Mils left after zero. (last question today I promise)

Smokin7s

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
I just zeroed my pmII dt. It’s on an impact action and it’s a 6 creed. Local “expert” told me I should never have had to go into my yellow window to get zeroed. Now that I’m zeroed I have 20.4 mils of adjustment on my turret not including my ret . I’m just using regular rings not a one piece with elevation built in. Is 20.4 pretty normal to be left after getting zeroed or is my home town hero right? 20.4 will get me out to 1613 which is further than I ever shoot just making sure that’s normal for piece of mind I guess.

Huskydriver

You gotta want it....
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2018
SLC, Utah
Is your second rev indicator windows yellow and you have 20 mils left? Something ain't right there

Smokin7s

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Is your second rev indicator windows yellow and you have 20 mils left? Something ain't right there
No sir, lol. When I zeroed my rifle, before I reset my turret I was in the yellow window. I’ve now got my turret set on zero and have 20.4 mils. My window is black until 14 like normal.

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
20.4 is more than most of my scopes have left. I am not sure what the total adjustment is on your scope, and I am not familiar with it.

Where your turret started is what led you to end up in the yellow window. If you have enough up travel, where you were, before you zeroed your turret is pretty much irrelevant. {ending up in the yellow window zeroing I mean}

Reactions: Huskydriver

Huskydriver

You gotta want it....
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2018
SLC, Utah
Then you are good to go although I'm curious what the scope was at before adjusting because i thought the dt only had like 26 mils total travel to start with. If you went into the yellow you more than likely started at 13 mils right in the middle of the scopes travel and came down 7 to zero leaving you now with 20 up.

Smokin7s

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Then you are good to go although I'm curious what the scope was at before adjusting because i thought the dt only had like 26 mils total travel to start with. If you went into the yellow you more than likely started at 13 mils right in the middle of the scopes travel and came down 7 to zero leaving you now with 20 up.
This was where it was when shooting dead nuts. Now it’s on zero, black window, and 20.4 mils left.

Attachments

Smokin7s

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
What I don’t understand is I was using 13 mils already. So how did I zero my turret and still have 20
Probably wasn’t set exactly on zero to begin with yes? I did buy it from a guy used so no telling where he had it

mvogel55

flguy55
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2019
26 total vertical out of the box (not uncommon to get a few extra clicks), divide by two based on a flat rail gives 13, remove 5.8 if you're on a 20 moa rail (I'm assuming you are), leaves 7.2 ish down and about 19 mil up. Account for a few more clicks down for your 100 yard zero. I'd say 20 mil vertical up from zero sounds about spot on.

Reactions: Smokin7s

dustingaunder

Untitled
Belligerents
Dec 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
www.google.com
I don’t run into very many people at the range on a normal outing that I would take advice from on anything. Smile and be friendly but no use for their advice...Especially if it was unsolicited. I’m not all-knowing but some of these mouthbreathers are no-knowing.

Reactions: Supersubes