Keto Weight Loss Plateau

Imabballer

The Accountant
Mar 14, 2018
Oklahoma
I'm 34 and had been gaining weight gradually since high school. I was an athlete in high school and in very good shape and after school ended and real life with work, marriage, kids, etc happened I started gaining weight. I 6'1" and weighed about 185 in high school and I had got up to around 220 and stayed there for several years until I started gaining again a few years ago. This June I got up to my all time high of 261, and knew I had to make changes. I started the keto diet at the beginning of July and have gone from 261 down to my current weight of 226. I saw a very rapid weight loss the first month and a half and then it has gradually slowed until now, where I have been at roughly the same weight for a couple weeks now with no change at all.

Have any of you on keto experienced one of these "plateaus" like this before? If so how did you get out of it? My goal weight is 200, I would still have a little fat at that weight but would be pretty slim and healthy. I'm worried these last 25 pounds are going to be really hard to get off. I assume my metabolism has slowed to the point where my calorie deficit isn't doing much for me anymore, but I already feel like I am eating about as few calories as I can get away with. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Nov 28, 2009
Tonto Basin, Az.
Have you added anything new into your diet that may have hidden carbs? Are your macronutrients still in check? Do you check regular and are you in ketosis still? We found that actually having a cheat meal not a day but one meal every couple weeks actually helped the weight lose start again. The gf had reached a stall on hers and it really seemed to help plus it makes you feel good to have a reward of carbs haha... It seems after the first initial weight lose things seem to slow to about 1.5 pounds per week average

Jun 12, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
For the love of God, keep it up! It’ll come off. What’s your exercise routine? Im either walking (2 miles in 40 min) or in the gym every day of the week. I dropped 100lbs in 6 months. I was well over 380lbs, now I’m down to my 220’s and content. Like Vinnie said, make sure you don’t have any hidden carbs. Use a keto macro app like Keto.app keto diet tracker. I only keep track of net carbs. Things like zucchini have a lot of carbs in them. I on occasion go all carnivore for 1-2 weeks to give my body a break. Don’t forget to drink water like nothing else matters! D2467E31-8EE5-4D3C-9017-0FC4264B6C15.jpeg Keep up the great work!

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 6, 2011
MA
I seem to be stuck at 186.75.

Thats down 20 or so pounds since starting this in February.

I either have to start feeling hunger pains or increase workout intensity/duration to lose more.

I believe my body is telling me this is my healthy weight.

Why suffer the discomfort of hunger or risk stress injury at 50 yoa if there is no need?

There is the shadow of a 6 pack sheathed in a layer of emergency rations.

If you can check out your belt buckle without the need of two hands to raise the gunt dont sweat it.

What do you want to be some sort of skinny jeans wearing effeminate?

Enjoy you some fresh berries smothered in whip cream fresh whipped by the home mixer! add a little pure vanilla to taste!

Last edited:

OLD308

Sergeant of the Hide
Jun 8, 2018
Dieting or better said, body weight manipulation, is a journey. Adding muscle or loosing fat takes time and effort. Your body is fighting you all the way, stalling out is part of the process. It’s your body fighting you for a stable state. Check your blood sugar and ketone levels. Net carbs is a trap most fall in. Some people are more sensitive than others. If you spend the time and money to sign up for PubMed, you learn the true Keto diet from the scientific experiments and studies. Not the regular crap on the internet. In the medical journals, no direct carbs of any sort are allowed. Except for the fiber found in green vegetables. This is because you can not accurately count carbs. Use your blood sugar meter to check your response to the foods you eat. Most people that stall on Keto are not eating enough fat, or are grossly over eating. It’s not a free for all. PM me if you need more help. Stick with it!

Jun 5, 2014
The initial weight drop of a ketogenic diet is mostly water as the ketogenic diet has a diuretic effect. From there on out the fat lost should be slow and steady. It didn't say in your initial post if you are exercising regularly. If not, this should be your next step. 3 days a week full body basic 5x5 workout routine is all you need. Adding some muscle will raise your basil metabolic rate. Give yourself a re-feed meal once a week. Lastly, dont become obsessed with numbers on the scale. It can become counter productive. Focus on how you look and feel. Take progress pictures to use as motivation and also to see how far you have come as it's easy to forget.

oneisnone

New Hide Member
Apr 30, 2018
North Dallas, TX
The initial weight drop of a ketogenic diet is mostly water as the ketogenic diet has a diuretic effect. From there on out the fat lost should be slow and steady. It didn't say in your initial post if you are exercising regularly. If not, this should be your next step. 3 days a week full body basic 5x5 workout routine is all you need. Adding some muscle will raise your basil metabolic rate. Give yourself a re-feed meal once a week. Lastly, dont become obsessed with numbers on the scale. It can become counter productive. Focus on how you look and feel. Take progress pictures to use as motivation and also to see how far you have come as it's easy to forget.

Great advice! I'm down 55lbs in 4 months following Keto and busting my ass in the gym and on the track.

May 17, 2005
CA
I usually stall out around the 8-12 week mark when I go back on keto. For me, it lasts 3-5 weeks, but then the fat really starts falling off. I"m 6'4", and my body really likes 230 lbs. Once I start getting south of there, it's a freefall to around 210.

One common mistake is overdoing protein and not ingesting enough fat. Too much protein can kick you out of ketosis.