Hornady Kestrel 5700 Ballistic Weather Meter 4 DOF Official Support Thread

kingston

▬▬ι═ Ѡ ═ι▬▬
Belligerents
Jan 26, 2010
Is there a way to turn off of the yardage slider on the right side of the Kestrel 4DOF app?

kingston

▬▬ι═ Ѡ ═ι▬▬
Belligerents
Jan 26, 2010
I misspoke. The slider is on the Kestrel LinkBallistics App. It’s a nuisance.

that_dude_ryanmichael

Private
Belligerents
Apr 5, 2017
TMOA is true MOA and is usually what your scope is, Smoa is shooters MOA and rounds down to 1 inch
Kestrel does not read altitude, it uses Station Pressure for calculations
Angle is manually entered in the target submenu, it is not read from the app, but you phone may be able to provide that info
A chart of yardage would be a Range Card and is not available in a 5700 Kestrel, only the Elite
The Hornady Kestrel can store 3 gun profiles, more can be stored in the App and transferred as needed.
Axial Form Factor is recommended for calibrating the Hornady Kestrel, however Muzzle Velocity is also user definable
What I understand from using the 4 DOF software in the Hornady App is that the axial from factor is used opposed to a BC. In the app it provides a simplistic way to "True" your data at distance on a chart. Would anyone be able to provide any insight on how this (Truing Data) is accomplished in the 4 DOF Kestrel? Photos and screen shots are greatly appreciated.

drheathman

JawsDoc
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2019
Houston, Texas
Sorry for the ignorance, but I shoot long range and have a Kestrel 5700 Elite.
1.) can I use my current 5700 Elite or do I have to purchase a Kestrel/Hornady 4DOF?
2.) do I have to have a smart phone to run this ballistics program?
3.) how do you obtain the shooting angle? Is that included in the Kestrel/Hornady app or is it an app for a smart phone?
4.) if I have to have a smart phone to run this program (Kestrel/Hornady), what are the phone requirements?

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Sorry for the ignorance, but I shoot long range and have a Kestrel 5700 Elite.
1.) can I use my current 5700 Elite or do I have to purchase a Kestrel/Hornady 4DOF?
2.) do I have to have a smart phone to run this ballistics program?
3.) how do you obtain the shooting angle? Is that included in the Kestrel/Hornady app or is it an app for a smart phone?
4.) if I have to have a smart phone to run this program (Kestrel/Hornady), what are the phone requirements?
Your current Elite has the Applied Ballistics solver. The Hornady 4dof is only in the HornadyKestrel 5700.

Smart phone paired with a Kestrel with Link is the best way to run the ballistic program. The Kestrel is a stand alone, but you will need to build your gun profiles in the phone app using the bullet library and transfer them to the Kestrel. Firmware updates also load through the phone Link. You can use a computer and a special USB cable, but it is a workaround at best.

Angle can be computed in the phone app with the Elite in the Range Card or use a phone app for other applications or enter manually with data from LRF, some LRF can auto enter range and angle.

The free Kestrel Ballistics app requires Android 4.4 or newer and iPhone 5S or newer. Remember phone operating systems get updated and features added. As the Ballistic app gets enhancements older phones may fall out of the minimum requirements due to Android and IOS standards.

FA Duk

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2019
First post from a new shooter ... interested in the 5700 Elite Hornady Model ... want to link to a Leica range finder and the Hornady IPhone app. Shoot Hornady 6.5mm 140 ELD-M which I assume is in the Library but also want to use with Federal GM Match 190G with my .300WM. Two active gun profiles but perhaps a few more.

1. Which Kestral 5700 version do I need?
2. For old school use, can I print out and modify DOPE data?

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
First post from a new shooter ... interested in the 5700 Elite Hornady Model ... want to link to a Leica range finder and the Hornady IPhone app. Shoot Hornady 6.5mm 140 ELD-M which I assume is in the Library but also want to use with Federal GM Match 190G with my .300WM. Two active gun profiles but perhaps a few more.

1. Which Kestral 5700 version do I need?
2. For old school use, can I print out and modify DOPE data?
You have some options you need to evaluate, look here for what each meter provides and then ask some questions about some specifics. If you are OK with $699 the Elite is the quick answer, more limited solutions are available at lower prices.

Printing out dope cards is not a feature of the Kestrel. Range cards are on the screen, only an AA battery away.

FA Duk

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2019
You have some options you need to evaluate, look here for what each meter provides and then ask some questions about some specifics. If you are OK with $699 the Elite is the quick answer, more limited solutions are available at lower prices.

Printing out dope cards is not a feature of the Kestrel. Range cards are on the screen, only an AA battery away.
Can the 4DOF Bluetooth to the rangefinder? On the range cards, can one do a screen print or do I need to take a photo of the screen? Can I display/scroll through the inputs to build a paper model?

FA Duk

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2019
Any word on adding the Elite upgrade to the Hornady?
Or a Hornady Model being a software upgrade to the Elite? I’m sure I read some on Snipershide that a “dopler” Model was being added to the AB library ... is this the same as the 4DOF?

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Or a Hornady Model being a software upgrade to the Elite? I’m sure I read some on Snipershide that a “dopler” Model was being added to the AB library ... is this the same as the 4DOF?
Still no decision on the future of the Hornady Kestrel. I believe that both AB and Hornady use "dopler" radar to create their custom curves and 4DOF solvers, I am not aware of any "dopler" specific model.

Paul Bergara

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Has anyone paired the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4 DOF with a Bushnell Elite 1 mile CONX?

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
What if a bullet is not listed in the 4DOF file? Would I be better off using the model with the AB software?
The 4DOF library is growing every day. If it is not listed then you would need to see if AB has a custom curve for the bullet, if yes, you would need a Kestrel Elite to get the custom curves. If the bullet is not in the custom curve library you will end up building your own profile in either model.

drheathman

JawsDoc
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2019
Houston, Texas
I currently do not have a smart-phone. Does anyone know what phone requirements are needed to operate the 4DOF program? I do have a Kestrel 5700 Elite. I only need the phone to use with the 4DOF and not for anything else, so I want the least expensive option.

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
I currently do not have a smart-phone. Does anyone know what phone requirements are needed to operate the 4DOF program? I do have a Kestrel 5700 Elite. I only need the phone to use with the 4DOF and not for anything else, so I want the least expensive option.
You need a phone or tablet that runs these operating systems:

Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch requires iOS 10.0 or later.

Android requires 5.0 and up.