Harris vs. Ckye Pod...

Ryan7839

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
So, I'm in the market for a new bi-pod for a strictly comp gun.

I know that historically the fully-tricked out Harris has been the go-to, but the Ckye Pod is a pretty good runner-up.

They are both about the same price once outfitted properly.

So who has real-world experience with both and could recommenced one or the other?

Tx_Aggie

Gig 'em
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2017
VA
Dang. I guess I've never thought about putting that much into a Harris. Now I know
Yeah, that’s why I haven’t upgraded mine beyond an ADM QD mount (and it’s excellent as is).

Any additional money I invest into a bipod will be going towards a Ckyepod.

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Wow, anyone that pumps $450 into a stamped metal bipod needs to give their head a shake.

The Ckye-pod is awesome, I love it. Great quality, and a ton of adjustments - I don't know any other bipod as versatile as the Ckye-pod. It really shines in field matches. However, if you only shoot at PRS matches on square ranges where ~95% of the stages involve shooting off of contrived props, you're probably not going to utilize most of the adjustment and features of the bipod.

An Atlas CAL and TBAC bipods are also worth consideration. If you shoot a lot of field matches, then the Ckye-pod has no peers. Otherwise, the Atlas CAL and TBAC are other worthy bipods to consider.

Covertnoob5

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Feb 12, 2017
SoCal
On a side note, any issues with the recommended bipods on heavy recoiling rifles such as a 338 Lapua etc.?
They got a new .50 cal Ckye pod. Everything is 20% beefier but the same adjustments as the regular Ckye. I liked the 5-H a little bit, but no my favorite.

DisplacedTexan

Ornery Tech Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 13, 2014
Hill AFB, UT
Why not both?

I prefer the Harris over most everything, but the ckye pod has some use occasionally. It's worth noting that I shot the entire season with a Harris and didn't feel at a disadvantage.

Jon Pynch did the same I believe.

LawnMM

Harbinger of Sarcasm
Belligerents
Jul 5, 2009
Colorado
I know that historically the fully-tricked out Harris has been the go-to, but the Ckye Pod is a pretty good runner-up.

They're not even close. In any measurable way.

Get the Ckyepod. The Harris is stamped metal, zero improvements since it's inception, and other vendors have had to provide upgrades for stuff it should have from the word go.

Or you could get a Ckyepod and it'll do everything you need and some stuff you don't.

If you don't want to spend Ckyepod money, get an Atlas Cal.

Harris doesn't even make it through the lobby. Nevermind what some pro shooter (among hundreds) uses, you ain't him.

Ryan7839

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/02/10/rifle-bipod-tripod/

Now, granted this article over a year old, but it still highlights some pros/cons of each. This is what I'm basing my "Harris has been the go-to" comment on.

I understand the whole "Harris is stamped, and hasn't been redesigned with all of the updates to accommodate the recoil of a tank" talk.

I currently run CALs, but I need/want to buy a RRS clamp for it anyway, so should I just go Harris at that time? I'm mainly looking for quicker deployment than I can get with the CAL. (Practice more, I know)

Dthomas3523

Well Calloused Knees
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Also gonna suggest one you didn’t ask for lol

TRIPLE LEG CKYE FTW!!
I’m going to limit bipods to 18” or so in local cof’s I make from now on.

Most of the time I don’t buy into “it’s a gear race” but a $1k bipod people are using to get over props and such that others can’t is definitely a gear race.

LawnMM

Harbinger of Sarcasm
Belligerents
Jul 5, 2009
Colorado
Who cares? How's a 24" bipod any different than dowels cut off to fit Atlas legs? Or a tripod?

If you want to strap a kitchen sink to your pack because you like shooting off a faucet, have at it.

The answer to gear you don't like or agree with is a course of fire that negates it's use, if you can't think of a COF that accomplishes that, it should tell you something.

chevy_man

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2019
CKYE.

The ability to flip the legs out to the side is the one thing the harris doesn't do. Our match director likes to toss in a random sloped surface and the ckye is able to compensate. I used my gamechanger on the front and was left without a back bag (I only carry one) guy behind me stepped up with a CKYE and flipped the legs out, dropped his gamechanger in the back and was 100% stable.

I still primarily use a Harris, but the CKYE is worth it over a harris if you're going to spend that money. I like my Harris's for hunting, bench, prone, etc. I also don't do anything to my Harris's, as I've never managed to break one and they're so light I don't bother taking them on/off per stage.

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2014
Boise, Idaho
I've shot for years with a Harris. I've never needed anything else. Never needed any wonky leg shapes etc.

I made my own arca adapter for about $13. That's the only upgrade it's ever needed.