Optics Planet Now Charging Sales Tax

Rlandry

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
Went there the other night looking for a scope for my on-the-way CZ. Picked out one, went to check out and saw an amount for sales tax. Never saw that before so I canceled the order and went to chat to see what was going on.
They started collecting sales tax at the beginning of the month. Told them I would be changing my online shopping habits which was met with,"lets see what kind of deals we can do to offset the tax."
Sorry, you shouldn't have to do that to makea sale.

Went to Mid-South, found the same scope, same price, free shipping, and no sales tax..

Marinevet1

Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
I bought a stock pack from Triad Tactical a couple of days ago, and was charged sales tax.......first time I have seen it.

SD carpenter

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2019
San Diego
Welcome to California, where we always have to pay sales tax lol... This is what happens when you guys laugh at us... It eventually spreads nationwide

hlee

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2012
TX
Remember, it's the brick and mortars that benefit when sales tax is charged for on line purchases. Aren't y'all all buying from your local mom and pop stores?

I mean, everyone says "but local, buy local" then bitches about on line sales tax. 😒

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Most states joined the bandwagon this year and I would expect within the next 2 years pretty much all the rest will join the out of state sales tax club. Governments just can't pass up what looks like a fresh new feeding trough that's all you can eat.

I would expect that also the limits before they demand sales tax collection will slowly get worked down till they are the minimum level they can get away with before court challenges.

So yes, for now, you can still get away without sales tax when you buy from some smaller outfits.
But don't count on it for very long.

Amazon, eBay, Walmart.com and most other big marketplaces all have to now comply with state rules.

They started collecting sales tax at the beginning of the month. Told them I would be changing my online shopping habits which was met with,"lets see what kind of deals we can do to offset the tax."
Sorry, you shouldn't have to do that to makea sale.
Went to Mid-South, found the same scope, same price, free shipping, and no sales tax..
You might not want to be so pissy towards Optics Planet, they don't like to have to do it, but your state obviously passed a law requiring it, so if you want to get shirty with someone, how about calling your state representatives and letting them know how you feel about it, since they are the ones that forced others to do it. The guys at Optics Planet were at least trying to see if there was anything they could to do make the overall deal a bit better for you.

Reactions: Dippy

Dippy

So damn confused
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2019
Remember, it's the brick and mortars that benefit when sales tax is charged for on line purchases. Aren't y'all all buying from your local mom and pop stores?

I mean, everyone says "but local, buy local" then bitches about on line sales tax. 😒
Nope I’m going to buy from the cheapest source who sells the products I want.

Mom and Pop had the same capitalism opportunity to come up with a business plan just like the other guys. They failed to do that now they are figuring out how to survive in this economy.

It will all come full circle and people will get fed up with crappy service from online and large retailers. Then the smaller specialized shops will start to pop back up.

BadDogPSD

Better make it a double
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Apr 29, 2010
Reno, NV

I try. I really do, and am even willing to pay a small premium to keep my business local. But so many local businesses must be hitting the crack pipe pretty hard when they set their prices.

Recently needed a part for my toy hauler. $18 on Amazon, $22 on Camping World, $57 at the local RV parts place. Wouldn't budge on the price either.

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
When you have to pay rent and employee salaries and all the local inventory taxes and property taxes it's a bit hard to compete on price with someone drop shipping from China.

But don't worry the big megacorps are coming to fix your complaints for you, they will just make it impossible for any small business to exist and you can buy from them cheaper (for awhile) or nobody at all.

Reactions: Liberator52

hlee

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2012
TX
I try. I really do, and am even willing to pay a small premium to keep my business local. But so many local businesses must be hitting the crack pipe pretty hard when they set their prices.

Recently needed a part for my toy hauler. $18 on Amazon, $22 on Camping World, $57 at the local RV parts place. Wouldn't budge on the price either.
Here's something that will really twist you up. A guy I hunt with has a side hustle as a 3rd party Amazon vendor. His roi approaches 4000% on some items (used books)- as a reseller. Literally, buying at Walmart and selling on Amazon...