New Kestrel® HUD and Kestrel® Ballistics 2700

jwankel

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Apr 14, 2010
Illinois
That's an important point for ranges that have labeled the targets. I don't see as many ranges setup that way, but for ones that I do it would be extremely useful. Anything to avoid confusion on the clock is a plus.

DaveM

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Haverhill, MA
Ideally, for PRS competitions, a shooter should be able to walk up to the stage, range the targets in order of engagement, and the HUD will display either a range card or scrollable target list. I’m not sure how the targets could then be labeled in the HUD to match the target designations. You would need to connect four devices. The Kestrel, the LRF, the HUD, and a smartphone to edit the target designator and upload to the HUD.

DaveM

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Haverhill, MA
Maybe this could be accomplished in the AB app? Users could fill out stage specific range cards before the match similar to the DRS e-dope card. Users could then select the stage card to be used and then range the targets in order and the HUD would display the stage card and fill in the firing solutions?

If it’s not an improvement over a pen and paper, it’s really just a cool toy.

jwankel

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Apr 14, 2010
Illinois
Do you see PRS-style matches where you need to range the targets? Every match I've shot the ranges are provided so I could create stage ahead of time with all the details.

While the ranging of targets with the appropriate connected devices might be a benefit for some, for me, being able to create stages, rename targets and select a target for dialing while the rest are holdover/hold unders would be most useful. Loading all 20 stages into the kestrel the night before and selecting each as you get there would be fantastic.

DaveM

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Haverhill, MA
Do you see PRS-style matches where you need to range the targets? Every match I've shot the ranges are provided so I could create stage ahead of time with all the details.

While the ranging of targets with the appropriate connected devices might be a benefit for some, for me, being able to create stages, rename targets and select a target for dialing while the rest are holdover/hold unders would be most useful. Loading all 20 stages into the kestrel the night before and selecting each as you get there would be fantastic.
Generally, ranging targets in not necessary at PRS matches in my area. There is some variation depending on what target is shot at from any given firing position. It can vary +/- 10 yards. I believe there can be a small advantage to ranging each target for a stage from match to match as not every MD has an accurate LRF. The biggest advantage is being connected to your Kestrel and getting real time environmental conditions for your firing solutions. If you’re filling out your range cards at 7am and not getting to the stage until 2pm, your solutions can be wrong as the weather changes.

If it’s not faster and “cleaner” than simply a pen and paper, it’s just a cool toy.

bunsen27

ACME Labs
Belligerents
Jan 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
@Kestrel Ballistics One quick clarificationquestion before placing my pre-order, the picatiny mount is included for the $399, yes?

I did a Google search and noted one vendor had a pic mount listed separate for $149. I assumed that was just if you wanted an extra mount.

Thanks in advance!

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
@Kestrel Ballistics One quick clarificationquestion before placing my pre-order, the picatiny mount is included for the $399, yes?

I did a Google search and noted one vendor had a pic mount listed separate for $149. I assumed that was just if you wanted an extra mount.

Thanks in advance!
Pic mount is included (can be set for left or right side of the rifle), not sure what that vendor is selling.

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Belligerents
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Couple more questions!
1. Do you have a “pic” of the PRODUCTION pic mount? I ask because I want to know if the clamp portion of the mount is removable. Those of us with scopes mounted very low don’t have the clearance to slide a one piece mount on from the front or from the top. Meaning the only way to get a pic mount on would be if the whole clamp assembly can be removed and reinstalled.
2. What would be the procedure for using 2 HUD’s with one Kestrel and LRF?

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Couple more questions!
1. Do you have a “pic” of the PRODUCTION pic mount? I ask because I want to know if the clamp portion of the mount is removable. Those of us with scopes mounted very low don’t have the clearance to slide a one piece mount on from the front or from the top. Meaning the only way to get a pic mount on would be if the whole clamp assembly can be removed and reinstalled.
2. What would be the procedure for using 2 HUD’s with one Kestrel and LRF?
I'm 99% sure the prototype I saw had a clamp that could be opened completely like you said. I doubt that's changed.

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
I'm 99% sure the prototype I saw had a clamp that could be opened completely like you said. I doubt that's changed.
The clamp can be opened into 2 pieces, see on the left the dissembled clamp. Sorry, it is upside down as it is set for a left side install but can also be switched for right side installation.

Attachments

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Belligerents
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
The clamp can be opened into 2 pieces, see on the left the dissembled clamp. Sorry, it is upside down as it is set for a left side install but can also be switched for right side installation.
Thank you. @Kestrel Ballistics
Doesn’t look like we’ll be able to mount this to the side of a Spuhr. Am I seeing that correctly?
What would be the procedure for using 2 HUD’s with one Kestrel and LRF?

Last edited:

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I am not familiar with the interface, so can't comment.
It uses a pair of threaded holes to mount accessories. Hawk Hill makes a data card holder that mounts to it (I have one) with an arm similar to the HUD mount. You can also put a picatinny rail section on the Spuhr and attach the HUD that way. However, I figure it's only a matter of time before someone makes an aftermarket arm/adapter for the HUD to go directly to a Spuhr interface.

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Belligerents
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Not sure what the problem would be with the Spuhr. Can you explain? I don't think you can link the Kestrel to more than 1 HUD as you need to select only one in the set up.
Yes I was guessing that I could not hook up to more than one at a time. I’m wondering what the process would be to unsync and resync to a different HUD. Would I need to resync all 3 devices (HUD/LRF/Kestrel), 2 devices, just one? Curious what the process would be.

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
If you are interested in purchasing a HUD, you should think about getting in on the pre-order now. The Shot Show is 1/21-1/24 and sales there will be substantial and a backlog could develop.

Pre-order is here

I believe we are now a few days away from shipments.

Soulezoo

Hide Sommelier and Connoisseur of fine spirits
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2018
Here and there
So, how soon should us pre-order folks expect to hear from you regarding payment?

I preordered 3 or 4 months ago.

On edit: I ordered early September.

JRodMT

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Huntley, MT
I’d like to play with one of these before dropping the $$$. I could see how it may not be any better than a pen and paper but I could be completely wrong.

I’d love to see something that I could input yardages on a preset profile and it could quickly display DOPE on an HUD type of set up. While shooting PRS matches, there’s not a lot of time to be setting up DOPE. Speed and efficiency is key. I mean, I understand how you can set up different targets in the Kestrel and then send it to the HUD but I’m just thinking the time to do so would be considerable. A 10-key pad to input ranges at 5-10 targets would speed up the process considerably.

Jolliec

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2018
I preordered in June and have not seen anything. Just in case, I placed a new order on their website and it took my payment info.

Reactions: reubenski

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Hi,

I just downloaded the user manual and I didn't see any mention of the shot counter. Did that feature disappear ?

thanks
There are a few features still to come. We wanted to get the HUD out as quickly as possible with the big items. The add ons will show up through fw updates like the Kestrel additions do.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Belligerents
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Just received a response to my inquiry about HUD availability. Was told shipping is still a month out and that the option to buy on the website was taken down.

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Just received a response to my inquiry about HUD availability. Was told shipping is still a month out and that the option to buy on the website was taken down.
The option for pre-order is still available, shipping is taking place now for earlier pre-orders and it will take about a month to fill those orders so new pre-orders will be about a month out due to backlog of pre-orders.

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Belligerents
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
The option for pre-order is still available, shipping is taking place now for earlier pre-orders and it will take about a month to fill those orders so new pre-orders will be about a month out due to backlog of pre-orders.

Thank you for the clarification

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
I just called and spoke with customer service. The lady I spoke with said they won't be invoicing or shipping for another 4wks.
If you were an early pre-order, we should be able to start shipping those at some point next week and you will get an email invoice for payment. If you pre-ordered late, it would be around 4 weeks from now.

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Sorry, slowdown on HUD - We are beginning full HUD production the first week of February and will work to fill the preorders that have all been placed. We appreciate everyone's patience in this process as we continue to release products that meet our strict quality standards

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Sorry, slowdown on HUD - We are beginning full HUD production the first week of February and will work to fill the preorders that have all been placed. We appreciate everyone's patience in this process as we continue to release products that meet our strict quality standards
I'm sure there will be some grumbling, but I can fully understand wanting to release a product that's right. Glad to see you guys are doing it the right way.

Hootiewho

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
May 12, 2006
SC
Looks like one of the big numbers phones for old folks with that big font. Old Dude friendly!

hillbiggs77

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2018
Kansas City, Missouri
Any chance that the kestrel 2700 will be compatible with strelok pro in the near future?

Jolliec

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2018
Mine arrived today. I have had limited time with it so far, but it seems to work well with my 5700 and SIG3000BDX which I was concerned about. Laze target and it updates on the Kestrel and HUD with solution. I need to figure out how to mount the remote as the manual does not provide a diagram on placement.
First impressions are good so far.

Thanks Kestrel!

Reactions: DaveM and reubenski

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Mine arrived today. I have had limited time with it so far, but it seems to work well with my 5700 and SIG3000BDX which I was concerned about. Laze target and it updates on the Kestrel and HUD with solution. I need to figure out how to mount the remote as the manual does not provide a diagram on placement.
First impressions are good so far.

Thanks Kestrel!
When did you pre-order?

Jolliec

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2018
When did you pre-order?
Original pre-order was June 29, but I never heard anything requesting payment for the order.

So, on Jan 18, 2020 I placed another order on their website where it took my payment information and that is the order I just received.

Reactions: reubenski

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Belligerents
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Original pre-order was June 29, but I never heard anything requesting payment for the order.

So, on Jan 18, 2020 I placed another order on their website where it took my payment information and that is the order I just received.
Well... that ridiculously frustrating for those of us that preordered.

• Sad
Reactions: Macman25

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com

Jolliec, please send info on your order to

info@nkhome.com

This should not have happened and we need to find out why.

bunsen27

ACME Labs
Belligerents
Jan 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I got a request for payment today! :) I ordered Jan 23rd, but payment page errors out whenever I try to submit. :(

Email sent to Kestrel.

bunsen27

ACME Labs
Belligerents
Jan 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
You preordered or ordered on the website?
I ordered through the website. It charged my shipping cost that day. I believe the 23rd was still considered "pre-order".

I ended up calling my cc info for those wondering. Apperantly the email link they sent out was/is not working properly.