IR and Lasers for NVG

There was a rather long thread on M4C about IR. I think the consensus was the IR illuminator being adjustable for elevation and windage along w spot to flood was a better option over the ATIPAL-C.

While the BE Meyers device is an amazing device, its price point is twice that of a DBAL-A3, which is still about $1,300 retail. It will be intresting to see what the DBAL-A4 will bring, IF it gets released this summer.

While the BE Meyers device is an amazing device, its price point is twice that of a DBAL-A3, which is still about $1,300 retail. It will be intresting to see what the DBAL-A4 will bring, IF it gets released this summer.
This is where I'm at. I'll be in the market for another laser/illuminator this year. The a3 and mk4 light is a slick setup except the ir illuminator. The d2 illuminator is amazing except for its chunkiness.

I've been running the DBAL-A3 for almost 3 years now with a pair of ANVIS-9's (high spec Pinnacle tube build), the DBAL-A3 works well for it's intended use. With just the ANVIS goggles I can see the 0.7 MW LASER clearly out to 800M (in super dark area's of Wyoming and Colorado) The IR illuminator is good to 75 or so M. I also have a INTENS tubed PVS-30 and I can pick up the LASER out to beyond 1200M and the illuminator out to roughly 300M, but this is well beyond the usefulness of the DBAL-A3 illuminator as there are large shadows that have formed in the corona at this point. I have only been using the PVS-30 for almost two months now, it is a great improvement over my ability to target with just goggles. I have learned a lot with the PVS-30, but I still have a fair learning to do with this device. I have not had the chance to use the SPIR, DBAL-D2 or the Luna illuminators.

The illuminator helps when looking into shadows, and this is mostly what I use it for. The illuminator is also useful for spotting scraggly brush or heavy grass near my position when shooting from the prone to reduce my chances of this disturbing the early flight of my shot. The downside to using the illuminator when shooting with an AR based gun, is that after the first few shots the oil and burnt gas plume picks up and scatters every bit of the IR light in a massive halo around me, preventing me from seeing beyond a few feet, until the cloud dissipates, which is normally just a few seconds. This is with a suppressor on the rifles, and it does not happen when the illuminator is off, so it's not a function the goggles or the PVS30 bluming out. Even when shooting coyote's that are under brush I find that I will only use the illuminator to improve my ID of the pest and then turn off the illuminator and send it. I don't have a spare IR illuminator to put on my spotting scope to see if a few feet of added distance from my muzzle would reduce this issue.

The real challenge that I face when shooting much beyond 400M at night is solid ranging of the target to set my drop. When target shooting at night, it is much less of a problem as I can just Mil the target and then figure out my hold or dial the drop, as time is on my side.

In closing TANSTAFL when it comes to shooting with precision in the dark. LASERS and illuminators help, but they also have downsides.

If I'm using the illuminator on my d2 I'm usually standing and firing at pigs in large groups I generally keep moving forward with every shot. It helps keep the gas cloud behind the illuminator. Doesn't work for every situation.

For long shots with a clip on over flat ground a full power laser based illuminator like the Luna works best for me. The d2 and some other led illuminator said will get there no problem but there is so much spill in front of the target that it obscures it. I can dial the Luna in exactly where, what size and how much illumination I need. I removed the allen adjustment screws for aiming and put thumbscrews on mine. Works well for what it is.

This is where I'm at. I'll be in the market for another laser/illuminator this year. The a3 and mk4 light is a slick setup except the ir illuminator. The d2 illuminator is amazing except for its chunkiness.
It's worth noting the D2 uses a LED illuminator instead of a laser illuminator. If detectable signature is a concern then it's an issue. Obviously the LED gets around the limits imposed on civilian IR lasers, but there is a trade off.