Leofoto tripods

Okay, so how does one make the 404C work with the TA-3? Or are we coming to the conclusion that such is not possible?

I have a 404C coming in the mail, as well as a TA-3. Sounding like I'm going to want to try to exchange?

I have been told that the universal leveling head will work with the 404C but I can confirm the TA-3 will not. I exchanged my 404C for the 364C. With as overbuilt as the 404C is I have no hesitation swapping. In fact, I kinda prefer to swap to save weight.

DP425

Nasty Nate
I have been told that the universal leveling head will work with the 404C but I can confirm the TA-3 will not. I exchanged my 404C for the 364C. With as overbuilt as the 404C is I have no hesitation swapping. In fact, I kinda prefer to swap to save weight.
Okay, thanks. I'll have to see if I can return and exchange.

Any ideas on one of their tripods for spotting scope use? Have the pistol grip heads totally fallen out of favor, or are they a good match for a spotter still?

Okay, thanks. I'll have to see if I can return and exchange.

Any ideas on one of their tripods for spotting scope use? Have the pistol grip heads totally fallen out of favor, or are they a good match for a spotter still?
If your running a reticle in your spotter for shooter corrections and weight and size aren't a huge issue try to get behind a good quality geared head. You can make amazingly precise adjustments and you corrections will seem to come faster.

Otherwise I prefer a good ball-head that locks up without the sagging of most pistol grips.

If your running a reticle in your spotter for shooter corrections and weight and size aren't a huge issue try to get behind a good quality geared head. You can make amazingly precise adjustments and you corrections will seem to come faster.

Otherwise I prefer a good ball-head that locks up without the sagging of most pistol grips.
Agreed. The Desmond / Demon ballheads that are available are a HUGE value. They make “inspired” models of popular brands. Check them out if you’re in the market and don’t want to spend a lot.

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
It's really a weight issue,

The Leofoto is pretty nicely built but weighs almost twice as much as the RRS of an equal size. (almost equal). Stability is very good though thanks to the weight and size.

The Leofoto is taller, but I like the controls, it's just very big. I am using their Leveling base that Bobby sent with it, and it works very well. I would just use their stuff to guarantee it works.

DP425

Nasty Nate
It's really a weight issue,

The Leofoto is pretty nicely built but weighs almost twice as much as the RRS of an equal size. (almost equal). Stability is very good though thanks to the weight and size.

The Leofoto is taller, but I like the controls, it's just very big. I am using their Leveling base that Bobby sent with it, and it works very well. I would just use their stuff to guarantee it works.
Which model Leofoto in particular are you talking about? Or are both the 404C and 364C heavy for their size?

DP425

Nasty Nate

Good tips. You have any idea what a good option for a geared head is? That won't break the bank anyway? Might be worth going that direction first.

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Both are heavier than the RRS by a good measure.

Spec wise, and this is just the legs, not including attachments

364C - 5.7 LBS
404C - 7.5 LBS

RRS 33 Series - 4.3 LBS
RRS 23 Series - 3.3 LBS
RRS 24 Series - 3.3 LBS

In your hand, it's quite noticeable, I have the 364C here, as well as Most of the RRS models (one note I am not using the L models)

Final Comparison

Hog Saddle

PRST - 4.1 LBS - CF
0311 - 5.6 LBS - AL

The 364C is a big tripod unless you are over 6FT tall it's a bit overkill the LS-324C appears to be the correct model for shooting. It's 3.1 LBS with a 33LBS weight rating. They have some solid lightweight smaller models vs going with the big heavy 75mm ball versions, just use the lighter ones with a standard ball head.

Last edited:

DP425

Nasty Nate
Both are heavier than the RRS by a good measure.

Spec wise, and this is just the legs, not including attachments

364C - 5.7 LBS
404C - 7.5 LBS

RRS 33 Series - 4.3 LBS
RRS 23 Series - 3.3 LBS
RRS 24 Series - 3.3 LBS

In your hand, it's quite noticeable, I have the 364C here, as well as Most of the RRS models (one note I am not using the L models)

Final Comparison

Hog Saddle

PRST - 4.1 LBS - CF
0311 - 5.6 LBS - AL

The 364C is a big tripod unless you are over 6FT tall it's a bit overkill the LS-324C appears to be the correct model for shooting. It's 3.1 LBS with a 33LBS weight rating. They have some solid lightweight smaller models vs going with the big heavy 75mm ball versions, just use the lighter ones with a standard ball head.
That is a good difference. But, should be tolerable on the 364C since I'm not really humping this stuff around these days, and I'm 6'3".

Going to have to investigate their lighter tripods that come with ball heads for my spotter. That sounds like perhaps the easiest route to go.

Thanks

That is a good difference. But, should be tolerable on the 364C since I'm not really humping this stuff around these days, and I'm 6'3".

Going to have to investigate their lighter tripods that come with ball heads for my spotter. That sounds like perhaps the easiest route to go.

Thanks
First, let me start by saying I am a bit jealous of your height.

The reason I brought up the heavy weight earlier:

A lot of people should consider however what that weight might mean when down stream 6 months or so. Let assume that you honed your bipod skills and want to use it in a match or maybe hunting... In either case, you'll generally be caring enough, be it water, ammo, rain gear, etc along with your tripod that you'll wish, really wish, the tripod was lighter. I love my RRS TVC-33 and mine comes in a bit heaver than my Feisol 3372. By the time I am all stacked up for hunting, I look at everything and often end up defaulting to my 3472 at 2.5lbs (no foam), even though the RSS-TVC-33 shoots so much better. I've seen others leave the tripods home because it all became to much. Remember you can always add weight with your pack hung for extra stability, but you can't make the yoke smaller or the legs lighter.

I had the an old Carbon Getzo that I think was about $2k and it was about the same weight as the 404. It was just way to heavy, the yoke to large. Packing it, or moving it with one hand while kneeling holding the gun (as in using a leg for rear support), is a more awkward task than it sounds, especially when the legs are all spread out.

My point is that while the differences may seem very small today, the weight differences really do, or might in the future, matter to someone and may limit were and how one uses it.

Last edited:

DP425

Nasty Nate
First, let me start by saying I am a bit jealous of your height.

The reason I brought up the heavy weight earlier:

A lot of people should consider however what that weight might mean when down stream 6 months or so. Let assume that you honed your bipod skills and want to use it in a match or maybe hunting... In either case, you'll generally be caring enough, be it water, ammo, rain gear, etc along with your tripod that you'll wish, really wish, the tripod was lighter. I love my RRS TVC-33 and mine comes in a bit heaver than my Feisol 3372. By the time I am all stacked up for hunting, I look at everything and often end up defaulting to my 3472 at 2.5lbs (no foam), even though the RSS-TVC-33 shoots so much better. I've seen others leave the tripods home because it all became to much. Remember you can always add weight with your pack hung for extra stability, but you can't make the yoke smaller or the legs lighter.

I had the an old Carbon Getzo that I think was about $2k and it was about the same weight as the 404. It was just way to heavy, the yoke to large. Packing it, or moving it with one hand while kneeling holding the gun (as in using a leg for rear support), is a more awkward task than it sounds, especially when the legs are all spread out.

My point is that while the differences may seem very small today, the weight differences really do, or might in the future, matter to someone and may limit were and how one uses it.
All valid points!

I think I’m honing in on the 364C for my normal shooting tripod, and I’ll see what they have, which could if need be, serve double duty as a spotter tripod and field shooting tripod, in the event I really, REALLY need to cut weight. Run a standard ball head and go with it.