Going bang vs cold

Had one of my 300wm's fail to go bang in cold weather, what I found is most likely in a lot of older Remington's. It's now fixed an has been tested to -25*F (deep freezer over night). Took all the others apart, checked an fixed them as required. Lots of little thing stacking up, but the root cause surprised me. Thinking back to days of spring winding it all was clear what happened.

RoterJager

The Red Hunter
Oct 21, 2013
The Frozen Tundra
I had a round freeze in my AI barrel while hunting the other day. Went from a nice warm truck to -10 to -15 temps in a hurry or vice versa the day night before must have caused a little condensation that froze. The round would not eject after the hunt.

Pulled the bolt and let the gun thaw. Came out real nice once the gun warmed up.

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
I had that occur once in a Ruger M77 while varmint hunting in Alaska winters. Took it apart and totally dried out the bolt. Then went home and grabbed the my Model 700 BDL Varmint I carried in the trunk of my patrol care (LE Sniper Rifle) and took it apart completely drying the bolt.

I took it out and shoot it constantly in super cold temps, worst I think was 68 below. Never had a lick of problems with freeze up.

Some rifles have to be counted on to fire each and every time. You dont always get the option of warming shots.

Warm to cold on a properly designed/built weapon is never an issue. Cold to warn is a different story. I've always laid a cold weapon down an covered it up with my coat (outside part)once I come in from the cold. That way it warms up gradually an does not condensate. The guys from WW II had issues with the M1's freezing, I've ran M14e2's down to -38*F an only had one freeze up in the rearward position, an that was partly my fault from being a FNG with that weapon at those temps.
The 300wm failed do to the firing pin spring dragging on the pin when cold. In warm weather it was never an issue with the factory trigger. When I installed a 510 Timney it failed once, but never did it again until this latest cold weather hit. Kind of glad it happened the way it did, as now I know for a fact all my 700's will go bang to at least -25*F. I've never be a fan of close tolerance on any weapon as it's primary function is to go bang no matter what but, I've seen a lot of this Gucci/tacticool B/S fail often. Having a bug hole stick is OK if you never have to depend on it except for paper or steel.

The spring tightened around the pin?
Yes it did. In warm weather it was dragging, unbeknownst to me, an when I installed the Timeny just that little change added just enough that it would not fire in the cold. Remember the firing pin material is different from the firing pin spring material. My guess is the pin/spring clearance has always been wrong from the factory. This is an older gun with a solid pin not like the later pins that are straight fluted at 120*, but even at that one of the fluted pins in another 700 was dragging it's pin as well. I removed them all an corrected those that were dragging or had very little clearance, then polished them all. I can defiantly tell the difference between the before an after just with my ear, as they all now have a very quick an sharp snap vs before. I've heard tails of 700's not going bang in cold weather before, but this was a first for me. Last thing I want is a full scope an just get a click when I pull the trigger.

All the pin diameters were with in 0.0015, so I am guessing the mandrels they use for the springs were correct as well. I'm thinking the material make up in the spring wire had changed. I've seen spring wire change in a single length before so my guess is the heat treating was lacking somewhere along the line. I've ordered new 28# wolf springs for them all but, will still check them before installing. The odd thing is one 308 has over 17,000 rds down it an it had the best spring of all? The one that failed (300wm) has less than 1000 rds thru it although it's an older gun, the other 300wm has over 10,000 on it's bolt and it's fine?

RoterJager

The Red Hunter
Oct 21, 2013
The Frozen Tundra
Warm to cold on a properly designed/built weapon is never an issue. Cold to warn is a different story. I've always laid a cold weapon down an covered it up with my coat (outside part)once I come in from the cold. That way it warms up gradually an does not condensate. The guys from WW II had issues with the M1's freezing, I've ran M14e2's down to -38*F an only had one freeze up in the rearward position, an that was partly my fault from being a FNG with that weapon at those temps.
The 300wm failed do to the firing pin spring dragging on the pin when cold. In warm weather it was never an issue with the factory trigger. When I installed a 510 Timney it failed once, but never did it again until this latest cold weather hit. Kind of glad it happened the way it did, as now I know for a fact all my 700's will go bang to at least -25*F. I've never be a fan of close tolerance on any weapon as it's primary function is to go bang no matter what but, I've seen a lot of this Gucci/tacticool B/S fail often. Having a bug hole stick is OK if you never have to depend on it except for paper or steel.

My best guess, is that it still had a bit of condensation on the cartridge from bringing the gun inside the night before.

Apr 25, 2008
wilds of montana
I hate to tell on myself but... A few years ago I was bragging to my sister about the new set of clothes I had applied to a 1911. Probably to humor me she asked to see said 1911. I strolled out to get it out of my pick up where it was a balmy -25*F, came inside, dropped the mag an cleared it. We then watched the slide move forward to battery, 1...2....3....4....5.
No more grease for 1911's in the winter time,ever! My Sis did think it was purty though.

I pulled the firing pin springs from all my 700's. One of them curled almost 90* 2 others went at least 20* from straight. Changed everyone to 28# wolf, both 300wm's now shoot holes much easier than before, before you had to drive them hard, not so much now. Tomorrow I'm going to try the 308's an a 223. One 308 has over 17K rds thru it (worst spring) an the groups were random at times. Thinking back they were the better in warm vs cold. Talked to jhuskey an he said the AMU went thru the same thing long ago with springs, so hoping this 308 will return to days of old.

We then watched the slide move forward to battery, 1...2....3....4....5.
Years ago when I was shooting bullseye 45 I had some 50 yd loads for slow fire that I played with. It went bang then about 1.5-2 seconds later it was cur-chunk, when it went back into battery. We use to laugh that we could have coffee between those shots. lol
My std load was 3.5 of bullseye at 25 an 4.2 at 50 shooting a 200gr SWC never had to change sight picture or mess with the sights. Use to load a box of 50rds for 65 cents. After the match we would dig thru the bank for lead to cast up for the next match.

Aug 16, 2010
Frostbite falls,MN
My muzzleloader froze up on me when I was sitting a long time in a stand, it had been snowing and windy . I was using my gloved hand over the breech to protect it from snow build up but come time to take the shot it did not go bang. Good bye deer.

Top Bottom