Kinetic Research Group SOTIC?

Tris

Registered from New Zealand
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2018
Yeah that helps a lot, does it lighten the gun up a noticeable amount? I’m running a 22” broughton barrel so it probably won’t be too bad but I’d prefer it forward wise.
Honestly didn't really notice as I haven't spent a huge amount of time carrying or shooting off hand. (I got the Bravo as I was worried about bashing the folding stock on trees and stuff, more than the weight), but I've got the adjustable buttplate mechanism fitted to the Bravo rear as well which will add a little extra weight.

I'm not at home for the next few weeks or I'd weigh it for ya, but looking at the KRG website (under TRG accessories) the weight of the Bravo rear is approx 1.75lb and W-3/TRG folding end is 2.9lbs.

derek1ee

Private
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2017
@Tris that is an interesting idea. There's a lot of things to the rifle of course but when you put them all in a regular manual it gets so big that no one reads any of it. Put a little grease on your latches and that will help. You can also adjust the latching "bite" by loosening all the hinge screws (they are loctited) and repositioning a bit then tightening them all back down.

The SOTIC's shoot very well in our testing and from what customers say. There is not a lot more that could be done to a production rifle really. We're already EDM'ing the raceways and we polish the feedramp, the barrels are the best available, chamber rearmers are top quality, the trigger is nice, etc.

Thanks guys!
Justin
I'd be interested in an updated user manual/technical armory manual as well.

Reactions: Massoud

J-Hon

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 26, 2006
Dry Ridge, Ky
You know what might be easier/cheaper to do? Just create a new page on the KRG site for an 'advanced technical manual'. That would be just as (if not more) usable to me than a hard copy manual (which I could always print), and assumedly something that you could author just as easily as typing it up here on SH.

Definitely agree with the notion though. You guys did/do a great job at engineering a lot of adjustability into your products, but it's not always obvious on how to best use it.

Reactions: Massoud and Tris

supratt96

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 22, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Got my load dialed in, pretty good es/sd just gotta see how it does at range. 5 shot group @Massoud
140 eldm .025 off the lands
41.4gr rl-16
Hornady brass
CCI br-2 primer
Nice shooting!

I tried that exact same load a few days ago and also got very good accuracy. However, velocity was a bit disappointing; 2670 fps from a 22" barrel. That's about 90 fps slower than my normal "go to" load of 42.2 grains of H4350. I was thinking of bumping it up another 1/2 grain and see how that does.

Did you happen to chronograph your load?

never_summer

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
Nice shooting!

I tried that exact same load a few days ago and also got very good accuracy. However, velocity was a bit disappointing; 2670 fps from a 22" barrel. That's about 90 fps slower than my normal "go to" load of 42.2 grains of H4350. I was thinking of bumping it up another 1/2 grain and see how that does.

Did you happen to chronograph your load?
Yeah I ran 15 rounds over a magneto speed sporter after doing some groups with it. Had an sd=9 and es=18, but it was also ammo I loaded at 1am prior to a match I didn’t go to haha. I’d like to get it a little tighter, but my velocity avg = 2698 FPS.
I’m also on my fifth reloading of Hornady brass and everything looks to be holding up, so that’s one good thing about not running it hot.

Last edited:

DJL2

Talon 6
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
Well, I finally had some nice, uninterrupted range time today. It was enough to "burn" my two boxes of Federal GMM w/ 130 gn Berger hybrids. It's nice having a rifle/ammo combination for which a 400 yd shot is more or less trivial - if anyone knows a extended rifle range around Columbus, GA let me know.

The only notable thing, now that I'm at around ~250 rounds on the barrel, is my oddball velocity issues continuing. Today's WX was around 55 deg F, 60% humidity, ~741 feet elevation. Versus a published MV of 2875, I saw:
Shots - 10; MVavg - 2721; MVmin/max - 2665/2773 (ES - 108...wtf?); SD - 30.6.
On the bright side, that SD/ES really helps me to appreciate the Hornady factory stuff. The downside, of course, is giving up 165 fps versus published. I still need to crunch numbers, maybe re-chrono the 140.

There was a lot of synergy today at the range - this load shoots a trajectory identical (or near enough to 400 yards) to the 178 gn ELD-X (factory) I was shooting out of my M70 (which was right on Hornady's predicted POI). It also shot to the same POI as the 140 gn SIG OTM I'd last fired in Florida a week or two ago. It shot to the same POI w/bag, bipod and Magnetospeed. I didn't take any group/POI photos...mostly because I seem to be a terrible shot (heh). Just thought that was some interesting KRG magic.

Edit to add:
Had a break in the weather, so out I went. Just continuing "burning" some of my on hand stuff.
Factory 147 ELD-M - 2585 fps (so, picked up a few)
SIG 140 gn OTM - 2640 fps
Factory 129 SST Superformance - 2855 fps

Order of fire started w/ 15 rounds of SIG (finished the box). The first five went into ~.5 MOA @ 200 yds, clean/cold bore was about an inch left, or the group would have been tight indeed. 6-15 were ~.8 MOA because three shots went high. Could be heat, could be the MSV3 messing with things. POI didn't really shift much w/ the MSV3. The 147 ELD-M went into ~ .75 MOA...with a low flyer (I didn't call it, but that doesn't mean as much as it should). The 147 ELD-M was about 1.5 inches high versus the SIG. The POI is very close between the SIG and the GMM.

Last edited: