Hornady Precision Hunter Steel Challenge

RBERGER82

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2019
Well FML.........I hope Montana can get a match like this going. Thanks for trying.
Neither one are classed as hunter matches, but check out the PRS and NRL matches that Warhorse Development is putting on in Dupuyer MT in June and September!!

RBERGER82

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2019
Thanks I will.
Kyle
Chas does a hellnof a match, and he didnt have any "gimmicky" stages at last years. Shooting off natural props, the movers were really well though out. I was an RO last year and am working them both this year too.
Ryan

Reactions: sstacllc

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
If you can carry it on/in your pack you can bring it, is that the idea? So if I strap a tripod to my pack, would that be a benefit during some stages?

jwknutson17

Big Game Hunter
Belligerents
Apr 29, 2017
Colorado
So if that's the case with the tripod, this works for a bipod also? Weigh my rifle without it, and once the match starts attach it to my rifle to shoot with??

Ordnance Locker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
So if that's the case with the tripod, this works for a bipod also? Weigh my rifle without it, and once the match starts attach it to my rifle to shoot with??
Nice try, but no. Bipods are considered a permanent fixture, as most people have them affixed all the time. A tripod is not something most would walk around with attached to the rifle.

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Yup, and you'll definitely want a tripod.
I have some more questions as well, jwk brings up a good point, you're saying we should bring a tripod but this attaches to the rifle just like a bipod does, so the tripod will also go towards the weight of the rifle just like the bipod does? And what about the rail attached pillows and bags they have out, are those also considered toward the weight of the rifle?

Also, originally this sounded like a great opportunity for me to bring my son and shoot with him, but he has very little experience with long range shooting and I thought I would get the opportunity to coach him like we would if we were in the field together; however, I need to have a better understanding of how the match will play out as Scott told me that sharing equipment would be "impossible" with the way the match is designed, so my question is if it will be impossible to share equipment then I am assuming I will not even be able to be near my son which would not be what I was expecting. I was hoping this match would be designed in a way that if two shooters were in the field together on a hunt, they could help each other out, but now it sounds like each stage will be completely independent - meaning no other shooters around so if that's the case I'm not sure this would be the best situation for my son.

Sorry for all the questions but before I put down $250 plus accommodations, etc. I want to make sure this is going to be a beneficial experience for my son.

If someone has ever shot one of these matches before and can shed some light I would sure appreciate it.

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Nice try, but no. Bipods are considered a permanent fixture, as most people have them affixed all the time. A tripod is not something most would walk around with attached to the rifle.
I see, so it's whatever we would normally carry around on the rifle itself that contributes to the weight, but ammo and magazine do not even though we would normally carry that around on the rifle? So if a suppressor puts my rifle over a weight class, then I can decide not to bring a suppressor in order to stay within that weight class even though I would normally have that in the field?

Ordnance Locker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
I have some more questions as well, jwk brings up a good point, you're saying we should bring a tripod but this attaches to the rifle just like a bipod does, so the tripod will also go towards the weight of the rifle just like the bipod does? And what about the rail attached pillows and bags they have out, are those also considered toward the weight of the rifle?

Also, originally this sounded like a great opportunity for me to bring my son and shoot with him, but he has very little experience with long range shooting and I thought I would get the opportunity to coach him like we would if we were in the field together; however, I need to have a better understanding of how the match will play out as Scott told me that sharing equipment would be "impossible" with the way the match is designed, so my question is if it will be impossible to share equipment then I am assuming I will not even be able to be near my son which would not be what I was expecting. I was hoping this match would be designed in a way that if two shooters were in the field together on a hunt, they could help each other out, but now it sounds like each stage will be completely independent - meaning no other shooters around so if that's the case I'm not sure this would be the best situation for my son.

Sorry for all the questions but before I put down $250 plus accommodations, etc. I want to make sure this is going to be a beneficial experience for my son.

If someone has ever shot one of these matches before and can shed some light I would sure appreciate it.
No, the tripod does not go towards the weight, nor do pillows or bags etc., for the very reason I stated above, because people do not typically walk with those items attached to their rifles. In regards to having your son shoot the match with the match parameters as they are, equipment sharing isn't viable in this situation, since the stages will shot be blind. That mean in order for you to share equipment, you'd have to shoot the stage, then after go to another shooter (your son), and hand it off, where you could then be in an unfair opportunity to share strategy after you shot that stage. I can totally appreciate trying to get your kid involved, but for this match, it might not be practical. I'll talk to Scott, however, and see what he has to say about it.

Ordnance Locker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
I see, so it's whatever we would normally carry around on the rifle itself that contributes to the weight, but ammo and magazine do not even though we would normally carry that around on the rifle? So if a suppressor puts my rifle over a weight class, then I can decide not to bring a suppressor in order to stay within that weight class even though I would normally have that in the field?
The unloaded magazine is calculated into the weight, ammo is not. And as for your suppressor, if it puts you over the weight rule, then yes, you have to leave it at home. The 16lb rule is based off of the Idaho State hunting rule, and much like that law, our weight rules for the match are not open for debate.

jwknutson17

Big Game Hunter
Belligerents
Apr 29, 2017
Colorado
It's a simple question. Not sure why the nice try responce. A bipod with a ARCA attachment and a tripod with a ARCA attachment are different how? Besides the amount of legs. Just curious and trying to understand the rules. And no, I dont hunt with either unless it's some very unique setup with no hiking involved.

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
No, the tripod does not go towards the weight, nor do pillows or bags etc., for the very reason I stated above, because people do not typically walk with those items attached to their rifles. In regards to having your son shoot the match with the match parameters as they are, equipment sharing isn't viable in this situation, since the stages will shot be blind. That mean in order for you to share equipment, you'd have to shoot the stage, then after go to another shooter (your son), and hand it off, where you could then be in an unfair opportunity to share strategy after you shot that stage. I can totally appreciate trying to get your kid involved, but for this match, it might not be practical. I'll talk to Scott, however, and see what he has to say about it.
I appreciate your honesty OL and I certainly don't expect you and Scott to change the rules just to accommodate my situation, I think I need to find some type of "team" challenge where my son and I can team up together, that would be a lot more ideal at least for this stage and once he is a lot more confident on his own we can entertain this.

Covertnoob5

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Feb 12, 2017
SoCal

Just thinking out loud here, but perhaps in the case of sharing gear, maybe it’s a situation where @wjm308 can hand whatever gear (tripod for example) to the RO to give to his son. That way there’s no extra financial component to the match such as having to buy and extra (insert gear) for his son to use and vice versa.

@wjm308 yea now that I see it’s all blind stages (tons of fun!) that means no shooter will be able to see the shooting CoF before it’s their turn. To prevent unfair advantages and hints on how to shoot it, target location, etc. I guess you could classify it as a “solo hunting match” more than a “team hunting match”

As far as coaching on the clock, yea that’s tough, PRS/NRL and a lot of other outlaw matches don’t allow for this. Something like a RTC match might be a good way to start but those are definitely a bit more rucking and there’s no weight caliber restrictions so you’ll be outclassed by those of us that will and do carry 18+lbs 6mm guns in field matches. Other than that, those would be a little more along your line of what you’re looking for if we’re on the same page.

Ordnance Locker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
It's a simple question. Not sure why the nice try responce. A bipod with a ARCA attachment and a tripod with a ARCA attachment are different how? Besides the amount of legs. Just curious and trying to understand the rules. And no, I dont hunt with either unless it's some very unique setup with no hiking involved.
If it was just a simple question, then you wouldn't be debating it now, which I knew you were leading into, ego my "nice try." Your average person walks around with their bipod attached, not a tripod. One is also practical to walk around with attached, and the other is clearly not. The method of attachment is irrelevant and semantics to the point at hand. While you personally may not walk around with a bipod on, that is not the norm for many other hunters.

Here's the thing, if anyone is reading the rules and already looking to find angles or debate them so they can game it, then this match probably isn't for you. We want to have a fun match, different from the norm of competition rifle shooting, period. @wjm308 , I will talk to Scott, as I do understand the equipment issue, and perhaps there's something we can figure out.

Ordnance Locker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
Just thinking out loud here, but perhaps in the case of sharing gear, maybe it’s a situation where @wjm308 can hand whatever gear (tripod for example) to the RO to give to his son. That way there’s no extra financial component to the match such as having to buy and extra (insert gear) for his son to use and vice versa.
I was thinking the same thing. I just need to run it by Scott, since he's the MD and the logistics side of everything. I'm just the post pounder lol.

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Thank you OL, again, I understand the situation, even if we found a way to share some equipment, because he's shooting entirely on his own I'm not sure that would be the best situation for him as he is brand new to the sport. I think we should look for something a bit more team oriented but appreciate the willingness to try to accommodate.

jwknutson17

Big Game Hunter
Belligerents
Apr 29, 2017
Colorado
If it was just a simple question, then you wouldn't be debating it now, which I knew you were leading into, ego my "nice try." Your average person walks around with their bipod attached, not a tripod. One is also practical to walk around with attached, and the other is clearly not. The method of attachment is irrelevant and semantics to the point at hand. While you personally may not walk around with a bipod on, that is not the norm for many other hunters.

Here's the thing, if anyone is reading the rules and already looking to find angles or debate them so they can game it, then this match probably isn't for you. We want to have a fun match, different from the norm of competition rifle shooting, period. @wjm308 , I will talk to Scott, as I do understand the equipment issue, and perhaps there's something we can figure out.

I'm not gaming anything. In fact its quiet the opposite. I don't shoot PRS or any other fancy matches and my Hunting rifle is less then 12 lbs. I am a hunter and an avid outdoorsman that likes to shoot. Never completed in any shooting event in my life. A hunting challange appealed to me against other hunters. My rifle would be barely over 12 lbs "if" I put on a suppressor and a bipod. I am trying to understand why give the advantage to the guy with some 1000 dollar tripod that he slaps his rifle on, and the guy who wants to throw on a bipod instead it counts towards his weight. But not the other way around. But hey, your rules. Hiking around out here in the west for big game with a bipod is definitely not the normal. Maybe a few out of a 100 that I run across every year out here. In the south and east where you aren't putting in the miles, sure.

What I'm getting at is I dont want to show up to a "Hunting" challenge where it seems it's just going to be tailored to other types of shooters and gear. Guys can show up with his PRS rifle that's right at 12 or 16 lbs. And then have a whole pack full of bags, fancy tripod, Krestel, and whatever else your heart desires. Which I own none of the above. I guess I am a different kind of hunter.

It's not me trying to game the system at all. Just dont want to waste my time if I show up with a hunting rifle and shooting against guys that compete all the time with a bag full of stuff and gadgets that they shoot PRS with. Let's be honest, no one brings all that stuff into the woods for days going after game. They would be sitting over a meadow that had road access not moving all day.

So I think you can understand now where I'm coming from. More along the lines of others gaming the system against hunters shooting hunting rifles. But seems like this challange isn't for me. I'm sure it still will be a blast for guys going and do this stuff regularly.

Last edited:

B-P-UU

Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Thank you OL, again, I understand the situation, even if we found a way to share some equipment, because he's shooting entirely on his own I'm not sure that would be the best situation for him as he is brand new to the sport. I think we should look for something a bit more team oriented but appreciate the willingness to try to accommodate.
If your son has no field match experience, wind calling and miss spotting experience, or if he's not used to shooting on the clock, I would recommend against having this type of event be his first foray into any type of competition. This match sounds a little more advanced than say a PRS or NRL where you have ample time to identify targets and develop a stage strategy with squad mates.

1 day matches are lower key and a great way to get his feet wet.

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
If your son has no field match experience, wind calling and miss spotting experience, or if he's not used to shooting on the clock, I would recommend against having this type of event be his first foray into any type of competition. This match sounds a little more advanced than say a PRS or NRL where you have ample time to identify targets and develop a stage strategy with squad mates.

1 day matches are lower key and a great way to get his feet wet.
Thank you BP, I think you're right, Fred from Bison Tactical is doing a match just down the road from me in May, I think this would be ideal to get his feet wet and see if he's interested in the sport.

Reactions: Ordnance Locker

sstacllc

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Nov 20, 2018
Spokane, WA
sstacllc.com
Looks like a great format. Why penalize guys for running cans by including it in the weight calc? Pound for pound, they aren't good recoil reducers. I can easily run a brake at a few ounces and add weight elsewhere to "game" the light division, but would rather shoot suppressed like I hunt.

That's the only change I would make.
Anything permanently attached through the entire COF is calculated for weight. As per Idaho rifle regulations

sstacllc

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Nov 20, 2018
Spokane, WA
sstacllc.com
This sounds like the match of my dreams, now I just need to figure out how to get to Twin Bridges, and how to get my LD done on my rifles in time.

If you come with a family member or friend will you get squadded (is that a word?) together or are squads chosen randomly?
The match location is in Grand Junction CO now at the Cameo SCEC

sstacllc

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Nov 20, 2018
Spokane, WA
sstacllc.com
I hunt with a bipod attached. My tripod as spotter/binos/laser attached. If I need to use the Tripd its there to hook into.

sstacllc

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Nov 20, 2018
Spokane, WA
sstacllc.com
I'm not gaming anything. In fact its quiet the opposite. I don't shoot PRS or any other fancy matches and my Hunting rifle is less then 12 lbs. I am a hunter and an avid outdoorsman that likes to shoot. Never completed in any shooting event in my life. A hunting challange appealed to me against other hunters. My rifle would be barely over 12 lbs "if" I put on a suppressor and a bipod. I am trying to understand why give the advantage to the guy with some 1000 dollar tripod that he slaps his rifle on, and the guy who wants to throw on a bipod instead it counts towards his weight. But not the other way around. But hey, your rules. Hiking around out here in the west for big game with a bipod is definitely not the normal. Maybe a few out of a 100 that I run across every year out here. In the south and east where you aren't putting in the miles, sure.

What I'm getting at is I dont want to show up to a "Hunting" challenge where it seems it's just going to be tailored to other types of shooters and gear. Guys can show up with his PRS rifle that's right at 12 or 16 lbs. And then have a whole pack full of bags, fancy tripod, Krestel, and whatever else your heart desires. Which I own none of the above. I guess I am a different kind of hunter.

It's not me trying to game the system at all. Just dont want to waste my time if I show up with a hunting rifle and shooting against guys that compete all the time with a bag full of stuff and gadgets that they shoot PRS with. Let's be honest, no one brings all that stuff into the woods for days going after game. They would be sitting over a meadow that had road access not moving all day.

So I think you can understand now where I'm coming from. More along the lines of others gaming the system against hunters shooting hunting rifles. But seems like this challange isn't for me. I'm sure it still will be a blast for guys going and do this stuff regularly.
Most hunters would do much better if they had and knew when to use shooter support equipment. If you don't own a kestrel or some other type of ballistic solver this match will be extraordinarily difficult

Ordnance Locker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
Registration March 1.jpg

Just TWO WEEKS left from tomorrow, registration for the first Hornady Precision Hunter Steel Challenge is on the horizon, and will open at 0900 MST (https://practiscore.com/hornady-precision-hunter-steel-challenge/register). We've been working hard behind the scenes with some great sponsors to make this another amazing event, including side matches and sponsor demonstrations. We'll be announcing more details in the coming months.

A huge THANK YOU to our sponsors so far, that includes...

Hornady
Alpha Munitions
American Precision Arms
Area 419
BadRock Rifles
Bartlein Barrels
Blackjack Bullets
Blue Mountain Precision
Bore Tech
Brux Barrels
Bullet Central - Bix'n Andy
Burris Optics