Gas-gun handguard recommendations

Robmills72

Not Rob
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2019
San Antonio, TX
I’ve been waiting for 3 months for Geissele to get out my mk18 handguard and I’ve grown impatient. Add to that the fact that just getting them to answer the phone has been unsuccessful and I’m looking at different options.

looking for recommendations for a 15-16” handguard that has built in arca compatibility or at the very least MLOK slots for a bolt on rail

thanks

digitalshooter

Private
Belligerents
Jan 25, 2013
Tempe, Az
Can't comment on one with an arca rail but there are plenty of rails with mlock on the market. SLR, Aero Precision, BCM, Vseven and a bunch of others. I have a SLR hand guard and love. Great products AND customer service.

Mwalex

Private
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2011
I have used multiple handguards from SLR and VSeven. The quality from both manufacturers is outstanding.

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2005
Gulf Coast, FL
I was in the same boat and was contemplating buying a Seekins DMR or a SP3R rail with a Sawtooth instead but my MK18 finally showed up from the BF sale and it was worth the wait. I'm putting together a SPR upper for my brother with the Seekins rail instead.

plt228

Private
Belligerents
Feb 1, 2011
Robertsdale, AL
I was in the same boat and was contemplating buying a Seekins DMR or a SP3R rail with a Sawtooth instead but my MK18 finally showed up from the BF sale and it was worth the wait. I'm putting together a SPR upper for my brother with the Seekins rail instead.
Let us know how they compare. I’ve looked at the MK18 but wasn’t sure if it’s got enough clearance for the gas block. The Seekins has plenty.

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2005
Gulf Coast, FL
Let us know how they compare. I’ve looked at the MK18 but wasn’t sure if it’s got enough clearance for the gas block. The Seekins has plenty.
I did run into an issue with GB clearance and was a little bummed out at first but after shooting it it's no big deal. I had ordered a Superlative .750" adjustable clamp on GB but the clamp screw heads clear by half a cunthair, the littlest pressure and it contacted so I decided not to run it. I put the Geissele on that came with the rail and took it to the range and with the Proof 18" rifle gas barrel if shot super soft suppressed and unsuppressed with a H1 super 42 spring and LMT enhanced BCG and accuracy was superb so I'm going to pin it and call it good. I was told the SLR will work with it and I'd be the set screw type Superlative would too.

The Seekins SP3R cleared the .875" Superlative clamp on that I used on a 224V upper. Definitely way more clearance with the Seekins. I like the profile of the Geissele way more though.

Rlandry

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
I would hold out for the high dollar Geissele. I don't think you can be competitive unless you pay triple prices for upgrades. LOL

Jigstick

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 21, 2017
PA
What about a Daniel Defense MFR XL? I’m leaning that way for my SBR. MLOK, full top rail, and ID big enough to clear a suppressor.

ToddM

Philanthropist
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jul 1, 2008
PA
WOA has a new handguard out that looks pretty good. They made them with a 2.5-3" long barrel nut the handguard clamps to so it should be wicked stiff. They also made lengths that would be slightly shorter than most gas blocks so you don't have to play the game if hoping you have gas block clearance. The only downside is you have to either use a strap wrench or buy their barrel nut tool as it has no flats for a wrench. Beyond that you can't go wrong with JP, or Seekins SP3RV3 and adding an arca rail. There's a lot of expensive, light handguards out there that are not really that stiff, if it's a clamp on you really want a long barrel nut to clamp to.

Robmills72

Not Rob
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2019
San Antonio, TX
I ordered through a dealer that I do work for sometime. Ordered on 19 DEC and have yet to be able to get them on the phone to even let me know where its at in the process. I did get an email back from them but it was with estimated lead times for new orders, not those placed 2 months ago.

I really dig the Geissele rail and have fondled them on a buddy's build. Just wishing they were a little more transparent.

The complete (other than handguard) build that stares at me everytime I break into my safe does not help. I think I will hold out, just hope it isnt too much longer. Thanks for the info guys, I definitely have some other options if this doesnt pan out.

101stinfantry

Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
AR
Only one I can comment on is the Samson mfg. forearms. The ones I have used have been good.