RRS leveling base squeaking, sticking.

tna9001

Sergeant of the Hide
Aug 4, 2017
Hey guys,

I just installed an RRS leveling base on my RRS tripod. Previously, I was using the BH-40 ball head and it worked great but I wanted to try the leveling base for added stability. I assume there is something wrong with the piece I received as I haven't even had it out of the house yet and it makes a loud squeak when I move the rifle around. If I take the rifle off, the movement of the base is sticky. According to the instructions, there isn't any user lubrication required. I'm planning on calling RRS tomorrow but I wanted to see if there was something I'm not thinking about (hopefully) so I can hit the range first thing in the morning.

Thank you!

stevenc23

Oct 21, 2013
I had the same issue with one and called RRS. They said I could ship it ship it to them for repair/replace. It was easier and cheaper to return it to the retailer. My replacement was much better. Out of curiosity, where did you buy it?

tna9001

Sergeant of the Hide
Aug 4, 2017
I spoke with RRS today, they suggested using this to lubricate the bowl and base:
IMG_5702.jpg
It worked great, the movement is very smooth and lockup seems tighter. This is available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Attachments

Top Bottom