Obsidian 9 baffles stuck together

jlow

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2010
This is not baffles stuck in a can. New never used can and baffles slides out as a stack but will not come apart. Have tried the hex wrench trick and only can take a couple apart. Any suggestions?

Wulf

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2018
New hampshire
Stuck together like gummed up packing oil or like metal on metal pressed together?

VanJoe

Private
Belligerents
Mar 6, 2017
Jacksonville
This is not baffles stuck in a can. New never used can and baffles slides out as a stack but will not come apart. Have tried the hex wrench trick and only can take a couple apart. Any suggestions?
Maybe someone shot a few thousand rounds through it while it was in Jail.

jlow

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2010
Baffles was still shinny so no one used it. Trying some heat and US right now. Don't think it's oil or grease as the baffles were still shinny and new, more like the tolerance was so tight.

AK4900PA

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 25, 2013
I just picked up my obsidian 9 a few weeks ago. Noticed the baffles were super tight, but I haven't actually tried to take them apart yet. You got me curious now.

jlow

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2010
Talked to Travis from Rugged today. He tells me that I need to put 1,000 rounds through the can and they will loosen up.

Reactions: Max

jlow

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2010
One thing about using US to clean the can, only the baffles, SS parts and brass parts. Never painted parts like the can tube or caps.

Reactions: Threadcutter308

Threadcutter308

Outlier
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Camano Island, Washington
One thing about using US to clean the can, only the baffles, SS parts and brass parts. Never painted parts like the can tube or caps.
Correct, thanks for reminding everyone. No aluminum either. IIRC, no titanium either.

I US clean with one part CLR and three parts water. (Don't use CLR on blued or painted parts, only bare metal like stainless). Once everything is clean/dry, I spray the internals down with MIG anti-spatter. Works like a champ.

Last edited:

jlow

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2010
Rugged's recommended formular which I used and will share with you guys is 50/50 mix of water and Purple Power. I heat it up to boiling in my US cleaner and let the stuff sit in it for 45 min then sonicate for 15 min. Worked amazingly well, but again, only the baffles/springs and brass parts NONE of the tubes/caps should go in. I've heard people experience significant damage doing that.

Reactions: Threadcutter308