Gen 3 Rail Mounted Laser Rangefinder

The King

Showercookie Monster
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2004
Lambreth, Connecticut
Now that the Silencerco has gone by the wayside, I think we should have a discussion about what a Gen3 unit could entail.

1. Ballistics and weather.
2. The ability to connect to a Weatherflow bluetooth meter for wind.
c. Rotary dial that you push for menus. great for gloves.
3. Ability to participate in bluetooth enabled systems.
4. Use the new laser tech that's in the Vortex 5000 or Sig BDX 3000 binos
V. IR laser.
6. Green laser.
7. IR illuminator.
8. Night vision compatibility and mega daylight display too.
9er. CR123 battery
10. multifunction tape switch
11. All metal.
12. Holds zero great
13. $1000 price range.
14. Accurate compass.

The King

Showercookie Monster
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2004
Lambreth, Connecticut
To any company smart enough to listen and skilled enough to deliver. So right now, nobody.

That said, the laser in a laser rangefinder could certainly be dual driven to be a an IR unit. Ballistics stuff isn't killer expensive anymore - plenty of processing power even in a stupid IOT chip.

Steiner/LDI could make this thing tomorrow IMHO.

dgheriani

Private
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Aren't you basically describing the high end RAPTAR (minus bluetooth but with AB on board)? Definitely more than $1K though.

The King

Showercookie Monster
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2004
Lambreth, Connecticut
Some - except the new generation of 905nm long range laser tech brings an inexpensive version of this unit within practical fiscal limits.

The 1550nm laser stuff automatically pushes the cost of anything with it up past $3k pretty much.

And to be frank, I don’t like Wilcoxs version of this concept.

Aren't you basically describing the high end RAPTAR (minus bluetooth but with AB on board)? Definitely more than $1K though.

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
Now that the Silencerco has gone by the wayside, I think we should have a discussion about what a Gen3 unit could entail.

1. Ballistics and weather.
2. The ability to connect to a Weatherflow bluetooth meter for wind.
c. Rotary dial that you push for menus. great for gloves.
3. Ability to participate in bluetooth enabled systems.
4. Use the new laser tech that's in the Vortex 5000 or Sig BDX 3000 binos
V. IR laser.
6. Green laser.
7. IR illuminator.
8. Night vision compatibility and mega daylight display too.
9er. CR123 battery
10. multifunction tape switch
11. All metal.
12. Holds zero great
13. $1000 price range.
14. Accurate compass.
Maybe in many years down the road as technology becomes cheaper would this even be feasible. The technology involved in just 50% of those items drives $1000 price tag.

Nonetheless it would be cool as fuck.

What I think would be more feasible and at a better price tag is a standalone weapon mounted rangefinder with a smaller footprint than the Raptar. Aside from specialized groups the civilian niche for that level of equipment is likely to small for companies to take interest in.

On the flip side what about a $3k price tag on a MAWL with rangefinding capabilities?

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
I wonder if there is a BE Meyers rep in these parts... 🤔

Or Shot Show 2020 is gonna blow all our minds.

Reactions: The King

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I like the idea of it being easily integrated into a spotter, too. Something like a LMSS that already has rail/accessory mounting points.

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
I like the idea of it being easily integrated into a spotter, too. Something like a LMSS that already has rail/accessory mounting points.
That would be awesome and cover a 0% covered market. Only spotter / ranger remotely in the ballpark is the Newcon with integrated rangefinder and it ain’t cheap and the units are married. Options are great and that would allow for, aside from the cost of the ranging unit, a lot of price levels to play the game with regards to spotting scopes.