Kestrel 5700 firmware update

smgamm

Private
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Edina Mo
Hello all,

I have had my kestrel for 2 years and haven’t done an update in a while. It’s a 5700 kestrel with Link running firmware rev 1.15. I am trying to update from an iPhone 11 through the “Kestrel LiNK Ballistics”. The app wants to update to rev 1.27 which is a big jump. I am hoping I’m not too far out of date to get this done. Below are two screen shots of the messages I receive. The first is to acknowledge the update need, and the second is the error I get. When I watch the kestrel I see the Bluetooth sign or watch on setting and see it has a connected status. Until about 5% and retrieving gun profiles, it loses connection.
I haven’t seen any discussions around this. Please send help!

B82F438F-E195-4148-ABC1-BAF04281A258.png

E38C7D60-BE73-4C8E-AF49-2B5B31862DA4.png

1hectorivan3

BiggBeans
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Kansas
Had the same issue with mine. Disconnected from wifi, reconnected and then it worked for some reason. I have also had issues whenever trying to perform the update and using cellular data (no wifi). So make sure your wifi is working good. Dont know if it will help you at all. But i had the same messages and it worked for me.

Reactions: seansmd

smgamm

Private
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Edina Mo
Had the same issue with mine. Disconnected from wifi, reconnected and then it worked for some reason. I have also had issues whenever trying to perform the update and using cellular data (no wifi). So make sure your wifi is working good. Dont know if it will help you at all. But i had the same messages and it worked for me.
i tried what you said and had no luck. I tried wifi only, cell data only, both, restarted phone and restarted kestre. It’s not going any further. Thanks for your quick reply.

Palmetto-Pride

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
May 27, 2014
32.752325 -79.867804
Few things I always do is close out all other apps, put my phone in airplane mode then manually turn on wifi and bluetooth only, make sure the phone is plugged into a charger. If you have a secondary or backup ios device like another phone or ipad you could try dumping your saved rifle profiles on one of them then delete the profiles on the Kestrel also after that you could try doing a factory reset on the Kestrel then try updating the firmware. I have noticed that when I don't have any saved rifle profiles on the Kestrel the updates seem to go a lot quicker........Good Luck!

smgamm

Private
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Edina Mo
Few things I always do is close out all other apps, put my phone in airplane mode then manually turn on wifi and bluetooth only, make sure the phone is plugged into a charger. If you have a secondary or backup ios device like another phone or ipad you could try dumping your saved rifle profiles on one of them then delete the profiles on the Kestrel also after that you could try doing a factory reset on the Kestrel then try updating the firmware. I have noticed that when I don't have any saved rifle profiles on the Kestrel the updates seem to go a lot quicker........Good Luck!
Factory reset was the trick! It only took 25 minutes following the rest of your suggestions as well. Has anyone had it prohibit updates because the kestrel didn’t have enough battery?

Reactions: Palmetto-Pride

Palmetto-Pride

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
May 27, 2014
32.752325 -79.867804
Has anyone had it prohibit updates because the kestrel didn’t have enough battery?
That is another good point....I always make sure I have a fresh battery when doing a firmware update. If the battery went tits up in the middle of the firmware update I don't know if the Kestrel would resort back to its last fully installed firmware or if it would turn it into a cool paper weight.

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I'll add that the easiest way to ensure smooth FW updates is to drop the coin on the optical-to-USB cable. I can do FW updates in well under 5 minutes using that cable and the desktop application.

smgamm

Private
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Edina Mo
Hollywood once I got it going the update was easy enough. My issue for now is getting gun profiles from the iPhone app to the kestrel. I haven’t had time to mess too much with that.