Marines Pick VCOG 1-8 as new Common Optic

clcustom1911

Non Sibi Sed Patriae
Belligerents
Oct 23, 2017
Southern Kommiefornia
19000 will probably cover infantry, artillery, LAR, AAV (ground combat element) units. I doubt the FSSG or Wing would get these in this first push. When we first got the RCO from Trijicon, they were first issued to grunt units, then other direct combat support units like artillery, etc.

clcustom1911

Non Sibi Sed Patriae
Belligerents
Oct 23, 2017
Southern Kommiefornia
And you will still see a dozen or so dumb fuckers requaling for their pizza box.

Edit to add I was in during the ACOG transition. Was baffled then how the fuck you could unq with that 4x mag. It LITERALLY did the work for you.
I got out before the ACOG was used for annual qual. I'm kinda proud to have been the last "generation" to do iron sights.... and a Corpsman 😂

Reactions: fx77 and Culpeper

Culpeper

"Goodbye, Rutten"
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2006
Roswell NM
Comes to about $3400 per unit. Of those 19,000 approx. 1900 will once engage a target at 750 yards. Within that will be 190 effectively engaging a target at that distance with 19 estimated confirmed kills. That comes to $3.37 million per kill. Learning how to engage a target with iron sights is priceless.

candyx

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
It a good plan to be able to engage a combatant far out as possible, extends your perimeter.

Reactions: Ravenworks

Culpeper

"Goodbye, Rutten"
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2006
Roswell NM
Marines need to work on getting fresh socks and Cheetos to the grunts. Fucking Marines are always short on some necessity. They get dysentery and have to shit in the same pair of pants forever. But they have a super cool optic.

Reactions: fx77

nick338

Private
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2013
Comes to about $3400 per unit. Of those 19,000 approx. 1900 will once engage a target at 750 yards. Within that will be 190 effectively engaging a target at that distance with 19 estimated confirmed kills. That comes to $3.37 million per kill. Learning how to engage a target with iron sights is priceless.
Do you want to engage targets with iron sights or kill targets with a precision optic? Of all the conflicts we have been involved in in the last 40 years, all of our enemies have have been inferior in training and equipment and 99% of them had weapons with iron sights. There are quite a few grunts that are very thankful for that and probably alive today because of it. Had we been fighting a near peer enemy the results would be a little different.

There's nothing wrong with equipping small units with a standoff weapon to extend engagement ranges.

How many enemy aircraft have F-22 Raptors killed? Zero. Seems like a waste, especially at 300 million per plane but there is a "requirement" to stay ahead of possible adversaries in every way possible. In fact when retard Gates killed the program it left the Air Force with a huge shortage of air superiority fighters and the writing was on the wall at the time.

Reactions: deersniper and fx77

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
I hope they come with Bible verses.....maybe that one from Pulp Fiction would be cool, you know smiting and all that.

Reactions: Culpeper

Kickin45

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2018
It’s a nice piece I’m sure, but I feel like there are several other better options out there.

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Belligerents
Jan 25, 2010
the Westside
Rather have that VCOG than go back to irons.
At the rate (and mentality) .mil has, in another 10 years it'll be determined that iron sites are better in combat because the scope is too top heavy and we can make room to now add some other shit we dont need instead. 10 years after that, we will discover that red dot sites exist. Again.

This parabala of bullshit has been going on with helmets for a while now. Let's start with this small metal thing that really only helps with displaced material from overhead/indirect fire. Now lets basically enclose your entire fucking head in a heavy ass bullet proof box. Hey, let's try and add some Boba Fett shit to the front and sides of it. Ok, now we have too much stuff and its too heavy, lets take alot of material off of it. Ok, so now lets take even more material off of it so there's basically nothing on the side.

Ill let you guess what the next evolution of that is.

Reactions: aam

Healy

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2018
Looks like a win

JC0352

Private
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2011
Louisiana
I don’t get the older gents grumbling about irons. Optics help you see better not shoot better, plus wouldn’t you want every advantage to see and shoot better when your life may be on the line? Also, PID is a thing...

Bigfatcock

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2019
I qualified when it was still hit or miss with irons, and then the score change, and then the ACOG. Having optics is the shit.

Reactions: fx77

RyanScott

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 14, 2005
Houston
19000 will probably cover infantry, artillery, LAR, AAV (ground combat element) units. I doubt the FSSG or Wing would get these in this first push. When we first got the RCO from Trijicon, they were first issued to grunt units, then other direct combat support units like artillery, etc.
Odd that the Marines consider artillery combat support. In the Army they are Combat Arms.
Would you be more effective with the SCO or irons? Will Joe be more effective with the optic, or irons?

$2800 isn’t a lot. A riflemans kit can push $30,000 already.

DOA

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2009
CA
I was one of the first to get the A2 with irons in boot and while its good to learn irons, would rather have had an optic. Never scored below expert so I never did get the pizzabox.

Aescobar17

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
And if a single one of those kills saves a single American life it was money well spent!

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Hessian
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
It's a two pound brick of an optic, but .... that 1-8 variable magnification will come in very handy.

black5.3

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 1, 2017
NC
I qualified in boot camp with irons but my issued gun in the fleet had the acog on it. Definitely helped when on the 500 yard firing line. Its been several years now but I remember my m4 not being heavy and if i added another pound or so on the optic but got another 4x in magnification I would have welcomed it. Adding a little more more weight to the gun would not really be a concern to me when you take into account all the other weight i had in my plate carrier, my pack and in my cargo pockets swinging around with every step. It was going to suck anyway so why not.

Reactions: loveha

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
I qualified in boot camp with irons but my issued gun in the fleet had the acog on it. Definitely helped when on the 500 yard firing line. Its been several years now but I remember my m4 not being heavy and if i added another pound or so on the optic but got another 4x in magnification I would have welcomed it. Adding a little more more weight to the gun would not really be a concern to me when you take into account all the other weight i had in my plate carrier, my pack and in my cargo pockets swinging around with every step. It was going to suck anyway so why not.

Id only ask that they supply KAC 45 degree offsets or top rail KAC 0-600 meter BUIS and some sort of base that allows for ripping the optic off the gun if it goes down.

Some part of the qual should require the Marines use those BUIS.

If they are 45 degree offsets fine you wont have to worry about a dead nuts return to zero base but you should be able to engage a steel plate if need be out to 200 yards, er meters.

Perhaps Im being a ninny because BUIS seem to be the most useless accessory ever installed on an AR but most of us don't depend on our guns for survival. I think for Marines its a good option and a skill they need.

black5.3

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 1, 2017
NC
Id only ask that they supply KAC 45 degree offsets or top rail KAC 0-600 meter BUIS and some sort of base that allows for ripping the optic off the gun if it goes down.

Some part of the qual should require the Marines use those BUIS.

If they are 45 degree offsets fine you wont have to worry about a dead nuts return to zero base but you should be able to engage a steel plate if need be out to 200 yards, er meters.

Perhaps Im being a ninny because BUIS seem to be the most useless accessory ever installed on an AR but most of us don't depend on our guns for survival. I think for Marines its a good option and a skill they need.
I can agree with that, learning to use buis and transitioning to them is a great skill for anyone/everyone to practice.... but, people that get paid way more than me make those decisions and unfortunately are not always the ones on the ground putting that training to use.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
If marines bought the 45 degree buis, they would appear on ebay and ee all over the place.

Tell them its an automatic 6 month extension on enlistment if they go missing.

The barracks Blue Falcon that likes to hit Saigon Sams in order to fuel his drinking habit would go from third deck to parade without touching a ladder well step most expeditiously.

sleeplz

Private
Belligerents
May 12, 2017
Not sure if your tracking, but marine Corp kac sights exploded on the net and at one point you could get them for 30 bucks. It was more than enlisted bros individually taking them off.

Auto 6 month extension motivates no one. Kick the bad eggs out.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
They are surplussing Trijicons? Last I heard they were coded in supply as an item that couldn’t be surplused to the public. I forget the term.

Even better they are surplusing Unertl SSDS.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
Not sure if your tracking, but marine Corp kac sights exploded on the net and at one point you could get them for 30 bucks. It was more than enlisted bros individually taking them off.

Auto 6 month extension motivates no one. Kick the bad eggs out.
Yes saw those and all the chatter about "You are buying a stolen sight"

They are so prevalent someone must have taken a container full destined for the Iraqi Army.

I like the full size models rather than the micro.

KACs are the shizzle for allowing windage adjustments.

Reactions: TSpork