesn't move.

Just had to learn how to deal with it.

Then I shot my buddy's tikka, I almost ripped the bolt handle off.... lol..

Reactions: long range sponge