It's College Baseball season fellas

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Holy hell is it good to be back. After coming up short last year in the semi-finals in Omaha and then the coaching change. I'm surprised at how good this squad is looking. It's early but if Small and Ginn keep this up this team is looking like possibly the best duo we've had since 13. We've never had a one two punch as good as Small or Ginn since i've been watching. Especially Ginn the kid is a freak. Freshman who was the 30th overall pick to the dodgers, he is insanely good.
Kids got swag but shit...his stuff is insanely good.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Crazy weekend for sure. I was pretty distraught after losing game one. Should've been a sweep. Bullpen has been letting us down lately and the lack of a Sunday starter is a concern. Finishing games is still skeptical as well. I mean you couldn't ask for a better 1/2 punch with Small & Ginn right now, but we've got to close games.

Snipe260

Private
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
True. Looks like they are in need of good closer and set up man!

Kir

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Sparks, NV
USC had some good teams when I was growing up and more recently, the UCLA women's softball teams have been awesome.

However, I can't wait for MLB to begin as I am anxious to see what the ANGELS are going to put on the field along with Mike Trout and his 400+ million contract. GO ANGELS …………. GO DODGERS (they are in the other league, so I can root for both!!!)

Maggot

Laffin atcha unowho
Belligerents
Jul 27, 2007
I see Virginia is only 16-10 this year...quite a drop from winning it all a couple years back.

Kir

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Sparks, NV
Besides USC, (being from SOCAL now living in N. NV) I root for my alma mater, the Uni of NV! GO WOLFPACK!

Jmcmath

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2018
East
Sigh tough weak for my heels dropping to freaking Pitt. Would be nice to beat NC State.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Sigh tough weak for my heels dropping to freaking Pitt. Would be nice to beat NC State.
I haven't kept up with the Heels much this year but they were solid last year i was really surprised we beat y'all at Omaha. That pitcher was throwing straight cheese up until Westburg turned on the Grand Slam.

WATERWALKER

0311 SHELLBACK
Belligerents
Apr 19, 2014
Deep in the Lone Star
I’ve had a chance to take in a few more college games this year than in the last few years combined. The top 25 teams (schools) have really been shaken up a bit. WTF happened to the ‘Horns? They used to have such a great program?

I remember a time when you could pretty accurately predict the top 20 schools every year. If I’d had to choose this year I would’ve only guessed 8 - 10 of the top 25.

The best game I’ve seen this year has been Ohio St vs McNeese. Ohio St won 8-8 in 13 innings.

8pointer

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018
Good gravy WAR EAGLE that walk off was insanely fun. What a feeling for Stevie on the road 0-2....2 outs.....2 on.....crushed....ticket to Regional Finals.

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Good gravy WAR EAGLE that walk off was insanely fun. What a feeling for Stevie on the road 0-2....2 outs.....2 on.....crushed....ticket to Regional Finals.
I was eating downtown about 100 yards from Toomers with some buddies and just got out of my mouth... wouldnt it be sweet if Auburn cranked on right here... I kid you not. Had to be Rod helping us out.

Snipe260

Private
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
I was eating downtown about 100 yards from Toomers with some buddies and just got out of my mouth... wouldnt it be sweet if Auburn cranked on right here... I kid you not. Had to be Rod helping us out.
Sorry for the loss beenjammin!

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Auburn is in the supers man they won. I'm just glad to see Mangum back dude was ice cold until we played the canes and it was concerning. Couple of moments scared me but overall we're looking good. Ginn not being able to start is probably the most concerning aspect of State right now, that and timely hitting. I'll be going this weekend for game one for sure.

8pointer

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018
Yea that game was just unreal. I'd like to think there was a bit of Kick 6 happening there from Rod. I'm coming back for the A&M game this year it's been 15 years...last game was UGA 2004....what a team 4 guys in the top 25 picks. Ronnie, Caddy, Carlos and Jason....I'm pumped I miss Auburn.

WATERWALKER

0311 SHELLBACK
Belligerents
Apr 19, 2014
Deep in the Lone Star
Did y’all see this? I didn’t see the game, but heard about it while looking at the LSU game. I think this bears mention. LSU lost their game to FSU, which brings their season to an end.

Rocker saves Vandy's year with no-hitter, 19 K's

ESPN News Services
11:05 AM ET5 Minute Read
Vanderbilt's Rocker pitches no-hitter, striking out 19 batters
Vanderbilt's Rocker pitches no-hitter, striking out 19 battersKumar Rocker completes a no-hitter vs. Duke in the Nashville Super Regional, striking out 19 for the first individual no-hitter by a Vanderbilt pitcher since 1971.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Vanderbilt coach Tim Corbin worried when Kumar Rocker came off the mound after a first inning when the freshman pitcher hit Duke center fielder Kennie Taylor with a pitch near the left eye.

Taylor returned to the Duke dugout after a trip to a hospital for tests.

Rocker settled down and pitched the eighth no-hitter in NCAA tournament history striking out a career-high 19 as Vanderbilt beat Duke 3-0 on Saturday night to force the Nashville Super Regional to a deciding third game.

Corbin called Rocker's reaction after hitting Taylor the pivotal moment, something most players can't rebound from during a game. Corbin said he was glad to see Taylor was OK.

"For Kumar, when he came off the field you could tell he was a little bit shaken,'' Corbin said. "When he comes in, he slams my hand every time. He comes in, and he didn't. I was thinking I hope he can get through that moment and he did.''

Rocker tied his previous career best through five innings with 10 strikeouts, and he retired 13 of 15 Duke batters throwing 99 mph in the first inning and 97 mph in the ninth. He struck out four in the fifth with one of the batters he struck out reaching first base on a third strike wild pitch. Rocker walked only two and threw 131 pitches with 89 of those being strikes.

Rocker just wants to win
Rocker just wants to win
Pitcher Kumar Rocker describes his emotions after throwing Vanderbilt's first individual no-hitter since 1971.

"Whenever we got that one run, I was like 'All right. I got to go shut 'em down so like we can keep this game rolling, we can get out of here with a win,''' Rocker said. "Got past that inning, and I just kept rolling from there.''

Rocker (10-5) had not thrown more than 105 pitches in a game, but Corbin said the 6-foot-4, 255-pound pitcher deserved to finish. Rocker struck out the side swinging in the bottom of the ninth. He walked off the mound and bumped fists with catcher Philip Clarke before being mobbed by teammates.

"The eighth [inning] was the one I had to get over,'' Rocker said. "The ninth came. I said 'I'm here, I might as well do it.'''

Said Clarke: "I have the best view of Kumar pitching in the whole park, so just try not to take that for granted, just try to work with him and help him get whatever he needs to reach that milestone. It's pretty awesome.''

It was the first no-hitter in the NCAA tournament since Florida's Jonathon Crawford blanked Bethune-Cookman on June 1, 2012, and the first since the super regional round was instituted in 1999. It also was the first no-hitter by a Vandy pitcher since Doug Wessel did it to Belmont on April 19, 1971.

Rocker also set a school record for strikeouts in an NCAA tournament game, topping David Price's 17 against Austin Peay on June 1, 2007. Price, now with the Boston Red Sox, noted Rocker was trying to keep the Commodores' season alive.

Now Vanderbilt (53-11) will play Duke on Sunday as it tries to reach its fourth College World Series and first since 2015. Duke (35-26) hasn't been to the CWS since 1961.

"Candidly, Kumar Rocker was just better than us tonight,'' Duke coach Chris Pollard said.

Taylor went down in the first inning after being hit and the sellout crowd was silent while trainers treated him. Fans gave Taylor a standing ovation when he sat up, then stayed silent until he stood up and walked off the field. Taylor was back in the dugout icing the left side of his face by the eighth inning.

"We got a good report,'' Pollard said.

Damon Lux replaced him as a runner, and Rocker struck out Matt Mervis with Clarke throwing out Lux at second.

Bryce Jarvis, MVP of the Morgantown Regional after striking out 11 for Duke, grew up a Vanderbilt fan in Franklin, Tennessee, south of Nashville. Jarvis (5-2) struck out nine through seven innings.

With two out in the fifth, Ethan Paul singled, stole second and then advanced to third on a wild pitch by Jarvis. He scored when Clarke poked a single into right field for the only run Rocker needed. Pat DeMarco thought he had a two-run home run to follow only to be robbed by Lux with a great catch at the wall.

Rocker struck out the side in the fifth, though Ethan Murray reached base on a pitch Clarke couldn't handle. That also set a Vanderbilt record for most strikeouts in a super regional game, topping Carson Fulmer's nine against Stanford in 2014.

Vanderbilt scored two runs in the eighth on a sacrifice fly by Stephen Scott and a squeeze bunt by Julian Infante.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Last edited:

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
I wish some of our bracket had been on the other side.. Auburn, MSU, Vandy, Louisville on our side...fuckkkk that's a tough one.

WATERWALKER

0311 SHELLBACK
Belligerents
Apr 19, 2014
Deep in the Lone Star
I looked at the opening game of the CWS yesterday & Michigan (my home state) looked really good in their win against Texas Tech. Kauffman & Criswell (U of M (starter & closer) looked really sharp, threw some gas (96 MPH) w/ good secondary pitches.

I never thought I’d see Michigan in the CWS. I grew up a ‘Horns fan, but apparently their baseball program isn’t what it used to be.

Reactions: Snipe260

la angler

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2018
I'm in NC all our teams got knocked out last week. I guess I will pull for the ACC teams in it

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Merry Christmas Mississippi State.... We must have been paid to take a dive like that. All Julien has to do was tag the runner that was already directly in front of him. Didnt even need to make that horrible throw. What a choke...

We have the national championship in 2013, we beat Virginia a few months ago, and now this.... Im know why the Cubs felt cursed all those years now......

Well... we woulda had Vandy next anyways.. Good luck with them State.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Well... we woulda had Vandy next anyways.. Good luck with them State.
Yeah as much as it pains me i'm not sure any of us are up to that task. We really need Small to beat them. Y'all had that game in the bag idk what happened other than caught up in the moment. Dunno why he didn't tag Mac. That said that kid was pretty much the reason y'all were in the lead the entire game.

As for us i think maybe stanford was overrated. I thought we were finally back and yesterday looked more like the SEC tourney. Out hitting our opponents yet no runs to show for it. Not that Owens didn't throw well but i certainly didn't think he through a gem like Campbell or Parish did in their game one. I thought he managed and nothing would go our way. Gotta quit stranding runners.

But honestly JT will have to have the best outing of his life if we're to beat Vandy. Good luck to y'all with Louisville man, while i obviously didn't wanna lose last night, i think Butch is dear to most of us over here. Class act, and a great coach.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
We’re starting the beginning of the end bud. We don’t win this game we don’t have a shot in hell. Down 6-3 cause some dumbass on our coaching staff put in Riley self has a 14.48 era and I’ve watched him give up homerun after homerun after he leaves that cutter hanging. So fucking frustrated.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi

Maggot

Laffin atcha unowho
Belligerents
Jul 27, 2007
Damnit man if there was one team that i really wanted to win besides us. It was the Noles. To see Mike go out with a championship would be an instant classic and 30 for 30. Freaking dusty in here and i'm not even a noles fan. My cousin went there i've been to a football game thoroughly enjoyed the place.
Well youve always got Shaggy ..... :rolleyes: :p

I wonder what ever happened to that one?

WATERWALKER

0311 SHELLBACK
Belligerents
Apr 19, 2014
Deep in the Lone Star
Tonight is Game 1 of the 2019 CWS! Who’s watching? I never thought I’d see U of M make it this far, & I’m not a Vandy fan so this one is easy. I can’t believe I’m saying in my head “Go Blue!” but I am.

ChrisAU

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
SE Alabama
Couldn’t believe Auburn made it, Coach Thompson is putting in work. Hopefully we go back next year!