Primer imprint while reloading

BoulderE89

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2019
I’m putting Fed 210M into hornady 6.5 CM brass and I really have to squeeze to get the primer to seat all the way, is it okay to get this imprint on the primer when it’s seated all the way?16D90EF7-77F3-4E5C-A8EC-7CD2BE88B608.jpeg

Supersubes

Snafu
Belligerents
Sep 6, 2006
Rural Nevada
Try giving the case a little spin while just touching the primer to the pocket. This should center up the primer. What you have there is not ideal, it should go bang though. Hopefully one doesn’t go bang while youre seating it.

Last edited:

Braxtond

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2020
Tennessee
I shoot hornady brass in my .308 and had seating problems with 210M’s. Took a lot of pressure to seat and some would shear. I compared the de capped brass to others and found a mild crimp in the pockets. I picked up a 7 dollar pocket reamer and the 210M primers go in smooth and consistent now. I’ve only had to run the reamer in each pocket once, from there I just spin em on a wire pocket brush after each firing. Hope that helps

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
Yeah, that's fairly normal with a hand primer and tight primer pockets (Valkyrie brass does this all the time). Like mentioned, you can rotate the cases to even it out and ensure the primer is fully seated. I think Mike (@Mag1c-Mik3 ) mentioned on the EDS podcast last year that he (as a matter of course) always seats the primer, then turns the case 180 degrees and seats it again, just to ensure consistent ignition. Seems like cheap and good insurance to me...