New high power Nightforce NX8?

briscoetab

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2011
west texas
I think he is saying that sometimes in an FFP scope it can be difficult to balance the reticle size. If you make the reticle small enough that it’s not too large at max zoom then it’s almost too small to see at the minimum zoom and you need the illumination just to see it because it is so fine.

Reactions: deersniper

Muley Buck

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2018
California
@bourbonbent @Muley Buck thanks for the heads up and bourbonbent thanks for the contact info. Sent email and had confirmation and price list in 30mins. I haven’t ever bought anything but scope bases from nightforce before, I have wanted to but have continually went with vortex products. Well, nightforce has just earned my business, not that I am done with vortex, they are awesome as well.

Glad for all the good companies and support in this sport/hobby, not just the veterans programs but the all out support and helpfulness of many of the companies for the sport/hobby in general.

I will quit with derailing this thread now.
I am not a Vet nor have I served. I also am not a LEO, but I have the utmost respect and hold those that do in high regard. Thank you. I believe you boys should get better pricing than the general public. As you have earned it, and some! It's great that these companies offer this for you guys. 👍🏻

Reactions: Voyager1

3rd shooter

Private
Belligerents
Jul 12, 2007
Kansas City
I am still confused as to why they selected a 30mm. I feel like that's gong backwards. Why not stick with a 34? Will have to wait and see how they look when out. I was really hoping for a 34mm and there new reticle.

ChrisAU

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
SE Alabama
I am still confused as to why they selected a 30mm. I feel like that's gong backwards. Why not stick with a 34? Will have to wait and see how they look when out. I was really hoping for a 34mm and there new reticle.
I think they are trying to gear it towards hunters. The 30mm and consequential weight savings on the scope and rings appeals to me as a hunter. My 4-32 NX8 and Talley LW’s will be around 7-8 oz lighter than an ATACR with 34 mm rings. The ATACR looked ridiculous, IMO, on my lightweight rifle too.

34mm is purely for erector travel right? Is more than 70 MOA ever utilized? Seriously asking from an ignorant standpoint. New to all of this.

rydah

Moons out goons out.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
I think he is saying that sometimes in an FFP scope it can be difficult to balance the reticle size. If you make the reticle small enough that it’s not too large at max zoom then it’s almost too small to see at the minimum zoom and you need the illumination just to see it because it is so fine.
The reticle in the 4-16 ATACR Mil-R was totally fine at x4. Then I got the new Mil-XT and it is hard to pick up at x4.
So no I wasn’t but yes now I am worried it’ll be too fine without illumination during the day at x2.5.

SCGunner84

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2018
I am very interested in the 2.5-20. I’m looking for my first ffp scope that I can plink with long range and deer hunt with. I too was wondering about reticle size at 2.5 but with digilum I think I’ll be fine. This would be going on my 6.5 Saum.

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
MilXT coming in fall

normally 34mm is needed to get the 26/32mil travel they have on these. but aimed somewhere in the middle between hunt/target/comp the 30mm will look more at home on those rifles

Gledeasy

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 16, 2012
Nephi, UT U.S.A.
I would be uninterested in these if they had 34mm tubes. The 4-16 ATACR was the first 34mm tube scope I bought. At the time I was pretty excited thinking I had found the perfect crossover scope. Then it arrived and the first thought was there's no way that's going on that rifle. I eventually built a rifle with a CF barrel so it doesn't look too out of place.

I have the 2.5-20 on order. I keep going back and forth on whether I should have started with the 4-32, but the shorter length won out. Can't wait to get it!

SCGunner84

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2018
I can’t wait for someone to review the 2.5-20. I’m wondering if this would fit the bill for a long range/hunting optic. Reticle size at 2.5 doesn’t bother me too much since some of my deer come within 50 yards of me, plus illumination should help. Anyone have any thoughts if this would be a good option for what I’m wanting to do?

Reactions: Moose

Moose

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2005
NJ
This is shaping up to be one of the best hybrid scopes around with full "tactical/snipery" features. A good tactical scope/rifle is always a great hunting rifle...just usually too heavy/bulky...and the NX8 addresses both of those issues.
Thank you for your input on the NX8.

NVScout

U.O.F. FanBoy!!
Belligerents
Feb 25, 2017
Reno,NV
Thank you for your input on the NX8.
For what it’s worth , I was torn between both for a hunting setup so I called NF and asked what the FOV would be at 20x on both. They said that at 20x they are both identical ! The weight is negligible between the two so the only big difference I see is the length. I don’t mind the length so I went with the 32x

stello1001

Professional Newb
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Corpus Christi TX
Good question. I thought it helped in light transfer also but I could be wrong. Will have to let one of the experts tell us.
Main tube size has absolutely nothing to do with light transmission. It's the size of the objective that brings in all the light and transfers it to our eye...

NGCSUGrad09

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 6, 2007
North East GA
Main tube size has absolutely nothing to do with light transmission. It's the size of the objective that brings in all the light and transfers it to our eye...
Not exactly... It is a combination of objective size, body tube size, glass quality and overall optical design.

Objective lens size also has an effect on resolution capabilities as well (larger is usually better).

goosed

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
May 11, 2014
MN
Perceived brightness is a combination of exit pupil and light transmission.

The tube only needs to be bigger than exit pupil to allow for maximum brightness. Human eye can only utilize roughly 7mm of exit pupil so 30mm>7mm=no effect.

Despite internet or marketing buzz words the objective doesn't "grab" "pull" or "bring" light anywhere. It simply allows light to pass through. Objective size directly impacts exit pupil determined by the formula objective/magnification=exit pupil.

None of the above effect light transmission though.

Things can get deep into the technical weeds here, but as I understand it in general the biggest factors in light transmission are:
1) Amount of light absorbed by each lens
2) Amount of light reflected off each lens
3) Reflections(unwanted) off the tube

The NightForce website had a great article on this topic once upon a time, but I just looked and could not find it...

khuber84

Aim small, miss small
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Montana
Doug notified me today that I will get one of the first 4-32x50 he receives. Expect to have it on my doorstep in less than 2 weeks.

rydah

Moons out goons out.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
Heard fall somewhere.
Yeah I heard late fall.
Shame.
Either way I can’t wait to hear if they are close enough to my 4-16 atacr that I can stop dreaming of a 4-20 atacr and just get the 2.5-20 nx8.

Rexwagon

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2017
ND
anyone get their hands on one yet? Seen they are on the shelf at brotherhood arms in sodak according to their Fb post

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
Belligerents
Jul 23, 2006
South Dakota
I was just at @BrotherhoodArms over lunch and got a good look at them. For their size and weight they're going to be a winner. "Eyeboxes" are perfectly useable up to max mag on both models. Reticle is not overly useable under 6x but who cares.

Turrets are as good as you can expect. Just the right size. Non-rotating eyepiece with throw lever works nicely. Still not a fan of digillum. I'd much prefer a dmr2/g2rzr style illum. (Like on the 1-8 nx8!?!?)

Glass is great. Better than my DMR2. Hot day here with lots of mirage and it seemed to do just fine when held by hand looking over a hot highway.

They'll sell a pile of these especially when the XT comes out.

VegasHKShooter

Always Learning
Belligerents
Feb 28, 2013
Las Vegas, Nv
I will be heading into work early today, as my scope arrived!!!!! Woooo-Hoooo!!
Literally been waiting since SHOT Show for these bad boys.

Initial impressions: eye box seems really good. Surprisingly so for an 8X erector. Glass is too subjective to even worry about. It’s NF HD glass, you can figure it’s good. The turrets are typical NF.
We shall see at about 1300 PST.
Now.....what to put it on....????
Likely my KAC LPR.

Ok, I got the scope leveled up and mounted on a rifle. I was originally going to put it on my KAC LPR, but I decided to put it on a gun in a caliber that I was more able to stretch the scope out and really use it. I built a 6.5CM gas gun several months back. I built it as a proof of concept to see if I could build a sub moa 6.5 semi-auto for under $1500. The gun has been a super neat build. It is an Aero Precision upper/lower. The 18" barrel is a Ballistic Advantage, with a rifle length gas system, and a Superlative Arms gas block to keep the gasses down. The rifle has consistently shot sub moa. It handles the Hornady American Gunner 140gr surprisingly well. Once I got the scope leveled and zeroed in it's Geissele Super Precision mount, it was time to stretch it out. It was super windy here today, so at 300 yds, I was using .8 mils to hit a USPSA steel target. At 750 yds I was at 5 mils elevation, and 1.8 mils of wind. I dialed and held from 100 to 225 to 315 to 750. Everything so far is coming up solid. The eye box that everyone was so concerned about seems like a non issue. it isn't titanic big, but it absolutely is not what I would consider finicky or tight.
The other issue that I have heard people are concerned about is how the reticle looks at low power. I can say that at power below about 6, it looks like a basic crosshair reticle. you cannot really discern the lines/notches between the numbers. BUT.....in my opinion, if you are shooting at 2.5-6X, you aren't likely dialing hard and holding small lines. You can absolutely use the crosshairs and make hits. At about 8x, the reticle starts to be usable for seeing the numbers. By 10x, you have a very nice, usable reticle. Again, if you're shooting at 3x, you're likely close, and shooting fast. I fired up the illumination to see how it did. It is pretty bright. Not Aimpoint bright, but in lower light, or shadows, it is usable. I really like the green light. Very easy on the eyes.
I only had about an hour and a half to shoot today, so I did not get around to a tall target test, or a box test to check tracking. I do not have any reason to think the scope won't track, but I will test it next time around.

That's all I have for now. I can say I am very satisfied with the scope for now. I love how it looks on a semi-auto. I can absolutely see this scope and I spending many quality hours together.

Last edited:

stello1001

Professional Newb
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Corpus Christi TX
I will be heading into work early today, as my scope arrived!!!!! Woooo-Hoooo!!
Literally been waiting since SHOT Show for these bad boys.

Initial impressions: eye box seems really good. Surprisingly so for an 8X erector. Glass is too subjective to even worry about. It’s NF HD glass, you can figure it’s good. The turrets are typical NF.
We shall see at about 1300 PST.
Now.....what to put it on....????
Likely my KAC LPR.

Ok, I got the scope leveled up and mounted on a rifle. I was originally going to put it on my KAC LPR, but I decided to put it on a gun in a caliber that I was more able to stretch the scope out and really use it. I built a 6.5CM gas gun several months back. I built it as a proof of concept to see if I could build a sub moa 6.5 semi-auto for under $1500. The gun has been a super neat build. It is an Aero Precision upper/lower. The 18" barrel is a Ballistic Advantage, with a rifle length gas system, and a Superlative Arms gas block to keep the gasses down. The rifle has consistently shot sub moa. It handles the Hornady American Gunner 140gr surprisingly well. Once I got the scope leveled and zeroed in it's Geissele Super Precision mount, it was time to stretch it out. It was super windy here today, so at 300 yds, I was using .8 mils to hit a USPSA steel target. At 750 yds I was at 5 mils elevation, and 1.8 mils of wind. I dialed and held from 100 to 225 to 315 to 750. Everything so far is coming up solid. The eye box that everyone was so concerned about seems like a non issue. it isn't titanic big, but it absolutely is not what I would consider finicky or tight.
The other issue that I have heard people are concerned about is how the reticle looks at low power. I can say that at power below about 6, it looks like a basic crosshair reticle. you cannot really discern the lines/notches between the numbers. BUT.....in my opinion, if you are shooting at 2.5-6X, you aren't likely dialing hard and holding small lines. You can absolutely use the crosshairs and make hits. At about 8x, the reticle starts to be usable for seeing the numbers. By 10x, you have a very nice, usable reticle. Again, if you're shooting at 3x, you're likely close, and shooting fast. I fired up the illumination to see how it did. It is pretty bright. Not Aimpoint bright, but in lower light, or shadows, it is usable. I really like the green light. Very easy on the eyes.
I only had about an hour and a half to shoot today, so I did not get around to a tall target test, or a box test to check tracking. I do not have any reason to think the scope won't track, but I will test it next time around.

That's all I have for now. I can say I am very satisfied with the scope for now. I love how it looks on a semi-auto. I can absolutely see this scope and I spending many quality hours together.
Let's see pics how it looks on that gasser...

beetroot

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018

Luvman

Belligerents
Mar 17, 2003
Northern KY
Great review, and awesome looking rifle!

My only criticism of the scope is the front half looks funny, think it'd look right if it were a small objective lens and a bit longer, like the front half of the 4-16x42 ATACR.

Total non issue I know.....

On paper the 2.5-20 is the perfect do it all scope. My only concern is front ring clearance. anyone know of it will fit in a spuhr?

USMC_JA

Private
Belligerents
Dec 13, 2010

My only criticism of the scope is the front half looks funny, think it'd look right if it were a small objective lens and a bit longer, like the front half of the 4-16x42 ATACR.

Funny. That was my exact first thought. Looking cool is half the battle...... :cool:

VegasHKShooter

Always Learning
Belligerents
Feb 28, 2013
Las Vegas, Nv
Mount rings flipped? A to A, B to B?
Hahahaha, saw that. Already fixed it today. Scope is now on my KAC LPR, where it will likely stay. Looks SUPER good on the KAC. Talk about an awesome SPR/ DMR scope. I love that I can now really stretch out the 18" barrel of my LPR.

Ok, so when I took the scope out today, I also took out my GAP-10 with my 5-25 ATACR. I set my 5-25 on 20X, and did an absolute side by side comp. The 2.5-20 is very nice, very clear, and can certainly hold it's own by itself. However....it is not an ATACR. When absolutely side by side, the ATACR shows itself. The ATACR has more "pop", and is a bit cleaner overall. That is not to say the NX8 isn't nice....it is. Since I have both, I can be totally honest in my comparison. If you don't look through the ATACR, the glass in the NX8 is going to seem very good. It's only in a true side by side test that a difference can be seen. I believe the cost on the NX8 is about $1900, the ATACR is around $2500. That $600 does show. Whether it shows enough to justify the cost is an individual decision. For a 12" scope that weighs 28 ounces, with such a usable power band.....I am really happy with the purchase. I think for any semi auto, the NX8 2.5-20 is going to be the heat!

kukworld

Private
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Does the scope feels sturdy? I have both NXS and NX8...although they are great, doesn’t feel as study as the MK5 HD. obviously Atacr is in another league.

deersniper

Truth Teller
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2007
N. Maryland

Short is a good thing when trying to mount things in front of the scope with limited rail space

Reactions: VegasHKShooter

rydah

Moons out goons out.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
Hahahaha, saw that. Already fixed it today. Scope is now on my KAC LPR, where it will likely stay. Looks SUPER good on the KAC. Talk about an awesome SPR/ DMR scope. I love that I can now really stretch out the 18" barrel of my LPR.

Ok, so when I took the scope out today, I also took out my GAP-10 with my 5-25 ATACR. I set my 5-25 on 20X, and did an absolute side by side comp. The 2.5-20 is very nice, very clear, and can certainly hold it's own by itself. However....it is not an ATACR. When absolutely side by side, the ATACR shows itself. The ATACR has more "pop", and is a bit cleaner overall. That is not to say the NX8 isn't nice....it is. Since I have both, I can be totally honest in my comparison. If you don't look through the ATACR, the glass in the NX8 is going to seem very good. It's only in a true side by side test that a difference can be seen. I believe the cost on the NX8 is about $1900, the ATACR is around $2500. That $600 does show. Whether it shows enough to justify the cost is an individual decision. For a 12" scope that weighs 28 ounces, with such a usable power band.....I am really happy with the purchase. I think for any semi auto, the NX8 2.5-20 is going to be the heat!
Would you rather have the atacr at x16 or the nx8 at x20 for shooting at 1000m?

Moose

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2005
NJ
Happy to see these are getting into the hands of shooters.Thanks for your hands on view of the scope,Im looking forward to some more reviews of this scope.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug