Practicing with Night Vision ...

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Photographer buddy told me I need to tap the phone screen in the area where the thermal display is ... to help the camera handle the bright display versus the black around it ... so will try that!

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-10-17
2100-2200
50F
05 MPH WNW

Goals: Coop patrol ...

Environment: Weather last few nights has been fairly consistent ... during the time in question in the upper 40s to low 50s ... coolest temps in the mornings upper thirties to low 40s. Skies have been clear, stars in full bloom. Even with my eyes, I can make out the fuzz of Andromeda. No moon and I'm actually going out 1-3 times every night for the next 2 weeks to take advantage of the reduced moon period.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3) with 77gr FM(r), TEO Mk3 35mm, 2.5x, 640(60), Spartan 3, Primos 1-leg shooting stick. Helmet with pvs-14 and ODIN 17mm, 1x, 320(30). On some nights, I take the .22lr(16), on some the 5.56(10.3) ...

Activity: Walked all around the 5 acre "human area" which includes all 7 buildings, the chicken coop, the apple orchard, the creek running through the middle of it, with a foot bridge that I can walk across or drive the 4 wheeler across. There is also a wooded section. From the North edge of the Apple orchard I have 97% field of fire into the Alfalfa patch. From other positions in the 5 acre area, I also have fields of fire in to the West and South pastures. Field of fire to the East pasture is blocked by woods.
In the first pass, I saw one deer in the Apple orchard .. I mowed in there over the weekend and cut some of the apples on the ground and the critters can smell them, so I expect to see more critters in there over the next week. Deer not on my target list, so I took some stills with the TEO, but have been unable to download them.
On the second pass, I saw a critter, either coon or opossum, based on movement I figured an opossum at about 50yds distance in the apple orchard. I flipped the 14 and ODIN out (not up. Up would expose the rear ends of the nods to the critter and those are lite up, so do not want to do that. By flipping out, the rear ends still point to my rear and I can shoulder, aim and fire the carbine without touching the NODs. So given the distance estimate, I aimed dead center and the critter did not move further.

The hit was in the back of the neck.

When I fired, I heard a yote to the NW howl, but moving in the direction got no sighting. I did a third pass and saw a rat, but I don't usually go after rats with the 5.56, I save them for the .22LR.

Results/Summary: Each November, for the past 2 Novembers, since I've been doing "Coop patrol" ... there has been a period in November where the Coons and opossum are thick near the coop. I got 12 in a 2 week period in 2015 and 14 in a 2 week period in 2016. We will see what this year brings. Something about the change of season. The rats and mice also are much more active in November.

I will take the .22LR out tonight.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-10-22
2030-2200
40F
05 MPH SW

Goal: Coop Patrol

Environment: Cool and it will actually get below freezing for 2 nights mid-week, per the forecast ... and the wind is enough to feel cooler still. Wore balaklava, not acclimated yet. The stars were out, sky clear. No Moon.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3) 77gr FM(r), Mk3 35mm 2.5x 640(60).

Activity: Checked along the South bank of the creek, owl that lives in the woods on north bank hooted as per usual. Saw a large hot lump in the West pasture, hoped it was a sleeping cow. Looped around to the north across bridge, looked SW and verified hot lump was sleeping cow. Then entered apple orchard from the West. Saw critter at 50 yards, probable opossum, fired anchored, curly shuffle. Took pic.

Checked out the alfalfa patch, saw some rats, not on the agenda for tonight.
Heading East along our pasture road saw critter in tree at 200yds, probably Coon. Closed quickly moving through shadows near tree line. Got to position about 75yds, able to lean on bale, pushed 2xdigital (net 5x magnification). Shooting up into tree (100 foot hill behind tree for backstop) critter was oriented virtically, head on top rear on bottom, aimed at bottom, hit critter fell out of tree onto ground. Saw two pack rats while moving to spot where coon landed. Crossed fence into Turtle creek (still our land) took pic.

Summary/Results: Looks like we are moving towards the busy time. I kept the Mk3 on 2x about half the time, trying to get used to that if I upgrade the 35mm lens to 60mm ... 2x digital times the 2.5 optical is 5x net and that is a LOT of magnification at night. For long range scanning it is great, but for coop patrol even 2.5x is almost too much. Life is full of trade-offs.

CBDR

Sergeant
Mar 4, 2017
Jacksonville FL.
Wig, if my memory serves me correctly. A Field of view is greater with a 35 mm lens and a 60 mm is more zoom. Is that correct or do I have it backwards?
I find my Zeus 5 x 20 x 75 more and more challenging to find the target based on sound (hogs moving in the muck). Kind of like looking through a drinking straw. FOV is becoming an issue. By the time I find the heat signature precious time slips into the hogs advantage. Next thing is I can hear them but they are no longer in line of sight.
Chris

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
A Field of view is greater with a 35 mm lens and a 60 mm is more zoom. Is that correct or do I have it backwards?
Generally a longer focal length lens has more magnification (zoom) and less field of view FOV. So a shorter focal length lens has less magnification and more FOV.

==

Yes, I sold my 4x Zeus Pro 100 because it had too much magnification ... I was swinging the gun around looking for yotes I could hear and almost touch ... but not see ... by the time I found them (this happened twice) they were ass towards me heading away ...

CBDR

Sergeant
Mar 4, 2017
Jacksonville FL.
Thanks. Took a large hog this past Friday night at 23:30 in a remote section of the Okefenokee. 85 yd shot. The Zeus was a great first thermal for me. She will be shifting to a secondary role here shortly, a hand held spotter. I have been pouring over the specs on so many thermals its making me tired. And yes then it always comes back to wants and needs. Sure would like that MK3 IR Hunter but the price of the price of the Pulsar XP38 trail is a lot easier pill to swallow.

Keep the coop safe
Thanks

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-10-27
2115-2315
40F
20 MPG NW

Goals: Acclimatization walk

Environment: Forecast said it was going down to 30F tonight, so I wanted to go out and do some acclimatization. We are in the new moon now, but it was cloudy so only some fuzz up there, but it did provide more than enough light for the 14. The wind was hitting 25 MPH in gusts up on the high ground. However, when down in the low ground behind a tree line there was hardly any wind.
I wore sweater over tee shirt and kryptek wet suit top over the sweater. The kryptek over 2 layers) I only had one sweater underneath tonight) works down to -20F in my experience. The setup I had on tonight is good down to 10F - but that is once I am acclimated. I also had the Balaklava.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3) 77gr FM(r), TEO MK3 35mm 2.5x 640(60). Helmet with PVS-14, ODIN 17mm 1x 320(30). Pack with water bladder.

Activity: I was on foot tonight. If you will get acclimated, better to walk than to ride. It is the respiratory system that mostly needs to get acclimated from a physical perspective. If you a wearing the right clothes then any perception of being "cold" is just a mental problem to be overcome.

So went out and right away saw a critter at 35 yds across the creek but could not tell what it was too much vegetation. So I circled around the house and approached the area from a different direction. Eventually I came upon a small deer, the same one I think I've been seeing around the house for several weeks now. It was bedded down, I got within 10 yds of it. It alerted but did not get up. I turned around and moved directly away slowly. It did not move. I consider it a victory, when I can get that close AND successfully move away without spooking a deer.
I completed the circuit of the 5 acre human area without seeing any critters other than rats.

Then crossed the fence, crossed turtle creek and headed up signal hill to the East. Signal hill is 1290 feet above sea level, the second highest point on our land. Up there the wind was howling. There is one tree up there it is about 18 inches around and I put it between me and the wind and grabbed a drink of water. The rise up to the top of the hill is about 60 feet but is is over a fairly short distance so it is steep enough to wind you even when you are acclimated. I could see neighbors cows to the South at 800yds with the ODIN and I could see our cows at 400yds to the North. Our cows were smart, they were down behind a treeline about 150yds across very protected from the wind. The neighbors cows were on the NW face of a hill standing and laying down ... that did not seem smart.

I then continued East down the East slope of signal hill, boy what a difference getting on the downwind side of the hill made. Continuing East to a treeline, I saw a critter, probable Coon in the treeline. It detected me, the fuzzy sliver of a moon was behind me, so I was sort of silhouetted. The coon went up a tree. I turned off the NODs and flipped up and then powered up the Mk3. I then scanned the two evergreens in front of me but could not see any critter in those trees. I moved laterally and then I saw two black lumps in the second tree. One black lump was above the other black lump. This meant there was a branch between the two black lumps and that the upper black lump was the head and the lower black lump was the rump. About this time a rat scurried around on the tree nearest me and I had to wait until it went away. The Coon was in the second tree which was behind the first tree. So I was looking thru small gaps in the evergreen vegetation of both of these trees and seeing the head and rump of the coon behind a branch in the second tree. And again, I could not "see" the head or rump. I just saw black lumps. But I knew they were the coon. So I aimed dead center at the branch (branches make great shrapnel) and fired and the coon fell out of the tree hit the ground and did the curly shuffle. I verified it was a coon with the white light. I then powered down the Mk3 and powered up the NODs and resumed my journey.

I had to approach within 200ds of our cows to be able to cross the pond dam, but I did that without being detected. After crossing the pond dam I continued up to the top of hill 1309. I had been able to continue to observe the neighbor cows 800yds to the south during almost the entire journey after leaving the top of signal hill. From the top of 1309 I did not see any additional critters though I could still see the neighbor cows to the south. The wind was high again upon the hill. Next I walked about 3/8 of a mile along the West face of a ridge towards our main ford. I was walking into the wind. I had the balaklava over my nose. The ODIN did fog up a little, but not enough to be a problem. AS usual, early in the season, I did not use the FOGTECH. I relearn each year that I need to use it !
It seemed like it took forever to cross this part of the pasture into the wind. The grass was still hill enough to imped movement. I had to "high step" a little to keep from stumbling, but that is normal. When I finally reached the NW facing tree line on the other side of this pasture, I was on lower ground and behind a 150yd tree line and there was almost no wind. I took another pause for a drink. Then it was time to cross the creek.
First I had to descend the South bank to reach the creek, for me heading downhill is more treacherous than heading up hill, so I walked slowly taking small steps. I saw another rat, but kept moving. The thermal on my head made it easy to see the water in the creek. The PVS-14 made it easy to see the rocks, and holes in the ground.
Once in the creek again I used the thermal to avoid steeping in pools of water and used the 14 to judge which rocks to use as my bridge to cross the creek. Though there is water in the creek it is not running hard at this spot and I was able to cross without getting anything other than the soles of my boots wet.
Then I ascended the north bank, that wasn't too tough, though I did bump into a big root that was hidden in the shadows. Once up the bank I spotted 2 critters in front of me. I could not tell what they were, they were obscured by tall grass. I was still in the woods, about 50yds from the nearest edge of the woods. I flipped out the NODs and fired up the MK3. With the MK3 I was able to tell they were rabbits! I covered up the Mk3, but left it on. I flipped down the NODs and was able to move laterally so as not to spook the rabbits. They were using rabbit (still) defense anyway. I think they did detect me. The lack of wind in the woods meant they could hear me crunching on some of the branches and leaves. Eventually I got out of the woods and continued West on the buggy trail. I had to cross another (one of our) fence(s). To cross a fence, I flip the carbine over my shoulder onto my back. That way the carbine won't bump into or get caught in the fence while I am crossing. Depending on the situation I will hold on to a fence post while I cross. But I got across and then reslung the carbine onto my chest and continued moving West. I was now near a neighbors land. As I approached their house (moving along our mutual fence line) I heard a noise. And then I saw a canine (they have 2 malmutes) heading away from the house. I was downwind in strong wind and hard to detect. The canine went behind a bale relative to the house. I could still see it fine. I thought it was a yote, but it got low behind that bale and looked awfully small for a yote, Later I figured out it had been detected by something at the house and chased off and it was hiding behind the bale to see what would happen. I powered off and flipped up the NODs and recalibrated the Mk3 (which was already on). I went up to 2x digital and so had 5x net magnification. I stayed still and kept the cross hairs on the yote. It was about 50yds. Eventually it got up and headed East. I continued to track it in my cross hairs until it disappeared in some lower ground. I continued to scan about, but it had headed down to the creek and I could see it no more. I continued on my journey to the West. Eventually reaching the West side of our alfalfa patch. I crossed another fence and then headed south crossing the creek again and reaching the road. I needed to take the trashcan back to the house to I rolled it the 125 yds from the road back to the house. I saw no further critters. The journey was over. I traveled about 2 miles in 2 hours. But I did stop a number of times, so I was really moving about 1.5 to 2 miles per hour when I was moving.

Stock pic of the basic kit I was wearing tonight, except the Kryptek wet suit top is not shown and I did not have the radio tonight.

Pesekcw

Somewhat Confused
Jul 25, 2017
TX
This is such a great read, I went to school in Lubbock, the wind gets brutal up there on the cap rock. Stay warm and give’m hell

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-10-31
20F
0300-0330
03 MPH SW

Environment: Cool and partly cloudly, no wind.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3), 77gr FM(r), Mk3 35mm, 2.5x, 640(60)

Activity: While patrol around coop, saw a coon moving along the alfalfa patch fence at about 100yds. Used the verticle fluid aiming technique for the first shot. Coon ran 45 degree angle towards me and towards the creek and got into a bush. Second shot. Coon did not move. Third shot, I could see jerking and then the Coon appeared to fall into the creek. Second and 3rd shots about 90yds.

This morning I went out and took pics.

It looks like one hit was a grazing hit on the right rear leg ... and the second hit looks like it removed the left front leg. So I am guessing the 3rd shot was the front leg shot and that either the 1st or 2nd shot was the right rear grazing hit.

Coon's sometimes run hard and fast even when hit. I've seen several that I hit that ran 50yds before they expired (I thought I missed until I found them the next morning). So it could've been the first hit that was grazing that caused the coon to halt in the bush and "recover".

Summary: This coon was about 40yds from the coop and coons will destroy the entire population of a coop if they can. It has happened within a mile of me in the past 2 months. They rip the heads off and leave the rest. It is a mess.
I'm averaging 1 coon or opossum per night, which is typical of this time of year. I would expect this to continue through November. I've also finally setup the .22LR so I can start getting the rats and mice.

Last edited:

Oleshep

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
2017-10-31
20F
0300-0330
03 MPH SW

Environment: Cool and partly cloudly, no wind.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3), 77gr FM(r), Mk3 35mm, 2.5x, 640(60)

Activity: While patrol around coop, saw a coon moving along the alfalfa patch fence at about 100yds. Used the verticle fluid aiming technique for the first shot. Coon ran 45 degree angle towards me and towards the creek and got into a bush. Second shot. Coon did not move. Third shot, I could see jerking and then the Coon appeared to fall into the creek. Second and 3rd shots about 90yds.
Please describe "Used the verticle fluid aiming technique"?

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
haha - will do !

==

Start with the cross hairs (or ir-laser) below the aiming point, move the crosshairs up to the aiming point and let the cross hairs rise just over the aiming point and then drop back down then squeeze the trigger. This "hovers" the cross hairs near the aiming point for several split seconds before the trigger is pulled.

This is used for standing unsupported shooting for critters that have not detected you and are not moving much.

==
Another technique is "aim with the center of the wobble". With this one you aim at the aiming point and observe the wobble and keep the center of the wobble at the aiming point and trying to time your squeeze at the point when the cross hair (or ir-laser) crossing the aiming point.

==

Also note the "verticle fluid aiming technique" can also be done as the "horiontal fluid aiming technique" when you move in from the side.

Oleshep

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
haha - will do !

==

Start with the cross hairs (or ir-laser) below the aiming point, move the crosshairs up to the aiming point and let the cross hairs rise just over the aiming point and then drop back down then squeeze the trigger. This "hovers" the cross hairs near the aiming point for several split seconds before the trigger is pulled.

This is used for standing unsupported shooting for critters that have not detected you and are not moving much.

==
Another technique is "aim with the center of the wobble". With this one you aim at the aiming point and observe the wobble and keep the center of the wobble at the aiming point and trying to time your squeeze at the point when the cross hair (or ir-laser) crossing the aiming point.

==

Also note the "verticle fluid aiming technique" can also be done as the "horiontal fluid aiming technique" when you move in from the side.
Ahh.. too funny.. i thought you had some special Night Vision aiming technique.. :) I guess from all the HP off hand I have shot I just use the "center of wobble" technique.. :)

Thank you for taking the time to do your write ups. I find them both entertaining and informative.. :)

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS

2017-11-01
2030-2200
35F
0 MPH SSW

Environment: No wind. Clouds, but higher and thinner than last couple of nights, so the moon is burning through more ... we are close to full moon now ... so too much moon and no wind = not ideal conditions for stalking. Have to try to stay more in the shadows. Also a lot of leaves on the ground in some places, so have to move more slowly.

Equipment: .22LR with Eley subsonic hollow points, ODIN 1x 17mm 320(30) (with reticle) on rifle, AAC-Mini on front. Nightcap with PVS-14 and PAS-29 clipped on.

Activity: Headed out and saw rat in woodshed, but it ran inside a steel pipe before I could get a shot at it. This running into steel pipes defense is tough to beat ... all the rats in town are trying it these days !! ODIN died, so had to change batteries. I need to tether the battery cap, but changing this one c123 is pretty easy, the cap is easy to access and easy to turn. Then headed along the South side of creek until reaching the foot bridge, crossed over into the apple orchard. No critters. Headed to the NE corner of the apple orchard where I can observe the entire 18 acre alfalfa patch. No critters there either ! I did hear dog barking way to the north. Headed into the woods on the north side of the creek, but still inside the fence they separates the pasture area from the human area. No critters there either. Had to change the PAS-29 battery, it is even easier to change. In current temps these batteries last close to an hour. When it gets colder their run time drops to minimum of 30m.
Returned to the apple orchard then along fence line of west pasture, not even any cows seen over there. Continued up the fence line to the south ... walking up a hill. Heard several yotes yipping on the East side of ridge line 400yds to my east, so they were 600+ yds away. I was looking for rats in this area. We have several dirt piles still here from the construction and the rats love those. I saw one but it ran in its hole. Then on the corner post I saw a hot spot but waited for it to move. It ran into the pipe that ran between the two corner posts - another steel pipe maneuver !!! Ah, but then this rat stuck its head out of the other end of the pipe and I fired. The shot hit a thumb nail to the left ... the downside of using the PVS-14 mount for the ODIN is that it does wobble. I adjusted it so that the last 10 rd group I fired when zeroing had only 1 round affected by the mount wobble (which throws the rounds left 1 inch at 25yds). But the rat stuck its head out again to see what was up and this time I saw splatters of material depart from the rat when it got hit. These hollow points cause virtual explosions for these small critters when they get a solid hit. So the steel pipe defense was defeated for once, by the way too curious rat.
Continued North along Turtle creek until in merged with our main creek. Then headed over behind vehicle building, no rats seen there! Hard to believe, I've gotten a zillion back there. Then looped around the green house, none there either ... Either they hear me coming or they are enjoying the warmth of their holes tonight. Then drug the trash can down to the road (it is trash night). Came back along the creek, there is a wood line there so more shadows. Still no critters. finished by going around the coop and woodshed again and then back to the house.

Summary/Results: The Crye Precision worked fine. I usually wind up loaning it out. I've used it before but not with the PAS-29 on the 14, but it worked. Battery changes were not a problem. The Laser-max ir-laser pressure pad has died. I have to decide whether to replace it or upgrade the laser. This one has worked for 3 years and the ir-laser still works but the pressure pad is dead. Same is true for my other laser max ir-laser pressure pad dead. The coti works well at these short distances ... the auto-brightness adjustment is ok when on foot, but I'm still not used to it when rolling on the 4-wheeler (which I was not doing tonight). I have to flip up to shoulder the rifle and I don't want to point viz light at the critters so have to power down the 14 as well. I left the COTI on. The ODIN itself works fine, just this mount is not designed to be mount for a sight with a reticle, it is designed to be a mount for a 14 behind a reflex sight where a little wobble on the 14 does not affect the results. I'm looking at getting PRI M69 mount which is designed to hold an AIMPOINT but cant hold a 14 as well and so it will hold my ODIN, since the housing is a 14 housing. But life is full if trade-offs the PRI M-69 is not free. But I take my "ratting" seriously and need a solid mount. It is ironic that I miss the old Armasight Q-14 mod 0 more than I thought I would. It had a solid mount and was great on the .22LR. The ODIN can be its replacement in the weapon sight role but needs a solid mount. I sold the Q-14 because at that time I could find a way to mount it beside the 14. The ODIN fills that role also and other than using the ODIN on the .22LR sometimes, the ODIN is usually on my head.

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186681

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-11-02
0300-0330
40F
0 MPH SW

Environment: No Wind, No moon (set already) Medium Mist, terrain only visible out to about 80yds (it depends a little on the terrain ... but trees only visible out to about 80yds.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3) 77gr FM(r), Mk3 35mm 2.5x 640(60), 1 leg shooting stick.

Activity: For some reason I took the 1 legged primos shooting stick. Scanned all about, saw rat in the woodshed, but I was not after it with the 5.56. Eventually I saw some hot spots to West. I moved about 10yds closer very slowly into an area of shadows. The hot spots were fading in and out of view, due to tall grass I figured. Eventually I was able to see three critters. I used digital zoom to 2x and continued to watch them fading in and out, sometimes they would all be invisible, sometimes all visible, sometimes 1-2 visible only etc. I then realized they were passing behind some trees and coming out from behind some trees. I couldn't see the trees except when they were sticking out from behind them as then I could see grey blobs in front of their black bodies (I was on black hot). So given that they were behind trees in the West pasture that put them at about 130yds. My double zero is 50/160, so I need to hold down about an inch at 130yds So I cranked to 4x and waited for a broadside and eventually got one, though I had to switch my aim around as they continued to move behind and out from behind the trees. I finally had the reticle aimed at one broadside, trying to aim at the shoulder and fired and got DRT, curley shuffle. One of the three disappeared (probably ran South which put it in low ground relative to me. The other ran North and I tried to track it has it ran behind and out from behind tree after tree towards a creek. I could not get a good shot and eventually it disappeared in low ground near the creek.

Summary/Activity: Not sure why I took the shooting stick, but it turned out I used it. I have seen coons and skunks and opossum in that area before, but not this season. Having to range the distance based on seeing critter pass behind trees you can't see (distance to which is prior knowledge) was a first for me. Mist is tough, "sea of grey" ... meaning you can see the critters fine, but not the terrain, so clues as to the distance are needed and this time I got lucky and had some clues. If these coons had been in the open I would've had to range with the reticle and though that should've been possible, it would've taken longer as I would've had to wait for a broadside or two just to range. The Mk3 reticle I use the TCR has 18 inch segment near the center and that would be useful though these Coons might have been up to 24 inches.

Went out this morning and took pics ...

View from the direction the shot was made showing the trees in this area ...

The hit was in the shoulder which I was aiming for ... but it is a but high ... probably still wobble ... either that or bad aiming ...

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-11-04
2000-2100
40F
03 MPG S

Environment: Cloudy, no moon (rising later). Almost no wind.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3), 77gr FM(r), mk3 35mm 2.5x 640(60), primos 1-leg trigger stick

Activity: Busy night out there.
Saw lone deer move thru apple orchard. While in the apple orchard I could only see tiny fragments of the critter but based on size and speed and steadiness of movement decided it was most likely a deer. This was about 90yds from my posn on the north wall of our green house in some shadows.
Saw two rats in the 'yard' and cattle in both south and west pastures.
There was a coon up in a tree at 100yds. I practiced ranging on the coon. If the coon, less tail was 24 inches, then it was very close to 100yds. This was a HIGH tree, maybe even 80 foot and the coon was near the top. I watched him on and off for most of the hour eating and having a blast. I didn't want to shoot up at that angle with 5.56 ... some directions I know are clear, but I'm not sure about that one.
Saw a critter either coon or opossum in the woods to the NE along the creek, that one was within 100yds of the coop but about 150yds from me. I slowly redeployed into some shadows about 100yds from this coon. I could still see the coon in the tree to the SW at 150yds now. Meanwhile the deer was long gone having crossed the creek and passed within 25yds of me without detecting me. I got some stills with the thermal but I am unable to download them. :(
So I continued watching the critter in the woods, he kept passing behind and out from behind trees and the grass was taller back there and often I could only see a few specs of him.
Eventually he made his way to the north where the vegetation thined out and at about 90yds I got a broadside holding down just a little. Fired one rd DRT, only a very brief twitch from this one.
Saw another big rat near one of our buildings but it was within inches of the building and on a concrete wing wall about 70yds away and I didn't want to go for it. If I'd had the .22lr I would've.
I decided to head in for a while to say hi to wife and hope the coon in the tree doesn't leave before I get back out there.

==

2200-2300
Headed back out and took the M930T with 6 rounds of bird shot as well as the 5.56(10.3). No trigger stick this time.

First noted that the coon was in a different tree within about 25yds of the coop. Crossed the creek and headed to the first critter lying on the ground. It was an opossum. The hit was on the back with a heavy exit wound. This was a rather small opossum. Moved it out to the alfalfa patch for the turkey buzzards.

Then headed back for the Coon. With the 5.56 thermal I could see the coon fairly high up in the tree. This was a smaller tree, only about 50 feet high and the coon was about 40 feet up. I memorized the lay of the branches thru the thermal and then switched to the shotgun and aimed and fired three rounds. This was about an 80 degree angle from the horizontal. The coon started moving after the third round. I put the shotgun down and shouldered the thermal. The coon was coming down streaming blood onto the branches. Once he dropped to the ground I gave him a mercy shot and he did a curly shuffle. This was a big one.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Magnetospeed V3 mounted on Omega mounted on 6.5G(18), ready for first testing

I was worried that it wouldn't mount on tight, but it has enough adjustments that it mounts tight. It also has a number of different sized spacers so could can control the vertical distance between the "bayonet" and the bullet path precisely, by adding or removing spacers. And there is a thermal rubber spacer that protects the mounting strap from the heat of the suppressor.

One unusual aspect is that either of the cables that connect the bayonet to the electronic recording device wind up with the recording device on or near the ground, when the rifle is mounted on the tripod.

I hoped to try it today, but real life intervened.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Aye, done!

So first test, 5 rds 6.5G Amax 123 hornady load. Average MV 2413, low 2393, hi 2426, SD 12.4

Was holding down 3.5 mils at 50yd NRA target. Got 4 in "X" and 1 on the "X"/"10" cusp, which in Army scoring is a "10" in NRA scoring an "X" ... So 3.5 down hold still works for the 500yd zero stop. This is a lower MV than I had in the AB calculator, so it will help with getting the holds correct farther out.

Distance between center of barrel and center of optic line thru scope is 3 1/16 = 3.0625 and I had 2.75

So those changes will matter! I can now get out to 770yds on my land. So next will try some shots at greater distances and see what happens. And thanks for KSE for tolerating my dumbass questions !!! :)

==
On the ms unit ... when I got out to the field the unit would not power on. So I changed the batts for 1x9v to 2xC123 and it came on fine. The unit had been on 10m maybe yesterday, but I guess the QA department had run it for longer! But that is fine. I got good results first time at bat, so far so good with the ms v3 !!

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
haha well "normal" could be different for some cases ... but I hear you ...

==
In the army I was in "normal" zero was 25 meters ... which with the m16a1 with 12 twist and 55gr was somewhere around a 300 meter double zero.
==
For hunting ... I've been zeroing at 50yds and with most cartridges and carbines/rifles that gives me about a 160-210yd double zero .... so another "normal"
==
But I think what you are saying is adopt 100yd zero for long distance shooting "normal" zero. And getting the msv3 is first step to trying this sort of "normal". But I still have not found a flat place that is 100yds from a safe target spot. So I will have to forego the "flat" idea ... and go with "as close to flat as I can find" :)

==
I'm so hooked on the tripods now I rarely take a prone shot !!! :D

Dec 23, 2008
ohio
youre talking about a battle sight zero.... precision weapons arent the same and shouldnt be treated as such. 100yd zero is easy in every sense of the word. you know where youre zeroed. you can easily know your max point blank range with a ballistic program. theres just no reason to not have a 100yd zero. if your dope at 500yd is 3.5mil. and you dont wanna dial.....hold 3.5mil and be done.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-11-11
1530-1700
40F
03 MPH SE

Goals: Zero 6.5G(18) and try to go to 500yds to check DOPE.

Environment: Misty with light rain. Low clouds, already fairly dark. Barely any breeze from about 160 degrees off the bullet path when at 500yds.

Equipment: 6.5G(18) with Burris 3-15x scr-mil. AMAX123, Hornady Load. Kestrel, LRF, AB on old phone. M190 tripod with 322RC-2.

Activity: Rolled out (on 4-wheeler) to target area and set up the boards and NRA 100yd targets.

Tried to go prone but since we are haying this pasture any more, the cattle aren't getting the grass down low enough. I will have to bring tractor and brush hog out to cut some LOS lanes. Until then, back to the tripod. Fired 2x5rd groups at 100yds off tripod. Fist group had 3 inside the 9 ring and 2 to the right in the 8 ring. I think it was my aiming. Center of group was about an inch low, but again I think it was me aiming. Second group had 3 inside the 10 ring and 2 inside the 9 ring to the right. Center of group was good on elevation.

When to 500yds and fire 5rd group off tripod at IPSC - D steel (600% NATO-E). All 5 hit. Held up 3.7 mils per AB

Summary/Results: I don't think I'm perfect yet, so I won't set the zero stop. Before I went out I did crank down from the previous 500yds zero stop. And did not make any adjustments in the field. At 100yds I put 3/4 inch orange dots on the center of the target for an aiming point (these NRA targets have big black centers)

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-11-12
1500-1630
40F
4 MPH NNW

Goal: Steel 400-600yds

Environment: Overcast and misty, light breeze from NNW.

Equipment: 6.5G(18), Burris xtr2 3-15x scr-mil, omega, harris 6-9, 2xrisers, 123 AMAX hornady load. M190 tripod with 322-rc2 head. LRF and Kestrel.

Activity: Rolled to a spot to be able to see new target down hill on north side of creek. Shooting thru trees along the creek. Ranged the 12x24 (IPSC -D 66% NATO-E) target and got 422-428yds on 3 attempts. Called it 425yds. AB said to hold up 2.8 mils. Plugged in 5 degree down angle, just in case and AB still said to hold 2.8 mils. Threw some dead leaves and grass up in the air and read wind direction NNE by N. Repeated with same result. This would be 30 degrees off the bullet path. AB said to hold 0.9 mils for 10 MPH at 90 degrees off the bullet path. Kestrel said 3.3 MPH wind ... so held 0.3 mils right. Went ahead and cranked 2.8 mils up tough I have not set the zero stop yet. The knob is still sitting on zero mils from when I re-zeroed at 100yds yesterday. First shot was a miss and no dust observed. Realized I should thirded the 0.9 twice not once! Aimed dead center for second shot and got a hit. Repeated and got a hit. Decided the average wind along the bullet path was closer to NNW which corresponded to what I observed from the angle of the wind generator we have at 60 foot up while rolling out. That would be about 0 degrees along the bullet path. But even with my initial estimate I should've held 0.1 right not 0.3. One third for the 30 degree angle and one third for the 3.3 mph reading versus the 10 mph I keep dialed in to the AB. A 0.1 hold would be 1.5 inches and these targets are 12 inches wide. I think the first miss was actually a "wobble" error as even 0.3 is only 4.5 inches. But 2 hits in a row and I move to the next target.

Packed up and rolled East and then south up the side of hill 1309 to a random spot and setup and 3 ranging attempts averaged 525yds. Had to move FP a little to the left to avoid shooting right through a branch in one of the trees along the creek. AB said 4.0 mils up, so cranked that. It was still about NNW along the bullet path to the target so I held dead center and missed high but centered. I could see the dust. Repeated and got same result. Held half way down towards the bottom of the target for third shot and got a hit. Repeated and got a hit.

Results/Summary: Even with 5 degree down angle AB still said to hold 4.0 so it could be that my zero is low. I will not be able to confirm with prone until I can lower the grass enough to get a prone shot and neither the tractor nor the heavy zero turn mower are currently available. The LRF can do inclination but it apparently needs to be setup. When I pushed the relevant buttons it said "SETUP INCLINATION". So I guess I never did that. Some of my thermals have inclination in them and I've generally used those. But this was day shooting, so no thermal.
Well, if I held six inches down when I was hitting at 525yds, that would be about 0.3 mils.

But I do think the magnetospeed and remeasuring the distance between center of bore and center of scope (I forgot to change the scope height after I installed the risers !) has gotten me into the ballpark easily. Zeroing off the tripod introducing some error and not being sure about the inclination introduces some more ... and between those two aspecs we might be 6 inches off at 528yds. But that can be fixed. Both of those issues can be fixed and will get fixed!

I can get to 770yds off the tripod against this target and that is the goal. But that is even farther up the hill, so need to fix the zero and need to get LRF inclination working and then 770yds can be done.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-11-12
1845-1930
30F
05 MPH NW

Goal: Coop patrol. Specicially we configured the metal coop door to auto close at 7pm local and auto open at 6am local. I wanted to watch it close.

Environment: Cooled off fast after sun went down. Went from 40F to 30F in 2 hours!

Equipment: 5.56(10.3) 77gr FM(r), TEO Mk3 35mm, 2.5x 640(60).

Activity: Stood in shadows near barn, I could see the coop door. It is a metal door. This is the chicken door. It can auto close and open on a timer. We finally configured it today and I wanted to watch it close. I'm getting worried about the amount of critters around and don't want to only rely on the electric fence. Some critters could jump over it or even up over the enclosed run and then down into the inner fenced area and then into the coop from there. It would be hard and they might not be able to figure out how to get out. But we got the door to auto-open and close and time to set it up.

So I could scan about to the South up a hill about 200yds West was blocked by a short low ridge, I could only see about 25 yds that way. To the north I could see into the center of our apple orchard. I saw what looked like a small deer in there trying to get some apples off the trees. I thought they all fell off, but this deer wanted some off the tree. Then I thought it sure was a tiny deer. These are not huge apple trees, the lower branches are about waist high. This deer was below those branches. My view was obscured by a zillion dead weeds and saplings along both banks of the creek. The apple orchard is on the other side of the creek. The deer was about 40 yds from me. I heard the coop door closing and watched. It went down halfway and got stuck. There must be an obstruction to clear. Then back to the deer. It started to move East and would soon be out of view. I then saw its profile clearly and realized it was a yote. The 45 degree down angle tail, the size and shape, bingo. I barely had time to get off a shot, but I did and it went down. Then I heard a howl and a second yote came into view, It was moving faster to the NW ... I put some lead on it but then it turned away to the North and headed down into the oxbow. I lost sight of it. I was not fast enough. Did not get the double.

Results/Summary:
I tell my wife all the time, "You never know what you will wind up doing when you go outside around here." And this was another case in point.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-11-14
2100-2130
40F
5 MPH W

Environment: Warm, rainy, misty, same as last several days. Thermal performance terrible. Critters are in a sea of grey.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3), 77gr GM(r), Mk3 35mm, 2.5x, 640(60).

Activity: Saw Coon in tree 100yds from coop, fired .. material emitted from coon and it dropped into the creek bed.

2300-2030

Activity:
Saw Coon/Opossum in apple orchard 25yds from Coop on other side of creek. Fired, critter turned and ran, fired critter down. It was opossum.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-11-19
2130-2230
40F
10 MPH SW

Goal 6.5 at 500yds

Environment: Dark, stars with some overcast. Wind highly variable 5 mph up to 15 mph, avg 10 at 240 off bullet 280 off bullet path.

Equipment: 6.5G(18), 123AMAX, Bushy 1600 arc elite, Kestrel 2500nv, AB on old phone, manfrotto M190, 322rc2, 4 wheeler. IPSC-D (66% NATO-E) steel silhouette. Propoane tank with torch and lighter. Ops Core with ODIN 17mm 1x 320(3) and PVS-14.

Activity: Rolled to target and heated it with the propane. Then rolled to 500yds FP and setup tripod and checked the wind. Held 1.0 mils left. First shot high right. Held 1.2 mils left and a little lower - hit, 3rd could not clearly hear hit, so called it a miss, did not observe splash of dirt. 4th and 5th hits. Took some pics.

Steel at 500yds on 10x

==
Pond at 250yds on 3x

==
Cattle at 1200yds on 6x

==
4-wheeler, propane torch on front, tripod on rear. Helmet on seat, 6.5G(18) on running board.

Results/Summary: As always the thru the lens pics are terrible compared to the real image. Trying to get the 3D angles and eye relief correct while holding the camera and blowing around in the wind is an exercise ... the wind was retarding the image as well, but it was still much better than what you see in the pics.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-11-24
1000-1100
50F
07 MPH W

Goal: 6.5G(18) steel 400-600yds

Environment: Breeze, avg 7 MPH net/net from the West. Sun, basically "hot" ... was down to teeshirt.

Equipment: 6.5G(18), xtr2 3-15x scr-mil, Horn ELD 123, M190 tripod, 322rc2 head. Magnetospeed v3, LRF, kestrel.

Activity:

First ran 5 rds over the ms v3

01 2428
02 2418
03 2432
04 2428
05 2426
max 2432
min 2418
avg 2426
SD 5.1

I think that is the smallest SD I've seen !

Then rolled out to 100yds zeroing spot and set up the tripod. Grass too high to see targets from prone. Spent 20rd zeroing the sh^t out of it ... I had the zero stop set such that I had to hold down 1 mil to zero. The xtr2 are great budget scopes, but resetting the zero stop is not tooless, so I couldn't do it in the field.
When shooting with this setup ... I manage the "wobble" ... the inevitable movement of the reticle around the aiming point ... I note the extent of the wobble and move the center of the wobble on to the aiming point. For three of the last three shots, I was able to quarter the 3/4 inch orange dot I put in the center of the NRA 100yd target and hit inside the (X) ring about a quarter of an inch to the right, so I clicked one click left and called it good. The other two hits straddled the horizontal line on both sides of the bull in the (10) ring. Most of the wobble is left to right and the wind was moving me about, even down in the lower ground where the zeroing spot is.

Then packed up and rolled to the 425 FP and setup.

The kestrel said 4.5 mph 315 degrees off the bullet path. That would've been .25 mil left ... but I am shooting over a creek and I know better ... so I held half a mil ... on elevation AB said up 2.8 but I cranked 1.8 since I was zeroed at 1 mil down.

miss - I could see the dust to the left a few inches, so I shifted to .25 mil I told tell the wind had died to almost nil around me ...
hit
miss - I could hear the wind picking up considerably, so held 1 mil
hit
hit
hit
miss - the wind blew me around and I missed to the right. increased hold to 1.2 with the increasing wind, est. to be spiking to 12 mph ...
hit
hit

... everything made sense ... so rolled up the hill and stopped at a point I thought would be about 600yds ...

Three repetitions of the LRF said 580yds. The kestrel said 4.1 mph at 270 ... the AB said 4.8, so I cranked to 3.8. AB also said 1.3 for 10 mph, so I held 1 mil to start.

hit ... got lucky ...
miss .. to the right by inches ... held 1.25
hit ...
miss ... blew me around missed by inches to the right ... no change to the hold ...
miss ... same result ... hard to control the left to right wobble in the wind ... you really just have to time it right ...
hit ... it's a crap shoot, but sometimes you get lucky ...
miss ... not changing the hold, just getting blown around ...
hit ...
hit ... my luck held strong for the last two ... that and the wind was steadier ...

pic from a different day at 680 FP ... but same hill, same target ...

Summary/Results:

So one thing I'm doing is, I was getting stove pipes, so I readjusted the gas block and after these rounds I'm up to 105 rds thru the 6.5G(18) will no issues. Evidence mounting that gas block needing adjustment was the issue.

==
Also with the wind blowing the shooter around, this is the limitation of shooting off the tripod ... not what the wind does to the bullet, but what it does to the shooter.
I have been practicing the carabiner thingy on the belt loop with the sling through it and twisted around the tripod in the house ... but haven't used that in the field yet ... maybe it will help a little. So need to try that.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
PR-Infrared (where I got my UTC-x) got approval to show their price of $11,900 for new FLIR T-75s ...

https://pr-infrared.com/product/flir-thermosight-t75-advanced-thermal-sight/#

Depending on who you talk to these can support magnification on the day scope of 12x up to 16x ... but either way ... this is definitely a long distance thermal clipon.

People who have looked through both, say the UTC-x is a clearer image, but if the $11,900 price had been around when I got the UTC, it would;ve been a lot tougher choice.

Do I need a T-75 as a backup !!?? :D

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
RAPTAR won't work on badger mount behind UTC ... UTC is too high.

So, trying 3 o'clock.

Here is my zeroing rig.

Steps:

1 - Zero day scope
2 - co-witness day scope to vis laser on the RAPTAR in the house (this gets the rough zero)
3 - co-witness day scope with ir-laser on the RAPTAR outside (using 14 to look thru the day scope) as far away as possible.
4 - Test distances for known distance objects

Actually the above process was faster and easier than I expected. At first I though the distances were a little short, then I realized the RAPTAR was set to meters :D
The distances are fine.

So next I will try it in the field with the UTC on there!

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Well, went out yesterday to try RAPTAR in the field and got "error 1" message for all ranging attempts.
Came back to the house and checked with the viz laser and it was off 1 mil right and 3 mils low.
I've been told that running it on the front rail does work and I guess I am proving that!
Getting a scope ring mount that will work with the UTC will be a custom job and will take a month or so at the machine shop (they are usually several weeks behind). In the mean time, I can try it at night by rezeroing each time I go out, it isn't that hard.

This is not a RAPTAR issue, this is a mounting issue.
The UTC clipon is too high. The apertures of the RAPTAR do not clear the UTC when mounted with the Badger RAPTAR mounting system. Not even close. So will have to make a new Badger like system that is half inch to 1 inch higher. Next challenge is to try to figure out how much higher. But 1 inch would do it for sure.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
I tried that first :) ...

The Badger RAPTAR mounting rail LOOKs like a pic rail, but it is not. It is its own critter.

The Badger scope top mount for the RAPTAR has little "bumps" on the sides of it. These bumps help push up against the 45 degree down angle undersides of the RAPTAR and keep it from rattling around up there.

RAPTAR comes with a slide on pic rail riser which interfaces with the pic rail on the underside of this riser and interfaces with the RAPTAR on the topside of this riser. But that will not slip on to the badger RAPTAR mount because it cannot slide over the bumps.

I could machine off the bumps.

But I think I will be better off getting a custom (higher) mount. I can then either sell the badger mount or keep it to use with the PVS-30 I have on my wish list.

==
The badger RAPTAR mount was not designed to work with high offset clipons like the UTC (look at the pic including the thermal clipon above). That is the issue. None of the parts are "wrong" they just are not designed to work with the clipon I am using. I need a mount that is designed to work with higher clipons.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-12-06
2030-2130
20F
15 MPH NW

Goal: Check lasers

Environment: Cool and windy from the NW with gusts to 20 mph. Stars visible. Moon began to rise near the end of the session.

Equipment: Bump helmet, PVS-14, PAS-29 10mm 1x 320(30), ODIN 17mm 1x 320(30), B850 ir-illuminator, 3 Lumen RGBW viz light. From top to bottom:
.22lr, Laser Max ir-laser, eley 40gr hp subsonic
5.56(10.5), PAQ-4C ir-laser, FM(r) 77gr
5.56(10.3), CQBL-1 ir-laser, FM(r) 77gr

Activity:

Set up three targets on the target board one above the other, 50yd NRA paper targets. All firing from 50yd FP, off tripod using HOG saddle to hold the guns.

5.56(10.5) up first. I was able to co-witness the ir-laser to the already zeroed holosun P515 reflex sight last night. Three round group, 2 inches, 1 in 10, 9 and 8. I aimed by lining up laser to the right and moving in from the right, I could use the verticle string of targets to line up. But I was pulling the trigger a little too early to judge from the results. But this laser was hitting within tolerance. I aimed the laser at objects between 50 and 100yds away and the laser looked much better at distance. It had bloomed up a bit at 50yds but at 100-200yds it was a tiny dot. I did use the ir-illuminator to try to suppress the bloom. The carbine is double zeroed at 50/160 with maximum verticle offset 1.7 inches high at 120yds. And now so is the laser.

5.56(10.3) up second. I had removed the Trijicon mk3 to send it in for 60mm upgrade. This thre round group was off the paper. I will need to mount the Burris 536 scope on it, zero and co-witness the laser and try again. Looked at the laser from a distance it was not as tight a beam as the PAQ-4C, but I think it was brighter.

.22LR(16) up third. Three round group 4 inches to the right, 2 inch group. Checked the laser at distance, it was actually tiny. I'm using a custom kydex cover on this laser and that really helps supress the bloom. Also, this laser was the smallest on the target. Crazy that the lowest cost laser of the three has the smallest beam over all (of these three anyway, I have three others).

Results/Summary: Well only the PAQ-4C is within tolerance, that's because I was able to co-witness it last night. The others haven't had zero checked in a year. I will zero the Burris AR-536 scope on the 5.56(10.3) and then co-witness the CQBL to the scope. Then will move the scope to the .22lr (where it will stay). While the Mk3 is out, I'll be practicing up with the lasers.

I've never used exactly this setup on the helmet with the ODIN on the left eye and the 14/PAS-29 on the right eye, but it worked. I'm not used to nucing the ODIN with my left hand and that will take some more practice. Otherwise, everything worked fine.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
I feel soooo stoooo pid ...

So a few posts above ^^ I report that the RAPTAR will not work on the 12 o'clock behind the UTC because the UTC is too high.

Well today I was looking at RAPTAR mount pics on the internet and found this pic ...

And I realized that was a UTC up there !!!

And I said to myself ,"If it works for that guy it might work for me!"

==

So I just tried it ... the viz laser worked and the LRF worked. Problem solved. No custom solution needed. So, stoo pid !!!

==
In the old Ken Burns movie about the Civil War, there is a great story.

McClellan has just landed on the York Peninsula in 1862 and is advancing towards Richmond. He is riding out ahead of his Army with some staff officers checking out the route. They come to a creek. McClellan halts and asks, "I wonder how deep that creek is?" One of the staff officers rides his horse out into the creek. The water comes up the to belly of the horse and the staff officer hollers out "About this deep General !!"

Had I been McClellan - I would've felt Stooo pid ... and well that's exactly how I feel now. I should have just TRIED IT. Instead of "Admiring the problem that wasn't" :D

==
BTW, the staff officer in question was one "George A. Custer" ... and this particular act might have been the smartest thing GAC ever did. But it is still a useful lesson. Don't spend your time wondering about sh^t that is very easy for you to just TRY AND SEE.

:)

==
In my case, while the top of the objective bell of the clipon is clearly much higher than the centers of apertures of the RAPTAR, the sides of the bell taper off quickly enough that the lasers can still see forward. And now I have verified that by testing.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-12-10
1830-1900
40F
5 MPH NW

Goal: Check RAPTAR

Environment: clear, stars, no moon, wind from NW.

Equipment: 5.56(18), L&S 3-18x H58, PVS-14 mounted on rear of scope, later, UTC-x mounted in front. Manfrotto m055 tripod with 322RC-2 head.

The pic shows all the gear but the UTC was not mounted during the zeroing process.

Activity:

STEP01 - Zero ir-laser to the reticle.
I had already zeroed the day scope at 100yds. Badger finally sent me the correct screws to mount the RAPTAR mount to the scope rings, so I did that and mounted the RAPTAR, testing in the house revealed the lasers could all see past the bell of the UTC. In the RAPTAR the three lasers, the red viz, the ir-pointer and the LRF laser all shine thru the same aperture. Though from slightly different positions.
So I had zeroed the xiz laser to the reticle in the house. That gets it close enough that when you go outside and try to zero the ir-laser at longer distance you can see it in the FOV of the scope.
When mounted at 12 o'clock on top of the scope, the adjustments just happen to work just like most day scopes. Counter clock wise on the knob on the top of the RAPTAR is "up" CW is down. For the knob on the side, turning the top of the knob towards you is right and top of the knob away is left. So this is easy to remember! So, I powered on the 14. I pointed the reticle at a mineral feeder I knew to be 415yds away and cranked the magnification all the way up to 18x. I set the selector switch on the RAPTAR to IR-laser, which is one click CCW from off. Then adjusted the ir-laser on to the center of the reticle on the mineral feeder. I Had attached the pressure switch, so I was using that to turn the laser on/off. Then I hit the range button and read 378 and did a little arithmetic and got 415 yds ! Further more, I could SEE the distance on the back of the display with my left eye, without taking my right eye off the reticle on the target. I had not expected that !!!.
I then checked a tree at 74 meters and another tree at 91 meters.

STEP02 - Test with the thermal clipon
Then I removed the 14 assembly from the back of the day scope.
And I mounted the UTC-x to the front. I use larue rail clips, so I can feel the top to start the
I re-lased the mineral feeder. This time, my eye was a little closer to the back of the scope and I could not quite see over the top of the turrets. I rechecked the two trees and they matched. So I was lasing targets with the RAPTAR with the UTC clipped on giving me 18x with the H58 reticle. This was the goal !

I need to take it out to the pasture at our highest point, were I can lase a known object at 770yds

Results/Summary: L&S says they will replace the M5B2 turrets I have for the M5C2 turrets for $220. The C2 turrets are lower, I bet I'll be able to see over them. I might do that upgrade. I was thinking about it anyway since I do not like the B2 elevation turret.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-12-16
2200-2230
40F
10 MPH S

Environment: Breeze from South, overcast, no moon.

Equipment: 5.56(10.5) PAQ-4C, 77gr FM(r) Spartan-3, Helmet PVS-14, PAS-29

Activity: Fired up NODs in garage before I went out the door. I don't always do that. Saw opossum at 25yds immediately. Aimed laser, saw eyes, fired, drt. The spot was right under the normal, guinea tree, but we have encouraged the guineas to stay in the barn for the rest of the winter, so they are fine. The opossum was 35yds from the coop.

Saw the cattle out in the alfalfa patch bedded down.

Heard some yotes to the East within a mile, but at least 600yds on the other side of our Signal Hill.

Summary/Results: During "banzai" season, from last week of Oct thru mid-Nov this year, I think the count was 14 coons and opossum and 1 yote, all within 100yds of the coon, most within 50yds, some within 25yds. I think I've only gotten 2 since then and then this one tonight. I did see a yote within 100yds on Thursday night, but only had the ODIN with me. I ran it off, but could not shoot it with no weapon.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
I like the RAPTAR so much, I got two baby brother radiae. One for my shooting buddy and a backup for me.

Though the RAPTAR has an ir-laser and the Radius has a viz laser, I zeroed the Radius to the scope reticle using the same process I used for the RAPTAR.

01 - Mount Radius on the 12 o'clock mount over the scope
02 - Activate vis laser in the house.
03 - Co-witness to the scope reticle.
04 - Mount the 14 scope adapter and the PVS-14 on rear of scope.
05 - Move everything out side and setup.
06 - Turn on the 14
07 - Aim at mineral feeder 415 yds away.
08 - co-witness the laser to the scope reticle.
09 - Check the distance = 416yds
10 - Check distance to fence post = 77yds (check)
11 - Check distance to telephone pole = 106yds (check)

It works!

And just like with the RAPTAR, with my eye still on the target, I can see the distance with my other eye without moving.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
2017-12-19
2200-2230
30F
10 MPH S

Goal: Coop check

Environment: Stars, clear, breeze, no moon.

Equipment: Equipment: 5.56(10.5) PAQ-4C, 77gr FM(r) Spartan-3, Helmet PVS-14, PAS-29 (same as 2 posts above)

Activity: Went out, saw critter (opossum or Coon smallish) in tree within 10 yds of coop. Aimed laser fired, this was 45yd shot I am zeroed at 50yds. Critter feel out of tree and onto creek bank. I did not head down to get it last night.
Here is pic this morning

Last edited:

Pesekcw

Somewhat Confused
Jul 25, 2017
TX
Could you explain one day how you got the 14 to work behind a scope? I’ve been trying to get that right for a long while now, can’t seem to make it work

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Haha, sure.

Well before I got the Night Optics adapter ...
http://www.nightoptics.com/product/NM-DN3.htm

I had the 14 on my helmet and I would try to look thru the day scope and it took something called "patience" to get various co-witnessing tasks done.

But with the night optics, I just mount the adapter on to the back of the scope and the mount the 14 into the adapter. Far less patience required !

Does that answer the question??

Pesekcw

Somewhat Confused
Jul 25, 2017
TX
Haha, sure.

Well before I got the Night Optics adapter ...
http://www.nightoptics.com/product/NM-DN3.htm

I had the 14 on my helmet and I would try to look thru the day scope and it took something called "patience" to get various co-witnessing tasks done.

But with the night optics, I just mount the adapter on to the back of the scope and the mount the 14 into the adapter. Far less patience required !

Does that answer the question??
Answers itnperfectly, thank you sir

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Preparing to shoot longer distances at near by ranch. The regular long distance stage is 500yds to 1400yds ... the ELR stage is 1200yds to 2400yds. And while the official comps are day time, shooting buddy I will plan on shooting these stages either the night before or the night after the official comps. For the ELR stage, the targets get moved around prior to every comp. Also, the shooting position is elevated and the targets are "randomly placed" throughout a valley, between 1200 and 2400. So there will be some decent down angles in the ELR stage..
So, I am hunting for night usable cant and angle indicators and realizing there almost aren't any!! Some thermal clipons (digital optics) have all three measurements I'd be interested in covered. Compass heading, pitching of the rifle fore and aft and "cant" of the rifle left to right. But non-digital optics like the PVS-30 do not have such. So an independent solution is indicated.
Accuracy 1st has a cant indicator which can take a tritium vial, but the tritium vial acquisition process is undefined.
But even if that can be solved it is still a one off solution. There are not 25 options to choose from. And I have found zero option for the angle indicator.
So, how to fill this gap?
Studying up on this critter. Might be able to consume this "part" into a usable digital device that can display all three desired values in a rifle mountable widget.
https://www.tntc.com/revolution/

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Finally got a PVS-30 to replace "long lost" CO-LR. The CO-LR died in Sept 2015, so I've been 28 months without !!!

This is mounted on 5.56(18) with L&S Mk6 3-18x, now upgraded to M5C2 turrets (waaay better) and Tremor-3 illuminated reticle (time will tell).

I took out for a look see and if it wasn't for the green tint, I don't think I could tell it from the UTC :) ... on 18x there was a hint of fuzz, but totally usable.

I also tried with the ELIR-3, but realize I need to "aim" the illuminator a bit to get it aligned to the scope. I have everything torn apart right now prepping for hunting in 1.5 weeks and ELR match in 5 weeks, but I hope to get out and shoot the PVS-30 very soon!!!

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Here is a better pic (more light) ... The L&S 3-18x Tremor-3 with PVS-30 now on the 6.5G(18) with the RAPTAR
and the Burris xtr2 3-15x scr-mil with UTCx now on the 5.56(18) with the Radius

Need to tack down the pressure switches then ready to go outside.

Top Bottom