R700 Barrel recommendations

CZp-01

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2018
Westport, Ma
Hey y'all,

Just dropped my Bergara B-14 in a MPA chassis. I'm going to shoot the original barrel a bit just to get some practice out of it. I would like to to sell off the the original stock and put the cash towards a better barrel.

I'm new to modifying and upgrading rifles for longer range accuracy. I'm planning on using this rifle in PRS.

What companies should I look at?
What length barrel?
Do i do a direct drop in?
How much does a barrel cost?

Appreciate the input!
Sorry, if I missed anything I'm just starting to learn some of this stuff.

Shoot Straight ✌

Stoweit

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jun 19, 2017
New England
Look at Long Rifles Incorporated's web sight, it can give you a better understanding and pricing.Don't know if Bergara actions have a drop in barrel option. Most common lengths in PRS are probably 24"-28". There are others with much more knowledge than me. Enjoy the journey.

CZp-01

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2018
Westport, Ma
Look at Long Rifles Incorporated's web sight, it can give you a better understanding and pricing.Don't know if Bergara actions have a drop in barrel option. Most common lengths in PRS are probably 24"-28". There are others with much more knowledge than me. Enjoy the journey.
Thank you!

Stoweit

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jun 19, 2017
New England
Chad is super helpful, and knowledgeable. Just spun me up a new barrel in M24 profile, Just waiting on Cerakote. Seems like it will be about three weeks once he got my action. They send updates with pictures of progress, pretty cool. Good Luck

Reactions: CZp-01

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
No prefits because they went with the coned bolt nose to make it tough. You can send it back to Bergara to rebarrel or send it to a smith. Once that smith has the measurements he should be able to make you a personal prefit though.

CZp-01

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2018
Westport, Ma
No prefits because they went with the coned bolt nose to make it tough. You can send it back to Bergara to rebarrel or send it to a smith. Once that smith has the measurements he should be able to make you a personal prefit though.
I'm guessing using my on smith would give me a wider choice of barrel options? Any recommendations on barrel MFG?

Dubbsda27

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2018
MO
Look at the precision rifle blog list of what the pros use for PRS since that is what your intended use will be. From there Take that list and whatever best fits you budget is what I would go with.

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
Bartlein brux proof benchmark kreiger k&p

But order now so then barrel is here when you need it

swampbuck

Sergeant
Hessian
Belligerents
May 11, 2012
Mississippi
If I were you this is what I would do. Your milage may very.

You are going to need a gunsmith to thread and chamber your new barrel. I would use RW Snyder gunsmithing. There are lots to choose from that have great reputations here on the hide but he is about the most reasonably priced. Chad is excellent, GA precision, SAC. Just to name a few. Again some will have longer waits and cost more. Gunsmiths can be like barbers. It's a personal decision.

As far as barrels there are several. I think Bartlein and Krieger are among the best but newer contenders include Hawk Hill, Benchmark, Brux, Proof research, Mueller. I would jump on bugholes web page and go with whatever is available. They are all priced competitively and will all outshoot you.

The main decision you will have to make is barrel contour and what cartridge to chamber. Weight is the end result of your contour decision. Many PRS rifles weigh in excess of 15 lbs before scope magazine, bipod. A great feature for precision scores but if you plan on hunting with this rifle I recommend a Sendero contour. You need to get the heaviest that you can haul around again this is addressed in the PRS blog what the pros use. Being your first custom job I would go with a 6.5 creedmoore at 26 inches to have the best balance of barrel life, trajectory, components and ammunition.

You will notice that a lot of the sponsored shooters and Team GAP and people like that all shoot 6mm cartridges. But they are professionals who work in this industry and change out barrels like a Nascar driver changes out tires. You ain't there yet.

One question is fluting. Should you or shouldn't you. The short answer is No. Again the PRS blog shows that very few PRS shooters have fluted barrels. There are different theorys on how fluting affects accuracy. You can read until you are blue in the face. What we do know is the removing metal does reduce weight and can look cool. Again like I said in the last paragraph some guys change barrels like a Nascar driver changes tires and fluting just cost to damn much.

Your money is better spent on having your barrel threaded for a brake. Again a subject also covered on the PRS blog and utilized by most PRS shooters.

CZp-01

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2018
Westport, Ma
If I were you this is what I would do. Your milage may very.

You are going to need a gunsmith to thread and chamber your new barrel. I would use RW Snyder gunsmithing. There are lots to choose from that have great reputations here on the hide but he is about the most reasonably priced. Chad is excellent, GA precision, SAC. Just to name a few. Again some will have longer waits and cost more. Gunsmiths can be like barbers. It's a personal decision.

As far as barrels there are several. I think Bartlein and Krieger are among the best but newer contenders include Hawk Hill, Benchmark, Brux, Proof research, Mueller. I would jump on bugholes web page and go with whatever is available. They are all priced competitively and will all outshoot you.

The main decision you will have to make is barrel contour and what cartridge to chamber. Weight is the end result of your contour decision. Many PRS rifles weigh in excess of 15 lbs before scope magazine, bipod. A great feature for precision scores but if you plan on hunting with this rifle I recommend a Sendero contour. You need to get the heaviest that you can haul around again this is addressed in the PRS blog what the pros use. Being your first custom job I would go with a 6.5 creedmoore at 26 inches to have the best balance of barrel life, trajectory, components and ammunition.

You will notice that a lot of the sponsored shooters and Team GAP and people like that all shoot 6mm cartridges. But they are professionals who work in this industry and change out barrels like a Nascar driver changes out tires. You ain't there yet.

One question is fluting. Should you or shouldn't you. The short answer is No. Again the PRS blog shows that very few PRS shooters have fluted barrels. There are different theorys on how fluting affects accuracy. You can read until you are blue in the face. What we do know is the removing metal does reduce weight and can look cool. Again like I said in the last paragraph some guys change barrels like a Nascar driver changes tires and fluting just cost to damn much.

Your money is better spent on having your barrel threaded for a brake. Again a subject also covered on the PRS blog and utilized by most PRS shooters.
Wow! Thank you for such a detailed reply. I def won't be hunting with it. I want to build it out as a PRS purpose rifle. It weighs about 15lbs now in the chassis with the B14 action. I'm going 6.5CM. I shoot a RPR in 6.5CM now which actually ran really well at my first match. This is all really new to me. It's a lot of information to take in.