Griffin taper mount - any problems?

NHR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2018
Hey all - I'm getting ready to buy my first can. I was originally thinking Trash Panda, but I'm not thrilled with having one muzzle device option. I was ready to buy a Nomad until I saw the new Griffin Explorr show up.

The specs look great on it- weight, length, etc right where I want to be. They also sell every type of MD you could hope for.

My question is this: does anyone have experience with Griffin taper mounts? Any issues? Good RTZ? I realize the threads are forward of the taper and that may require some cleaning.

ETA: this will be used on a 16" AR for the near term but I have plans to use it on a bolt gun in the future.

18Echo

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 12, 2007
Maricopa Co., AZ
I use the taper mounts for a Recce 7. Use the Recce and taper mounts on a semi-auto SPRish clone in 5.56, and a Gradous custom 7-300 WM. The lock up is great, no back off, and the can works great, shoots about 3 inches straight up from non-suppressed POI at 100. This site definitely has their favorite manufacturer, but Griffin makes an awesome product. I have a Recce 7, Spartan (super underrated can), and Resistance 9.

Reactions: FishinGuns

AK4900PA

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 25, 2013
Just picked up my Griffin Paladin this morning. Haven't shot it yet, but it appears to work almost identical to my SAS T.O.M.B. brakes which work great so I'm confident they'll work just fine.

aslrookie

Private
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
I have a griffin Recce 5 that’s been used for over a year now. Returns to zero, good lock up, never backs off, and doesn’t affect accuracy in a negative way.

I just take a cloth and wipe the carbon on the inside of the suppressor where the taper is and the threads after I am done shooting. Never had an issue with the suppressor getting stuck due to fowling.

Wiping it after each range session isn’t even required. I just do it out of habit.

Winchester59

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Nov 9, 2013
Missouri
I have 2-Griffin Recce 7's, An Optimus and a new Optimus Micro. I have several rifles with both the regular and the mini taper mounts on them. I have had no problems with any Griffin products. They don't seem to get much mention on SH, but I sure like mine.

NHR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2018
That's where I am as well. The Vox, Nomad, and Explorr are all very close in price and functionality. Vox is unobtabium though, so really it's down to Nomad vs Explorr.

The Explorr is a bit lighter and comes with a mount, but you're locked into the Griffin system. No idea how it performs though

Aaros143

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 16, 2013
Austin, TX
I've run a recce 5 for a very long time. Never an issue with the mounts. In a previous job I shot a lot of their stuff and always found it good. They're a solid performer for not stupid high money. Even ran a recce 7 on a bolt rifle for a few matches. Griffin and TBAC are what got me hooked on taper mounts.

FishinGuns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2017
Michigan
No problems with 2 Recce 5’s. I also have 2 M4SDK’s, a Revolution 9, a Checkmate, and a .30 cal Paladin that should come out of jail soon. Probably going to get the Paladin 5 next for yote hunting. I like these Paladins for hunting and my practice, volume guns since they can be cleaned thoroughly and easily. I leave the Recce’s and M4SDKs for defense guns (a Saker in there too for variety!).

I use the white anti-seize lube they recommend on all my taper mounts and have zero issues. Believe I ordered it from McMaster Carr. It’s food grade, so no biggie if you accidentally lick it off. Don’t do that after it’s been carboned-up, though, ha ha! I also use the same stuff on my ASR mount for my Saker 556K, FYI.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers

texasplinker

Private
Belligerents
Jan 7, 2008
Kentucky Bluegrass
I've had a Recce 5 for years. 30 cal Explorr was just ordered. On paper it's a heck of a can. I don't expect to be disappointed. It's stupid light and FA rated.

ToddKS

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Sep 15, 2010
Wichita, KS
No issues with the taper mount on my Recce 5. Works great on my SBR. I run direct thread cans on my bolt guns.