Magnetospeed on a pistol?

Feb 14, 2017
AR
OK, I'm thinking about upgrading to a V3 simply to be able to use it on a railed pistol. Only concern is it kinda looks like an after thought, how well does the adapter really work?

Feb 13, 2017
It works well. I do all of my pistol testing with it. I have tested it on a CZ SP01 and a P09.

You have to have a pistol with a multi slot rail or it won’t work.

Feb 13, 2017
^^^ It works fine on single slot Glocks without a common pica tinny rail and with a SureFire Rail adapter for proprietary
legacy HK rail patterns.

Examples: G19, G17, HK USP

IMG_1994 copy.JPG IMG_1995a copy.jpg IMG_2001a.jpg IMG_2020 copy.JPG IMG_2022 copy.JPG IMG_2027 copy.JPG IMG_2028 copy.JPG

Feb 13, 2017
Well I guess I just didn’t try enough. With the barrel being so far away from the bayonet what sensitivity do you have to run?

Feb 14, 2017
AR
Thanks Strikeeagle, those pics are much, much better than the ones I found through google. I wonder if someone like MKM could make a trigger guard adapter for no rail pistols?

Feb 14, 2017
AR
Hey, is GG&G the only place making the rail adapter(for the USP) now? Everything else looks like it's made in China, or discontinued.

Last edited:

Strykervet

Resident Phoenix Eye and Dim Mak Instructor
Jun 5, 2011
Pierce County, WA
Beware of the upward rake a lot of the (usually gen 3) glock rails have if using it with a glock.
Have you tried this? With the chrono? The rails on a Glock aren't meant to take much weight, especially cantilevered out like that. Chances are it won't function. That rail is pretty much strictly for lights. Anything tight on there or heavy will warp the dust cover enough to prevent it from cycling. If you've ever seen a Glock in slomo, you'll see that the frame twists and bends at the dustcover.

But if you have it all it may be worth a try. Perhaps resting the weight of the chrono on a bag or something would help. Good luck!

mgrs

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 18, 2018
NoVA
Have you tried this? With the chrono? The rails on a Glock aren't meant to take much weight, especially cantilevered out like that. Chances are it won't function. That rail is pretty much strictly for lights. Anything tight on there or heavy will warp the dust cover enough to prevent it from cycling. If you've ever seen a Glock in slomo, you'll see that the frame twists and bends at the dustcover.

But if you have it all it may be worth a try. Perhaps resting the weight of the chrono on a bag or something would help. Good luck!
I did; and it did not work. Using the magnetospeed rail adapter, I could not rig it such that a) it would pick up the bullet; and b) the bullet would not hit the magnetospeed bayonet due to the significant upward angle the sloped rail induced. This was with multiple gen 3 glocks.

I am sure a slow motion video would have showed the whole setup vibrating all over the place.

This, and the difficulty in using magnetospeed with odd-shaped weapons, such as M1 "Garands," or some rifles with full length handguards, as well as the POI shift it sometimes induced, led me to start using a labradar instead as it seems to work with everything.

Magnetospeed is a great tool, but more limited in many ways than other chronographs.

Feb 14, 2017
AR
I'll keep an eye on that as I have a couple of Gen 3 Glocks, I wish the rail adapter would work with the Sporter then I wouldn't have to get a V3.

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
Would it be possible to mount the magneto speed onto a solid fixture such as a tripod, then shoot over it, or is there a requirement that the unit be affixed directly onto whatever firearm's velocity is being tested?