LMT .308 MWS

RyanScott

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 14, 2005
Houston
I had a similar setup made with a different muzzle device. Have yet to shoot it. Very compact but a pound heavier than my SR25.

skatz11

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2009
Lexington, KY
I put a BRT reduced port gas tube in my MWS yesterday it and made a huge difference with my suppressor on. I let BRT pick the port size based on the inputs on their site. I selected dedicated suppressed and it runs great. I may try a 50/50 use size to see how it compare or experiment with my factory gas tube.

If you shoot your MWS suppressed I highly recommend going this route vs the heavy buffer and spring.

Kremvh

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2018
Dallas, TX
I've got a MWS Defender with 16" .308 barrel that I recently filed for a Form 1 to SBR with a 13.5" barrel. I also have a Surefire 300SPS on order that I was intending for the MWS to share with a future .300BLK SBR.

Does anyone run a 300SPS on their 13.5" MWS? Any reliability issues with the suppressor?

Gasgun

Private
Belligerents
Mar 10, 2013
I've got a MWS Defender with 16" .308 barrel that I recently filed for a Form 1 to SBR with a 13.5" barrel. I also have a Surefire 300SPS on order that I was intending for the MWS to share with a future .300BLK SBR.

Does anyone run a 300SPS on their 13.5" MWS? Any reliability issues with the suppressor?
Not exactly apples to apples, but I run a 762RC on my MWS Defender with a 16” SS barrel. Zero issues.

Other than the SureFire 3 prong flash suppressor that is required to mount the can and a Geissele Hi-Speed trigger, it is stone stock.

Factory buffer and spring, gas tube, bolt carrier, everything.

It has been 100% reliable. Cycles very smoothly.

I shoot left handed, so my face is right over the ejection port. I get no unpleasant face full of gas from this combination.

The people complaining about the MWS being “overgassed” are usually running high back pressure suppressors. Silencerco are among the worst for this.

I think that the 300 SPS has a different baffle design to work better with the lower pressure of the 300 BK round, while still being effective with .308 so it may have a little more gas out the ejection port.

I bet that you are going to be happy with it. I would definitely try running your rifle in stock configuration first, before throwing parts at it.

Kremvh

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2018
Dallas, TX
Not exactly apples to apples, but I run a 762RC on my MWS Defender with a 16” SS barrel. Zero issues.

Other than the SureFire 3 prong flash suppressor that is required to mount the can and a Geissele Hi-Speed trigger, it is stone stock.

Factory buffer and spring, gas tube, bolt carrier, everything.

It has been 100% reliable. Cycles very smoothly.

I shoot left handed, so my face is right over the ejection port. I get no unpleasant face full of gas from this combination.

The people complaining about the MWS being “overgassed” are usually running high back pressure suppressors. Silencerco are among the worst for this.

I think that the 300 SPS has a different baffle design to work better with the lower pressure of the 300 BK round, while still being effective with .308 so it may have a little more gas out the ejection port.

I bet that you are going to be happy with it. I would definitely try running your rifle in stock configuration first, before throwing parts at it.
That's great input, thanks. I'm somewhat concerned by the talk of the 300SPS being less robust than the 762RC – so I was considering getting the Form 4 started on a 762RC.

Just got the SBR Form 1 back in today, so does anyone have a line on a 13.5" barrel? Is it worth paying for the stainless 13.5" barrel over the chrome lined? My current 16" chrome lined barrel seems to be very accurate from the limited time I have behind the gun.

Gasgun

Private
Belligerents
Mar 10, 2013
That's great input, thanks. I'm somewhat concerned by the talk of the 300SPS being less robust than the 762RC – so I was considering getting the Form 4 started on a 762RC.

Just got the SBR Form 1 back in today, so does anyone have a line on a 13.5" barrel? Is it worth paying for the stainless 13.5" barrel over the chrome lined? My current 16" chrome lined barrel seems to be very accurate from the limited time I have behind the gun.
Why not just have ADCO or someone else cut the barrel you have now?

Kremvh

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2018
Dallas, TX
Why not just have ADCO or someone else cut the barrel you have now?
That’s the likely scenario if I can’t find a factory 13.5” barrel.

I also had the idea of hanging on to the 16” barrel in case I need to go out of state. This scenario is highly unlikely, but overthinking things is very much a thing that I do.

R0CKETMAN

Private
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2010
NGAMTNS
That’s the likely scenario if I can’t find a factory 13.5” barrel.

I also had the idea of hanging on to the 16” barrel in case I need to go out of state. This scenario is highly unlikely, but overthinking things is very much a thing that I do.
I’d sell it and get a second bbl to better compliment your thirteen five.
...6.5 maybe?

jbaker001200

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
I'll be too low. Even if it clears the rail you're going to find it too low to establish a good consistent comfortable cheek weld.
Hmmm. Dang. I was wanting a mount lower than 1.5” because 1.5 just seems a little too high for me. I currently have an American rifle co 1.38” tall and even find that to still be a bit much

Blackfoot 7

Private
Belligerents
Apr 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hmmm. Dang. I was wanting a mount lower than 1.5” because 1.5 just seems a little too high for me. I currently have an American rifle co 1.38” tall and even find that to still be a bit much
1.18 didn't work out all that well for me when I tried it on an S&B 4-16x PMII on an MWS flat top. I could still achieve a sight picture, but having 1.5 height is what I preferred and ultimately went back to. It might work out for you. Good luck.

jbaker001200

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
1.18 didn't work out all that well for me when I tried it on an S&B 4-16x PMII on an MWS flat top. I could still achieve a sight picture, but having 1.5 height is what I preferred and ultimately went back to. It might work out for you. Good luck.
Yeah, personally I feel like the height will be comfortable but I’m worried it may not clear. Although I’ve seen pics of a 4601 which is 1.18” tall w/ 20moa cant and it clears but that was for a 34mm mk6 3-18. Not sure if the 35mm tube would affect a change in dimension. If it doesn’t fit I’ll probably go up to the 1.35” height, we’ll see. Thanks for the info I appreciate it

Lurp06x

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2020
Just ordered the L129 Reference Rifle from V1 tactical. Great people to deal so far. Been given a ETA of mid October for the rifle though.
I am not in any hurry to get the gun and now i have months to ponder what glass to get for my new LMT. But i have heard lots of great things about these rifles so I look forward to getting some trigger time with this one.

cheers!

The DFC

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
White Bear Lake, MN
Just ordered the L129 Reference Rifle from V1 tactical. Great people to deal so far. Been given a ETA of mid October for the rifle though.
I am not in any hurry to get the gun and now i have months to ponder what glass to get for my new LMT. But i have heard lots of great things about these rifles so I look forward to getting some trigger time with this one.

cheers!
Nice. I've used V1 also-all went great. I got my Sharpshooter at Brownells a few years ago-paid much more $$ than V1. Baller rifle. It will give you time to stock up on FGGM 168/175gr cause it will love that. Also Global Ordnance is selling Australian Outback 168gr it loves. Come to think of it-cheap 1980s Korean ball ammo shoots well in it. It's the least picky about ammo gun I've ever shot.

Tono

And...
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Texas
Nice. I've used V1 also-all went great. I got my Sharpshooter at Brownells a few years ago-paid much more $$ than V1. Baller rifle. It will give you time to stock up on FGGM 168/175gr cause it will love that. Also Global Ordnance is selling Australian Outback 168gr it loves. Come to think of it-cheap 1980s Korean ball ammo shoots well in it. It's the least picky about ammo gun I've ever shot.
Unlike some, I like the Prvi Partizan Match ammo. Accurate and can be found at great prices..
Ammo Seek: PPU 308 Match

PPU 308 168gr Match. SD of 6.2
PPU 308 168gr Match.jpeg

PPU 308 175gr Match.jpeg

PPU 308 55gr Match.jpeg

Lurp06x

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2020
I got plenty of FGMM stocked up already. I’m going to get a few different projectiles for reloading for next winters shooting season.
kinda wish that the rifle had the 1/10 twist rate so I could play with heavier bullets. But I have lots of experience with the 1/11.25 barrels. This rifle is going to be great regardless.

Reactions: The DFC

HornDog87

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
Alaska
I am proud to say that I've joined the LMT family, with an lmt mws that I purchased from a fellow SH member. It was an ordeal to get him the payment, then to wait for the two weeks for the rifle to show up. In between that time I had to go back and forth on the optics, the bipods, stocks, triggers, all the good stuff. I finally was able to make it to the range to range to see what this bad boy can do.
I'm extremely excited to say that the mws has surpassed my expectations! Not only is the recoil smooth, but it eats whatever I put into it and it's sub moa with Hornady black 155gr amax to 168gr fgmm. I'm sure if I took even more time and didn't have new rifle jitters it maybe would've been tighter.
Hands down the best gas rifle purchase I've made, now I've got to clean out my safe of my other 308s as I plan on only running this lmt as an all around rig.

Semper fi
Horner

Attachments

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Hessian
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
My LMT MWS .308 Update:

I purchased my LMT MWS from LMT directly when they had them on sale for $1900. I've had it now for a number of months and have run a fairly wide variety of ammo through it, shooting from the bench, from a bipod. I got a 20" SS barrel for it, the DMR stock, a Geissele SSA-E trigger and put a full sized Fat Bastard Brake on it. I got rid of my Harris and went with an Accu-TAC FC-G2 bipod (huge improvement!). I am using a Nightforce NX82.5-20.

I've been focusing on my fundamentals very carefully, really learning to work the trigger, avoiding feathering the trigger, etc. etc.

Long and short of it is: With even the crappiest 30 year old MIL SPEC stuff from Maylasia, I'm banging 6" steel plates at 400 yards, consistently and having a blast with the steel targets I have access to from 300 to 400 yards, various sizes.

I've tested it with Federal GMM 175 and 165 gr SMKs, several Hornady and Lapua loads and several less expensive mil spec stuff, but ... the very best groups I've been able to get so far are with .... PRIME AMMO 175 SMK. My best five shot group, repeated half a dozen times on a nice day (little/no wind, 70 degrees at 100 yards.. was .37 and .38 MOA.

For me, I find this very satisfying given all considerations and I'm enjoying the challenge of increasing my speed and accuracy against the steel targets at 400 spread out over a 50 yard line of targets various shapes and sizes. The muzzle brake very effectively gets me back on target very quickly and I'm able to get the steel swinging shooting as rapidly as I can.

Here's a pic of my set up.20200131_121111.jpg20200131_121117.jpg20200131_121133.jpg20200131_121149.jpg

Last edited:

HornDog87

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
Alaska
Hello everyone,

I'm hard up for an mws lower parts kit and it seems to be the holy grail. Has anyone been able to find these relatively easily?

Semper fi
Horner

ltong29

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm hard up for an mws lower parts kit and it seems to be the holy grail. Has anyone been able to find these relatively easily?

Semper fi
Horner
I was able to get the last one at Primary Arms this week during the 12% sale. Titan Defense might have them. I would give them a call. I got my firing pin, cam pin, and recoil kit from them, the first two parts not being on the website. They said their website is inaccurate in terms of what they have, so calling them is the best option

HornDog87

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
Alaska
TONO for the win! Thank you very much, felt like I was going to have to parts and piece it from multiple sights 🤙

Semper fi
Horner

HornDog87

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
Alaska
Ltong29 I did speak with titan defense and he sold his last parts kit a day or two ago. Figures, but he was pretty mellow and I'll be picking up a buffer tube kit from him 🤙

Semper fi
Horner

Tono

And...
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Texas
TONO for the win! Thank you very much, felt like I was going to have to parts and piece it from multiple sights 🤙

Semper fi
Horner
Glad that I could help. Was tempted to buy the kit myself. I like to have spare parts and not to have to go looking for them!

HornDog87

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
Alaska
I bought one, but I might buy another seems as though lmt isn't putting them out fast enough! But it seems as though they're still in stock after I purchased mine 🤙

Semper fi
Horner

Centuriator

Hessian
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
So....they also have MLOK MWS uppers and 16" .308 chrome barrels in stock as well, so with the discount code you can get a complete rifle for $2178. That's an awesome dang good deal.

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 8.37.48 PM.png

Reactions: Tono

The DFC

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
White Bear Lake, MN
So....they also have MLOK MWS uppers and 16" .308 chrome barrels in stock as well, so with the discount code you can get a complete rifle for $2178. That's an awesome dang good deal.

View attachment 7264370

No BCG or BUIS-if you want LMT that's another half a stack easy. Brownells charges sales tax too-so basically wiping out the 8% discount.

Centuriator

Hessian
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
No BCG or BUIS-if you want LMT that's another half a stack easy. Brownells charges sales tax too-so basically wiping out the 8% discount.
Re. sales tax...depends on where you live. If you can find better prices and better deals, by all means post them up! Good point re. BCG, etc!!!

Like I said, I got my complete rifle from LMT on a sale they were running for $2,000 flat.

I do not know how often LMT runs sales on complete rifles like that.

ltong29

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2019
Not as a good a price as the one Brownells is offering right now, but good to have other sources.
Pretty sure the MARS-H is considered an upgrade to the MWS as it has native ambidextrous bolt and magazine release. FWIW, Titan Defense didn't charge me sales tax on my purchase, so it actually brings the MARS-H pretty close in price to Brownell's complete MWS considering Brownell's collects CA 10% tax

The DFC

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
White Bear Lake, MN
Pretty sure the MARS-H is considered an upgrade to the MWS as it has native ambidextrous bolt and magazine release. FWIW, Titan Defense didn't charge me sales tax on my purchase, so it actually brings the MARS-H pretty close in price to Brownell's complete MWS considering Brownell's collects CA 10% tax

it's the only lower that I know of that has a bolt catch on the right side. I consider it an upgrade for sure-even though I don't care about ambi anything as I learned on an M16A1 and A2. Nice to have though.

Centuriator

Hessian
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
It depends on which MWS you are talking about.

Every current LMT MWS model, except for the "Defender" comes with the MARS-H lower.

Consult LMT's website for more details and specs.

ltong29

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2019
it's the only lower that I know of that has a bolt catch on the right side. I consider it an upgrade for sure-even though I don't care about ambi anything as I learned on an M16A1 and A2. Nice to have though.
The current generation of KAC SR-25 and SR-15 rifles also have true ambi bolt and magazine releases as well. The KAC ambi controls look slightly different than the LMT ones, so I don't think they were developed by LMT and adopted by KAC or vice versa

It depends on which MWS you are talking about.

Every current LMT MWS model, except for the "Defender" comes with the MARS-H lower.

Consult LMT's website for more details and specs.
I was specifically referring to the price of the Brownell's complete MWS receiver, which looks like the non-ambi version. The current production L129A1 also has the non-ambi version since that's clone correct

LM308SSR-1600x441.png

Last edited:

Centuriator

Hessian
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
Well, regardless.....this thread makes me realize what a killer price I got on my LMT MWS with MARS-H lower from LMT when they had them on sale a while back. Glad I jumped on it while it was available.

The DFC

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
White Bear Lake, MN
The current generation of KAC SR-25 and SR-15 rifles also have true ambi bolt and magazine releases as well. The KAC ambi controls look slightly different than the LMT ones, so I don't think they were developed by LMT and adopted by KAC or vice versa

Bolt catch. KAC does not have a bolt catch on the right side.

ltong29

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2019
Yes that is a bolt release. It is however not a bolt catch. LMT MARS has catch and release bolt on right side-fully ambi.
Gotcha. So if you try to lock the bolt back with the KAC, you can only do so from the left?

LMT/556

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
USA
My whole point was for about $100 more you can get the ambi lower. I'm right handed but like using my trigger finger to release the bolt after inserting a fresh mag. I was weighing going the brownells route at 10% off and free shipping but elected to go ambi. I picked up a 308 sniper for $2300 last fall and liked that lower.